Squadron Strike

Started by Nefaro, December 26, 2015, 02:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Got an email from Ad Astra saying their 2nd Edition of Squadron Strike just went on sale.

http://www.adastragames.com/squadron-strike/

After reading stuff like Through Struggle, The Stars, and other starship combat-heavy novels based on proper physics, this went on my want list.  Especially since it's also a toolkit for creating ships from any universe.

It's got two big humps on the fence.  Big learning curve due to their unique three dimensional system & it's plotting.  It's also pretty pricey at $65 - $75.  I think the time investment required to learn and play these kinds of complex games is the only thing that holds me back.

I'm also curious as to how the paper "box models" look with the included setting(s).  I don't recall seeing that stuff on their web page.

panzerde

I've thought about this game more than once, and for pretty much the same reasons. Doing a bit of poking around the box "models" seem to look like, well, boxes. Not particularly engaging, but certainly cheap.

I remember using cardboard box models years ago to play the games in the Renegade Legion series. Not much to look at when just looking at them but if the rules and gameplay are interesting enough, I kind of forget that the models are ugly.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Silent Disapproval Robot

I don't know.  I think that you're better going with a PC game than a board game when it comes to modelling the 3D aspects that they're going for.  Cool concept but it looks like too much busy work that could be much better handled by a computer.

Pinetree

I've got Attack Vector: Tactical which SS is a descendent of, and it's a fantastic game. I think the main difference between the two is AVT's turn is broken down into segments like Star Fleet Battles while in SS you play the entire turn as one. Learning the 3D movement is not too difficult, it becomes second nature using the play aids. I don't find it fiddly at all, kinetic weapons on the other hand...There's also some great tutorials as well.

The counters are fiddly to build but look ok when made.

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Staggerwing

It looks like there is a demo you can print out, with all needed play aids, for Attack Vector: Tactical:

http://www.adastragames.com/attack-vector-tactical/

The ships, play aids, and documentation are download-able separately or as a single zip.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

I own their distant relative Birds Of Prey, so the "box model" thing is just fine with me.  Especially since they need to sit on the varied bases at many different angles.

Was just curious about the artwork on them.

Already have way too many unplayed games so this remains on the future wishlist.  Haven't been catching up on the big rules-heavy ones lately so it will have to wait.