Anyone else suffer from acidreflux/GERD?

Started by Centurion40, June 28, 2012, 05:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centurion40

I'm having one agonizing hell of time right now and wondering what others do get relief!
Any time is a good time for pie.

Azzurri

Try Zegerid, 40...seems to do the trick although it is not cheap...

Steelgrave

My wife has it. She takes a Nexium every morning for it, seems to help. Sorry you have it, I know how damned uncomfortable it can be   :-[

LongBlade

Let me ask around. I've got a relative who has some expertise in this.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Prilosec won't give you immediate relief, but should help in the longer time.

If you have a consistent issue you need to be on a "PPI" or Proton Pump Inhibitor. This PPI takes about a week to kick in, and Prilosec will fill in for the interrim.

In the mean time you can try some over the counter stuff for immediate relief.

Of course, you're best off consulting a real physician instead of an internet post... ;)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MetalDog

I was diagnosed with GERD two years ago.  I kept getting pressure in my chest and my left arm going numb and it scared the shit out of me.  So, one night after work, I went to the emergency room.  That started the ball rolling. 

Once they determined that it was GERD and H.Pylori, they made me take two antibiotics to kill the H.Pylori and Nexium to handle the reflux.  After a while, I continued having the pressure and the numbness, and as I thought it was the Nexium, I stopped taking it.

Now, I rarely have the symptoms anymore.  Part of it is to do with my S.O.  Having someone in my life to love me has changed my mental and emotional outlook, which, in turn, has changed my physical state.  When I do have symptoms, I take a couple of Tums.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Centurion40

Thanks guys.  I've been on omeprazole for over a year, but something has happened over the past 5 days and the horrible, burning agony is nearly driving me crazy. I went to emergency this morning.  They ruled-out heart attack, told me to double the dosage of omeprazole, and gave me some tylenol 3 for the pain.  The t3 is taking the edge off of it, but like the dawg said there is a good deal of panic on my end.

I'm going to look into these ppi's and zegerid.  Thanks again for your responses.

Centurion40

MIGMaster

Stay way from the caffeine man ! It totally exacerbates acid reflux and other related shit. That's what I'm going thru right now - I think I might have to go on methadone to get off the Pepsi  :(

Centurion40

Brother, I am f-ed up right now, no guff.

Staggerwing

Damn! Sorry to hear that Cent. I hope you feel better soon, whatever it takes.
One thing you can try at night is sleeping on your left side. Apparently the position of the esophageal sphincter is then raised slightly minimizing pressure on it from stomach secretions and contents.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

The more you elevate the head and shoulders, the less acid creeps up.  There were nights that I woke from a dead sleep thinking, "I'm coming, Elizabeth!"  It's some scary stuff, 40.  But, as long as the doctor has definitively ruled out heart problems, then the crap you feel is a result of the acid in the esophagus.  Burp or fart and the pressure should release.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Centurion40

Brothers, I am sucking down gravol (for the nausea), tylenol 3 and gaviscon or maalox or whatever I can get my hands on!! It's unholy.  I think that my esophagus has been BBQed!

Shelldrake

Hey Cent40,

I feel your pain, having suffered from GERD off and on for years. If you can, get a prescription for rabeprazol, which is a proton pump inhibitor that is really effective. Over the counter pepcid (famotidine) or zantac (ranitidine) are histamine antagonists that help but are not as potent as rabeprazol in my experience. I also found that chewing gum (sugarless of course) after a meal helps. Apparently the saliva that is generated and swallowed neutralizes the acid in your esophagus. Losing a few pounds also helps since it reduces pressure on the sphincter between your stomach and esophagus. Certain foods also aggravate the condition. For me fatty foods (especially pizza) are the worst but caffeine, chocolate, peppermint, and alcolhol can also trigger reflux.

Chronic GERD is bad news. The discomfort is bad enough but GERD also greatly increases your risk of esophageal cancer. If you have had reflux for several years you should ask your family doc about an endoscopic examination to check for precancerous changes caused by the chronic inflammation.

Lots of good information at this site.
http://www.medicinenet.com/gastroesophageal_reflux_disease_gerd/page6.htm
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Martok

Damn, that sounds like pure hell 40Cent.  As someone who suffers from (a - thankfully! - moderate case of) acid reflux, I strongly sympathize. 

I wish I had some sage/helpful advice to give, but the fellas have pretty much already covered any words of wisdom I might have.  As it is, I wish you the very best of luck in dealing with your problem!  I know only too well how miserable it can be. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces