Main Menu

WANT!

Started by bayonetbrant, October 08, 2013, 06:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Martok

Love the Star Trek prints! 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bayonetbrant

For all you Navy types

Yes it's a kayak, not a canoe

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

not so much that I want this, but I'd love to have one of these in my neighborhood

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

bbmike

Quote from: Windigo on July 28, 2014, 03:46:59 PM
http://bcove.me/w68gb2f4

.... for unwanted guests

Cool! But without knowing what's going on I thinking that can't be as harmless as they claim.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

GOT!  :D

Back when I was in high school, I was not only ranked my senior year as the 2nd best (high school) bass clarinetist in the state, but for my junior summer year I got to play with an ancient Selmer metal paperclip contra-bass clarinet, arguably the lowest register production horn in the world. There are a few horns built which can play lower but aren't in normal production -- including at least two lower clarinets, and a hyperbass flute which has a range similar to some massive organs, lower than human hearing! But the "paperclip" contrabass, and a super-expensive modern German model (seriously costing more than my car) can play the lowest B-flat on a piano, only one half-note above low A. At anything below C-sharp, though, a clarinet can't make a distinct tone, so most contras only go down to that, which on such clarinets plays as E-flat (or one octave below a standard bass, two below a standard clarinet.)

Anyway. I kept at it through my first two Christmases in college at which time I dropped band/orchestra because it conflicted with my new hobby fencing.

Which I much enjoyed and did okay at -- I can still teach all three weapons -- but for 23-1/2 years no more bass clarinets.

Until now.

At last.

At long last.

Not one, but two. (Thanks to an insanely good deal from Brook Mays, thanks in turn to some legal issues about certain new instruments in their backstock.)

Not just basses, but a BB-flat contrabass (no low C, and not a paperclip, but those are rare/old and/or super-expensive) and an EE-flat contralto (essentially the clarinet version of a bass sax.)

Pixs tomorrow. It's hard to tell their scale from being in cases, and hilariously my cork grease (and synthetic Legere reed) hasn't arrived yet so I'm leery about trying to put them together. Really nice cases, tho. As the Triplette guys like to say about their top-line fencing bag, "Jimmy Hoffa would be proud to be stuffed into a case this nice!"
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Mr. Bigglesworth

You have band camp stories to share?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Ubercat

As long as it's not about how he stuck his flute in .... nevermind.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Ubercat on July 30, 2014, 08:13:20 AMAs long as it's not about how he stuck his flute in .... nevermind.

where you should have stopped--------------->---------------------->-----------------------> where you went instead

Martok

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 29, 2014, 04:33:26 PM
GOT!  :D

Back when I was in high school, I was not only ranked my senior year as the 2nd best (high school) bass clarinetist in the state, but for my junior summer year I got to play with an ancient Selmer metal paperclip contra-bass clarinet, arguably the lowest register production horn in the world. There are a few horns built which can play lower but aren't in normal production -- including at least two lower clarinets, and a hyperbass flute which has a range similar to some massive organs, lower than human hearing! But the "paperclip" contrabass, and a super-expensive modern German model (seriously costing more than my car) can play the lowest B-flat on a piano, only one half-note above low A. At anything below C-sharp, though, a clarinet can't make a distinct tone, so most contras only go down to that, which on such clarinets plays as E-flat (or one octave below a standard bass, two below a standard clarinet.)

Anyway. I kept at it through my first two Christmases in college at which time I dropped band/orchestra because it conflicted with my new hobby fencing.

Which I much enjoyed and did okay at -- I can still teach all three weapons -- but for 23-1/2 years no more bass clarinets.

Until now.

At last.

At long last.

Not one, but two. (Thanks to an insanely good deal from Brook Mays, thanks in turn to some legal issues about certain new instruments in their backstock.)

Not just basses, but a BB-flat contrabass (no low C, and not a paperclip, but those are rare/old and/or super-expensive) and an EE-flat contralto (essentially the clarinet version of a bass sax.)

Pixs tomorrow. It's hard to tell their scale from being in cases, and hilariously my cork grease (and synthetic Legere reed) hasn't arrived yet so I'm leery about trying to put them together. Really nice cases, tho. As the Triplette guys like to say about their top-line fencing bag, "Jimmy Hoffa would be proud to be stuffed into a case this nice!"
Cool!  As a guy who always wanted to play the clarinet (but it turns out couldn't play any woodwind instrument whatsoever, not even to save my soul), I look forward to seeing pics.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mirth