Anyone else suffer from acidreflux/GERD?

Started by Centurion40, June 28, 2012, 05:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

My wife, given her special *condition*, is now suffering from acid reflux fairly regularly. I get it all the time myself. She has been using a natural remedy, Papaya Enzyme Extract and it has been working fairly well. They are nice, slightly fruit flavored, chewables that work similar to Tums.

Another more natural remedy for GERD is to take a Calcium supplement. If you think about it, stuff like Tums are actually just doses of Calcium in chewable form. Also, there has been research that suggests Zinc is as effective or more effective than antacids. You might check with your Doc to make sure that these won't counteract your medicines, but they can be a cheaper alternative with fewer side effects.

You could also try taking a Probiotic supplement. These are basically the little guys that are in yogurt and they are good for your GE tract. My wife has had good luck with those, although I'm a bit intolerant of pills and so they never really helped out for me.

Oh course the biggest thing is to change diet and lifestyle (something I grapple with). Fried foods are killer for GERD, as are soda pops. Cutting out soda is a HUGE help and it can really help you lose weight with very little effort (the amount of calories in soda is shocking). Replacing soda with tea can work, as the anti-oxidents in tea are beneficial.

As far as medicine, my Dad had good results from Nexium. He also uses Prilosec and Prevacid, but you have to remember these are preventative, so you need to take them before a meal or event that gives you heartburn. They are less useful after the fact, as they take a few hours to kick in (and by that time you are miserable).

Small changes can also help. Stay upright for at least 3 hours after eating (no lounging in the chair or recliner after the meal). Alcohol KILLS me, so I have to be careful about my beer intake (bubbles + alcohol = major reflux). Coffee can be harsh, but I'm too stubborn to give up that. Everything we love wants to kill us, you know?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Centurion40

Thanks for the tips and the sympathies.  I'm now in day 3 of agony, fortunately the agony is a bit less today than yesterday.  I had an ultrasound on my gall bladder and just got back from my doctor.  There is a gall stone to complicated matters.  An appointment is being set for me to consult with a surgeon.

Yesterday, I began doubling my doses of omeprazole.  I've been told to avoid all fatty foods, dairy, and citrus fruit.  I've been able to eat 3 bananas in the past 2 days.  I'm going to try a grilled, skinless chicken breast and some steamed carrots today.  I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Shelldrake

^Hmmm...any possibility that you are having a gallstone attack?

In any case, gall bladder removal is a snap when it can be done by laparoscopic surgery. I went in for elective surgery at 6am and was resting at home by 1pm. A couple days later and I was good as new - just had to be careful showering until the incisions healed. The only complication (and it was an unpleasant one) was that I had to visit the ER to be catheterized the evening of my surgery because my bladder decided that it didn't want to work but all was back to normal in 24 hours.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Centurion40

Yeah, they think I might be having a gall stone attack along with GERD.  Whatever it is, it is awful, debilitating and I want it to stop!!

Shelldrake

Quote from: Centurion40 on June 29, 2012, 11:34:47 AM
Yeah, they think I might be having a gall stone attack along with GERD.  Whatever it is, it is awful, debilitating and I want it to stop!!

I am a bit surprised that the option of emergency gall bladder surgery wasn't suggested to you.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

son_of_montfort

Yeah, this sounds more like a flare up than GERD. I have a friend who has Gall Bladder problems and when his flared up it basically made him have horrible reflux, nausea, and bowl "issues." He had to ride it out, because the docs were not convinced it was anything more than a temporary attack.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Centurion40

Quote from: Shelldrake on June 29, 2012, 11:39:22 AM
Quote from: Centurion40 on June 29, 2012, 11:34:47 AM

I am a bit surprised that the option of emergency gall bladder surgery wasn't suggested to you.

Things have calmed down a bit, I've only eaten banana for the past 2 days.. but I did have a bare, grilled boneless, skinless chicken breat tonight, a little hard to take, but better.  Overall things still suck, but not as bad as this time yesterday, thank Christ!  My GP is referring me to a surgeon, but he said it will take time.  If it all happens again, like the past couple of days, I'll go right into emergency; if I do that every time, they'll speed up the surgery date just to keep me out of the emergency room!

So what's life like without a gall bladder?  Are you on a restricted diet?

Centurion40

Quote from: son_of_montfort on June 29, 2012, 12:28:39 PM
Yeah, this sounds more like a flare up than GERD. I have a friend who has Gall Bladder problems and when his flared up it basically made him have horrible reflux, nausea, and bowl "issues." He had to ride it out, because the docs were not convinced it was anything more than a temporary attack.

Yeah man, riding shit out really sucks.

Shelldrake

Quote from: Centurion40 on June 29, 2012, 06:07:38 PM

I didn't have to change my diet at all. Just glad to be rid of it!

Dean Edell

Barthheart

Quote from: Shelldrake on June 29, 2012, 08:05:16 PM
Quote from: Centurion40 on June 29, 2012, 06:07:38 PM

I didn't have to change my diet at all. Just glad to be rid of it!

Friend of mine had his out and only change in diet was to reduce fat intake... So no more deep fried chicken etc....

Centurion40

I don't eat fried chicken now, it makes me sick to the stomach.  Giving up pizza will be hard, if it comes to that.

Windigo

what did your blood work come back with?

When SLCG had gall bladder attacks several stress enzymes that are released by the pancreas went sky high.

I have hyper-acidic production associated with those little bacterial bastards that cause ulcers so the pantoprazole works fucking awesome.

I am truly sorry for your suffering....   I can't believe they are just giving you T3s.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

MikeGER

Centurion40 Get well soon !!!

sorry i cant contribute all to much to the health advices. I had some milder but growing symptoms of reflux in the past but i was sure i could traced them down to either heavy feasting or hard liquor digestif or serious anger. i didn't take any medicine, i just started sleeping with a few degrees elevated upper body... and its all gone, with exception of a few days in a year.     
(still feasting still drinking, in a relish way ... but tried to reduced the anger-triggers ;-) ) 

Centurion40

Quote from: Windigo on June 30, 2012, 12:13:43 AM

When SLCG had gall bladder attacks several stress enzymes that are released by the pancreas went sky high.

I have hyper-acidic production associated with those little bacterial bastards that cause ulcers so the pantoprazole works fucking awesome.

I am truly sorry for your suffering....   I can't believe they are just giving you T3s.

Everything, blood-wise was normal.  Due to my symptoms, the emergency room doc sent me for the gallbladder ultrasound in order to rule it out... and there was the stone!

Barthheart

Quote from: Centurion40 on June 30, 2012, 05:28:55 AM
Quote from: Windigo on June 30, 2012, 12:13:43 AM

Well at least you know what's going on now. Can you pass those or do they have to dig them out??  :P
Everything, blood-wise was normal.  Due to my symptoms, the emergency room doc sent me for the gallbladder ultrasound in order to rule it out... and there was the stone!