The Great War of Archimedes (Japanese fictional war movie about the Yamato)

Started by steve58, April 29, 2021, 02:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

So I stumbled on this while I was searching for info about upgrading a kitchen before selling a house :o.  That led me to an article on military.com and then I sees this:

https://www.military.com/off-duty/movies/2021/04/29/japanese-war-movie-aims-reveal-secrets-of-wwii-battleship-yamato.html
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Anguille

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Lowenstaat

From the trailer, the tone reminds me a bit of the movie The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell
"Initiative compensates for a lack of skill."

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Destraex

I came here to post this. I remember an older movie about the sinking of the Yamato and how the movie was boring as heck. Because you were simply waiting to see a ship sunk.. the end. This at least may add some spice. But I would like to see a little alternative ending where the ship is saved because the conspiracy is uncovered or something. I don't want to see it sunk again.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Destraex on April 30, 2021, 09:44:18 AM
I came here to post this. I remember an older movie about the sinking of the Yamato and how the movie was boring as heck. Because you were simply waiting to see a ship sunk.. the end. This at least may add some spice. But I would like to see a little alternative ending where the ship is saved because the conspiracy is uncovered or something. I don't want to see it sunk again.

Perhaps, the Space Battleship Yamato is more what you want to see...:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNT3un2JmJU
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Destraex

:D Loved that show when I was a kid. Star Blazers it was known as in the west back then. Perhaps archamedes will go as far as raising the yamato.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

The modern Space Battleship Yamato series remakes (season one and two so far, with a new intraquel movie between them), have been worthy efforts. I'll be interested in getting Season Three whenever it's produced and released for North America. My main annoyance has been that the remake of season two went back to the original version of the goddess of Telezart who is suuuuuper boring, instead of keeping the original second season's human Teresa of Telezart who has a tragic backstory and reasons not to get involved in the developing war, plus who relates much better with the crew. Her squeaky voice in the American dub of Star Blazers (sounding like one of the male voice actors trying to be female) even grew on me, and watching her stand up to Zordar and RIGHTEOUSLY NUKE HIS ASS to save the crewman she had developed a budding romance with, was SO GREAT!!  :smitten: :smitten: Even though she knew the effort would only slow him down and kill her in the process. So, that got replaced and reset back to Zordar just messing with power he should stay away from and getting slapped down for his hubris.  :buck2: I get what the story was going for (I think), but they could have used the more nuanced and character-driven storyline and just chose not to.  #:-)

Anyway. Star Blazers was the first anime I ever watched (possibly except Speed Racer), back when I was going to grade school; my brother and I would get up and get ready for school early just so that we could watch today's episode of the story while eating breakfast and then be ready to go.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

JasonPratt

The anime film adaptation of Atragon (known as Super Atragon in English, released as a two part OVA), is also very much not-trash, by the way, although it totally lacks Manda. But does have a topless bathing scene for the main heroine, so, eh. (Manda jokes arising in three, two, one...!)

That epic main theme was composed and directed by the same team who did the music for the Giant Robo OVA series.  :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

ArizonaTank

Quote from: steve58 on January 03, 2023, 03:52:37 PM
Apparently now free to view on Youtube (w/ads)

Also on tubi for free with ads.

I found the movie to be mildly interesting. The fact that it is fictionalized didn't help my interest level any. The best parts were the CGI shots of the Yamato.

The movie does use as a plot point, the very real pre-war rivalry between the aircraft guys and the big gun guys.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

W8taminute

Loved Starblazers a lot but does anyone remember the Force 5 from G-Force?

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk