Main Menu

Started by eyebiter, October 21, 2013, 09:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyebiter

Centurion40

As a citizen of a nation which is militarily allied to Germany, I must admit that I like this part of the article:

The evolving role of the Bundeswehr, Germany's armed forces, in the conflict has helped to dramatically reshape it as a more experienced and capable fighting operation.

But this part of the article, well, I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Yet the German public has become even more opposed to military engagement overseas than it was 10 years ago, calling into question what sort of role the Bundeswehr will play in supporting NATO and the United Nations in future international conflicts.

I certainly understand the concerns of the German people, in light of Canada's involvement in Afghanistan.  How many soldier's lives need to be lost in a country that is highly unlikely to evolve into a stable democratic nation?  It may evolve into a stable theocratic dictatorship, but that outcome is not worth the life of any NATO soldier.

That being said, I all want NATO soldiers to be well trained and tested.  Therefore I hope that the Germans will consent to send their soldiers into future NATO sanctioned conflicts.
Any time is a good time for pie.

LongBlade

The Germans have their history pounded into them from childhood.

Rightfully they're wary of too aggressive a military.

I suspect most of the world trusts the Germans more than they trust themselves these days.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Grimnirsson

Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grimnirsson

Ah, but we are not as black as we are painted so you can trust some of us  :)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

LongBlade

Quote from: Grimnirsson on October 23, 2013, 08:57:41 AM
Ah, but we are not as black as we are painted so you can trust some of us  :)

I'm not going to spend much time worrying until you get Hugo Boss to update the military uniforms.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Keunert

i second gus sentiment: i am afraid europe would ferl a lot less relaxed if germany would act like france or russia. germany leads the continent in some aspects anyway. a more nationalistic behaviour would have a negative impact.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Gusington

The Germans and Austrians I have met personally have been warm fun people. It's when 100 million of them get together under a single purpose that gets me jittery.

And like Keunert is saying, Germany is the heart of Europe. Financially, politically, culturally...the only reason they are not militarily is because they were defeated in the two world wars and were subsequently demilitarized...detoothed.

Ultimately its natural for Germany to lead Europe and has been for a long time. It's when Germans go above and beyond simple leadership and drive towards hegemony that I get nervous. It's a fine line.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

not to be the shit disturber here... but how long do you think they will put up with the kinda shit that's going down in the EU?

Greece is blaming Germany for its hard times....  and they are the first of several more to slip into the debt abyss
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.