A question to you all

Started by acctingman, October 17, 2023, 01:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

"Cold war? Hell! It was a hot war!" -- MacNamara, Fog of War
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 17, 2023, 08:26:29 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 17, 2023, 08:22:35 PMIf you look at the cumulative deaths from the past 5 decades on that chart do they not exceed the death caused by WW2?

I would expect a 50 year span to eclipse a 5 year war even with limited conflict.

True but that doesn't change the fact that the U.N. has done virtually nothing to limit or stop conflicts. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

SirAndrewD

Quote from: W8taminute on October 17, 2023, 08:22:35 PMI wonder what the data looks like from the previous 5 decades?

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

W8taminute

Military death rates are one thing but what about civilian death rates? 

There needs to be a study on civilian death rates caused by war, crime, dictatorial regimes, etc. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

SirAndrewD

Quote from: W8taminute on October 17, 2023, 08:34:58 PMMilitary death rates are one thing but what about civilian death rates? 

There needs to be a study on civilian death rates caused by war, crime, dictatorial regimes, etc. 

Civilian death rates are tracked in the above. 

Here's actually a great resource that that the graph came from that goes into it way better.

https://ourworldindata.org/war-and-peace
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sir Slash

Organized wars, yes there are fewer. But there's more people alive today on Planet Earth than ever before. And there's more people alive today that's trying to kill each other than ever before. Point to a nation in Africa that's NOT having a Civil War, Regional War, Ethnic Conflict, Tribal Conflict, or just plain old Army Take-over. There can be no denying that the whole Middle East is ready for a massive bloodletting and the Mexican Drug Cartels have spread death and corruption throughout Central and South America. They own Mexico and soon will own much of the USA as well. Violence in America has never been so high since The Civil War. Immigration has brought cultural and religious strife to every country in Europe.

There maybe fewer wars than before, but there's never been a time with less peace than right now.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 17, 2023, 10:12:34 PMThere maybe fewer wars than before, but there's never been a time with less peace than right now.

C'mon man.... Everyone who lived through the '30s and '40s would like a word with you. :buck2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Sir Slash

Those were organized state conflicts NOT the massive Ethnic Cleansing ones we have now. Even in the darkest days of WWI or WWII, nobody was actively trying to destroy entire races other than the Jews. Military conflicts certainly but not the personal genocide like we see so often today. And clearly over more wide-spread parts of the world. Come on indeed.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 17, 2023, 10:27:11 PMThose were organized state conflicts NOT the massive Ethnic Cleansing ones we have now. Even in the darkest days of WWI or WWII, nobody was actively trying to destroy entire races other than the Jews. Military conflicts certainly but not the personal genocide like we see so often today. And clearly over more wide-spread parts of the world. Come on indeed.

This might actually be the single stupidest fucking thing you've ever posted on this board, and that is really saying something.

World War II was statistically speaking the most devastating decade of world history, and also the most widespread ethnic cleansing in history. It wasn't just Jews who were targeted but "Gypsies" (e.g. eastern Europeans as a whole), disabled people, homosexual people, etc.  I would also hardly call the mass retreat on the Eastern Front and subsequent destruction of Germany "organized state conflict" but I digress.

How can any rational person describe the Holocaust as anything other than "personal genocide"?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 17, 2023, 10:27:11 PMEven in the darkest days of WWI or WWII, nobody was actively trying to destroy entire races other than the Jews. Military conflicts certainly but not the personal genocide like we see so often today. And clearly over more wide-spread parts of the world. Come on indeed.

The Cathars, Taino, Dzungar peoples, Aboriginal Tasmanians, Maori, Circassians, Armenians, Assyrians, Pontic Greeks and a lot of others in the period from around 1200 to 1915 would probably beg to differ.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: al_infierno on October 17, 2023, 10:37:10 PMHow can any rational person describe the Holocaust as anything other than "personal genocide"?

and add in what stalin did to his people, what the Japanese did to China or what Mao did to China.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 17, 2023, 10:12:34 PMThey own Mexico and soon will own much of the USA as well. Violence in America has never been so high since The Civil War.

I beg you to stop watching media for a month and take a painting class at the closest civic center/library/ymca/church.  please

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 17, 2023, 10:12:34 PMThere can be no denying that the whole Middle East is ready for a massive bloodletting

literally no middle eastern country wants a regional war right now.  theyve all got their own problems and many are barely keeping a lid on their population revolting against religious extremism.

Sir Slash

You're the one who needs to get caught-up Star Old Buddy. You just made my point for me. Keeping a lid on revolting populations doesn't sound like very routine problems to me. Does it to you? Your friends Stalin. Mao, and the Japanese in China killed millions but that was for POWER, not Genocide. And all planned to rule over those people. Not bury them. No need to beg me, I am always merciful.  :justice: 

al_infierno

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 17, 2023, 11:16:35 PMYour friends Stalin. Mao, and the Japanese in China killed millions but that was for POWER, not Genocide. And all planned to rule over those people.

Yeah, I'm sure the Rape of Nanking was purely related to political gain.

If you were truly merciful you would spare us this utter drivel and stop splitting hairs about the intended purpose behind mass murder.  At the end of the day it doesn't matter if mass murder is done for political gain or ideological.

- MengJiao