Field of Glory Empires MP Game New Thread.

Started by devoncop, June 04, 2019, 01:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

We do a lot of caravans, so "Step 4: Profit" just comes naturally.  ^-^
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tripoli

Quote from: devoncop on July 07, 2019, 07:20:25 PM
Hi Tripoli

I have no problem with 24 hour turns but some might. In any case the turn goes ahead as soon as everyone submits their move so hopefully the turns will progress much quicker than once every 48 hours.

Also your speed of turn was presumably in single player.....the beta MP games I believe had a longer turnaround time than 48 hours didn't they ?

I would be more than happy to play in a 24 hour turnaround MP game in addition to this 48 hour one as well as a single player game but some players will not and I want to stick to the advertised maximum 48 hour turns (with the hope and expectation most turns will go much quicker) rather than risk several players pull out.

Hopefully you understand my logic 're this .

If you want to set up a fast MP game as well as this one though.......count me in 👍👍👍

All the best

Ian

Right now, all the MP games I've been running in the Beta have been 24 hour turns.  Here is why I was suggesting the 24 hour turns-If 15 of the 16 players get their turns done in 12 hours, everyone will be waiting for the 16th player to finish his move.  That might be frustrating for some.  Of course, people could simply start multiple games, as you suggest.  Because FoGE has such a low level of time commitment per turn, that is a good option.  The 48 hour time period you suggest is also good, in that if people have weekend commitments, they can still get their turns in without relying on the AI to do their move for them.    However, the 48 hour turn option means that it will take approximately 3 years of play to finish the  game. 

Of course, if everyone gets their turns done before 48 hours, the game advances to the next turn (in otherwords, the 48 hours is the maximum amount of time per turn, not the minimum).  I'm personally good with any choice ya'll make.  I just wanted to give you some insight into how the mechanics of a MP game worked for planning out how to organize it.   I am looking forward to playing it with ya'll :)
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

devoncop

Cheers Tripoli.

Helpful into as always.

I think in practice we will get pretty quick turnaround and as is the nature of things some players will drop out whatever the limit  though I intend to stick it through whatever 😉

I will be sending out PM's to everyone on release day as well as posting on both this forum and the Slitherine one where some of the other players reside and hopefully the game will crack along nicely.

Cheers

Ian

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Grognerd

Hey guys, I'm Grognerd, and I'm new here! I am also "jimwinsor" on the Slitherine forums, and one of the playtesters for Field of Glory: Empires.

AND I am also the Seleucid player in this here upcoming PBEM game. With this new Grogheads account, this should give you all an alternate means of communicating with me diplomatically, should you so desire.

Omnis fortuna!

Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

devoncop

Quote from: Grognerd on July 07, 2019, 10:43:45 PM
Hey guys, I'm Grognerd, and I'm new here! I am also "jimwinsor" on the Slitherine forums, and one of the playtesters for Field of Glory: Empires.

AND I am also the Seleucid player in this here upcoming PBEM game. With this new Grogheads account, this should give you all an alternate means of communicating with me diplomatically, should you so desire.

Omnis fortuna!

Noted Jim...........are you up to something ? :)

Grognerd

Quote from: devoncop on July 07, 2019, 10:45:19 PM

Omnis fortuna!

I am, as a matter of fact ... which you all should see (hopefully) on release day (Thursday)!  ;)
Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

devoncop

Quote from: Grognerd on July 07, 2019, 10:58:15 PM
Quote from: devoncop on July 07, 2019, 10:45:19 PM

Omnis fortuna!

I am, as a matter of fact ... which you all should see (hopefully) on release day (Thursday)!  ;)

:hide:

Be afraid. be very afraid.

By the way, though I will buy and set up the game Thursday I will only launch it when everyone has logged in (hopefully quickly but to be fair to everyone they have until the 18th to do so if they need to practice SP first) so while we could see your nefarious scheme on Thursday you may have to wait a bit longer  :)

JasonPratt

Quote from: TripoliHowever, the 48 hour turn option means that it will take approximately 3 years of play to finish the  game. 

Math isn't my best skill, but wouldn't this only be true if everyone always took the full 48 hours and also went through the whole game without being defeated?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

'Grognerd'...why didn't I think of that.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

"Grognard"?....... nah, too overtly dongly.

"Grongle"?

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 08, 2019, 07:41:15 AM
Quote from: TripoliHowever, the 48 hour turn option means that it will take approximately 3 years of play to finish the  game. 

Math isn't my best skill, but wouldn't this only be true if everyone always took the full 48 hours and also went through the whole game without being defeated?

That is correct.  With the 48 hour setting, it is possible for sixteen players to complete their turns in less than 48 hours, and the game advance to the next turn in less time.  However, my deep level of experience with humans tells me that with sixteen players, that won't happen too often ;)  Somebody's turn will be delayed because they have a business trip to Paducah, or their dog ate their carpet, or they are going to the Lutefisk festival in Buttzville with their in-laws that weekend.....
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Tuna

Any word on the price on this? Wondering whether to grab "Gathering Storm" before the sale ends, or wait for this.

Yskonyn

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback, but I am going to hold off buying it for now.
With my resurgence in DCS and my other ongoing PBEM games I just don't have the time. Good luck to everyone! Will definately keep on reading this thread and the AAR's.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

devoncop

In a development that will hit hard the ambitions of those nations (you know who you are :knuppel2:) who are intending to stick their noses into the inviting riches that comprise the Greek penisular, Epirus has resolved its power struggle and Massina_nz is now playing as Epirus...

So no free lunches guys....

He is available for contact on the Slitherine forum or else in game once we launch !

jomni

Will there be a running AAR on this? I want to read what you guys are up to.