RC Boating Mis-Adventures

Started by MIGMaster, August 05, 2012, 01:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

As some of your fine gentlemen know, I'm an avid RC Dude! I luv subs and boats, etc.... Well earlier this Summer when the RC boating season started I went out and bought a new Miss Geico catamaran. It is by far the fastest boat I've ever owned. So after a few trips to the local lake, I'm beginning to get a bit more confident with my skills. I take one of my other boats and park it down the lake from a diving raft to use as an adhoc race course. So after about 20 rounds, I get really cocky and I'm doing everything full throttle - I'm getting a fair amount of "drift" or skidding on the turns - my speed is about 36 mph. The last lap I skip off a wave top and drive right thru the top of the boat I had parked. My Miss Geico goes about 10 feet in the air with the top hatch and waterproof cover just flying in different directions, while my second boat begins to sink. Once my Geico lands upside down in the lake, it too, sinks just about completely. Both boats just have their noses above the water line due to the flotation foam inside.  This has all taken place about 40 yards off shore. 

At this point, I jump in my car drive home - approx 20 minutes - and grab a life jacket, as it is way too far to swim with a boat (or two) in tow and get back to the lake at just about dark. By this point, I have a crowd watching me swim out and grab the boats and pieces. Finally, after 20 minutes of recovery operations, I'm ready to go home. This little RC boating accident cost me about $750.00. I'm currently in the process of restoring the Geico back to full operation, but the steel rudder of my cat just sliced my other boat - the jury is still out on that one.

All-in-all, this is how a 45 year old kids spends an evening RC'ing  ;) - I'll post some pics later! Oh...for some reason my wife was not impressed  ;D   

Staggerwing

Is it later yet? I want to see those pix!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: MIGMaster on August 05, 2012, 01:36:04 PM
Oh...for some reason my wife was not impressed  ;D   

Are they ever?  Unless your hobby is vacuuming, they'll moan about it.  Hell, even if your hobby is vacuuming, they'll still find a way to moan.

bob48

Funny you should say that - I got pulled over the coals yesterday for 'not holding it the right way' (the vacuuum thingie, that is)............I'm not kidding, she should have been a drill sergeant.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 05, 2012, 02:15:50 PM

Are they ever?  Unless your hobby is vacuuming, they'll moan about it.  Hell, even if your hobby is vacuuming, they'll still find a way to moan.

Oddly enough, when you put the words 'Women', 'Vacuum', and 'Moaning' together I get a very different thought...
Maybe that's why the proverbial 'Happy Housewife' always was... happy, that is... 8)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Centurion40

As some of your fine gentlemen know, I'm an avid RC Dude! I luv subs and boats, etc.... Well earlier this Summer when the RC boating season started I went out and bought a new Miss Geico catamaran. It is by far the fastest boat I've ever owned. So after a few trips to the local lake, I'm beginning to get a bit more confident with my skills. I take one of my other boats and park it down the lake from a diving raft to use as an adhoc race course. So after about 20 rounds, I get really cocky and I'm doing everything full throttle - I'm getting a fair amount of "drift" or skidding on the turns - my speed is about 36 mph. The last lap I skip off a wave top and drive right thru the top of the boat I had parked. My Miss Geico goes about 10 feet in the air with the top hatch and waterproof cover just flying in different directions, while my second boat begins to sink. Once my Geico lands upside down in the lake, it too, sinks just about completely. Both boats just have their noses above the water line due to the flotation foam inside.  This has all taken place about 40 yards off shore. 

At this point, I jump in my car drive home - approx 20 minutes - and grab a life jacket, as it is way too far to swim with a boat (or two) in tow and get back to the lake at just about dark. By this point, I have a crowd watching me swim out and grab the boats and pieces. Finally, after 20 minutes of recovery operations, I'm ready to go home. This little RC boating accident cost me about $750.00. I'm currently in the process of restoring the Geico back to full operation, but the steel rudder of my cat just sliced my other boat - the jury is still out on that one.

All-in-all, this is how a 45 year old kids spends an evening RC'ing  ;) - I'll post some pics later! Oh...for some reason my wife was not impressed  ;D   

See now, if Jeff was there, he coulda shot one of the boats, or thumped some bystanders... or both!

Next time, bring the life jacket with you, and a photographer.
Any time is a good time for pie.

undercovergeek

Quote from: bob48 on August 05, 2012, 02:26:02 PM
Funny you should say that - I got pulled over the coals yesterday for 'not holding it the right way' (the vacuuum thingie, that is)............I'm not kidding, she should have been a drill sergeant.

at this point Bob, you calmly switch it off, hand the vacuum to Mrs Bob and say 'thats ok love, you f****** do it' and march somewhere very quick

DO NOT LOOK BEHIND YOU

Greybriar

....All-in-all, this is how a 45 year old kids spends an evening RC'ing  ;) - I'll post some pics later! Oh...for some reason my wife was not impressed  ;D   

As a female friend of mine was fond of saying, "The only difference between the men and the boys is the price of their toys."  ;)
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bob48

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 05, 2012, 03:15:03 PM
Quote from: bob48 on August 05, 2012, 02:26:02 PM

at this point Bob, you calmly switch it off, hand the vacuum to Mrs Bob and say 'thats ok love, you f****** do it' and march somewhere very quick

DO NOT LOOK BEHIND YOU

have you ever tried to walk with the blunt end of a vacuum up yer arse :-{{

'Clip those corners'

undercovergeek

but at least you can waddle out with your dignity and pride

bob48

...and a tear in either eye....aint technology wonderful - here I am talking to you both on Grog and Steam at the same time..

'Clip those corners'

undercovergeek

see despite what THEY say - we can multitask

bob48

If I tell her that, she get me vacuuming AND dusting at the same time......

'Clip those corners'

TheCommandTent

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident.  I wish we could have seen some pictures before they sunk.  Although I am sure your local hobby store will appreciate the business when you come in for repairs of a new boat.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Centurion40

He's probably single-handedly keeping some store from closing it's doors!!
Any time is a good time for pie.