My Rifle, My Pony, and FRIDAY!

Started by al_infierno, September 24, 2021, 01:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

I've been on a big Marty Robbins kick lately, which led me down the tangentially related rabbit hole of western country to the 1959 John Wayne film Rio Bravo.  This scene with Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson is a real standout, and a lockdown favorite.   ^-^

This weekend it'll be some Insurgency, Phasmophobia, Crusader Kings III, and whatever else jumps up in rotation.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

FlickJax

Quote from: al_infierno on September 24, 2021, 01:05:44 AM

I've been on a big Marty Robbins kick lately, which led me down the tangentially related rabbit hole of western country to the 1959 John Wayne film Rio Bravo.  This scene with Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson is a real standout, and a lockdown favorite.   ^-^

This weekend it'll be some Insurgency, Phasmophobia, Crusader Kings III, and whatever else jumps up in rotation.

Marty Robbins now your talking :)  and a John Wayne binge to boot :) Watched The Fighting Kentuckian again yesterday :)  my wife never believes me when I say I haven't watched them before ;)

Computer Gaming... never know what to play these days tbh :(

devoncop

Funnily enough I watched " She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" and " The Shootist"  very recently. The latter was a real elegy to the Old West and Wayne gave a fine performance  as a dying breed (literally) as he himself was suffering with terminal cancer at the time.

Continuing my Encased runthrough as the plot thickens and about to launch into the new Digital League season of Field of Glory 2  and Field of Glory 2 Medieval.....I saw I now have over 1500 hours in FoG2.....crazy stuff 🙂
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Jarhead0331

I dunno. I never understood the whole John Wayne thing. He never appealed to me in any way and his movies always came across as really dull. I know this is sacrilegious to some requiring me to wear a Scarlett letter, but it's the truth.

In any event, Mechwarrior 5 with a new dlc campaign...some nice lineup of starting mechs. RogueTech (I'm on a battle tech kick, apparently), and maybe some dcs. We shall see...

Enjoy.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 24, 2021, 06:55:26 AM
I dunno. I never understood the whole John Wayne thing. He never appealed to me in any way and his movies always came across as really dull. I know this is sacrilegious to some requiring me to wear a Scarlett letter, but it's the truth.

Ah but have you ever seen him in "The Green Berets"?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MengJiao

In any event, Mechwarrior 5 with a new dlc campaign...some nice lineup of starting mechs. RogueTech (I'm on a battle tech kick, apparently), and maybe some dcs. We shall see...

Enjoy.

Stagecoach made him a star and Orson Wells watched that movie over and over as he worked on Citizen Kane.  It was what a good director could form out of John Wayne that made him
an icon.  And once you're an icon well...that's that.

devoncop

I agree to an extent.

John Ford was the genius. Wayne was the iconic figure he chose as his vehicle.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Dammit Carl!

This past week has been fraught with frustration gaming-wise due to something hinky going on with my internet at home.  Ping is all over the place which makes any online games problematic to say the least.  At least the ISP agrees with me and is sending a tech to suss stuff out next Monday.

So, to celebrate the fact that I cannot blow up anyone online in a consistent fashion, I'm hauling out the sub games (Cold Waters, Silent Hunter 3 & 4) and blowing stuff up that way.

Take that, asshole internet...thing.

Stay safe, all.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: W8taminute on September 24, 2021, 07:17:00 AM

Ah but have you ever seen him in "The Green Berets"?

Yes. Absolutely hated it. lol
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

IRL watching the World Cycling Championships on the road in Belgium (something only a few people in the US will be interested in I guess).

If I hear a few more positive comments about Mechwarrior 5, I might get it this weekend (right now I don't even have the base game so I need to get the Jumpship edition).

If not it will be Age Of Wonders Planetfall.

MengJiao

Quote from: devoncop on September 24, 2021, 07:30:17 AM
I agree to an extent.

Yep and its really only in the Ford movies like The Man Who shot Liberty Valance and the Searchers and She wore a Yellow Ribbon that he shines.

Gusington

Hmm and I thought JH was John Wayne. The more you know.

More Outlast 2, Warhammer 2 and Diablo 2: Resurrected this weekend...only the '2s' I suppose...

Devoncop do you recommend Encased?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FlickJax

Quote from: MengJiao on September 24, 2021, 08:07:10 AM
Quote from: devoncop on September 24, 2021, 07:30:17 AM
I agree to an extent.

Yep and its really only in the Ford movies like The Man Who shot Liberty Valance and the Searchers and She wore a Yellow Ribbon that he shines.

Bollocks :)

Dammit Carl!

Pity that John Wayne never got into the trucker movie genre before he passed.  Him spouting whatnot while piloting a manly cabover in and around smokey's roadblocks while sexing the ladies would have been fanfreakingtastic. 

p.s. "California Straight Ahead," doesn't count as it wasn't 70's based.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd