Sid Meirs Command series on steam

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 30, 2021, 07:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Although remember playing these on my commodore, not sure I could do again...looks like they have the desert, Vietnam, and Europe available...buy separate or in bundle for about $16

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/23974/Sid_Meiers_Command_Series_Collection/

Gusington

Almost more time has passed between now and when those games were released than when those games were released and the actual war itself...

...I don't think I could play those now either.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

CJReich46

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 30, 2021, 07:41:22 PM
Although remember playing these on my commodore, not sure I could do again...looks like they have the desert, Vietnam, and Europe available...buy separate or in bundle for about $16

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/23974/Sid_Meiers_Command_Series_Collection/

:o  Wow. I remember seeing the ads for them.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

demjansk1942

Maybe 6.99 for all three but not at this moment.  I wonder if they will even work.  However, I loved the games back then.  I installed the other day a commodore emulator winvice I think?  Played a game called Panzer East from Avalon Hill 1984. It worked but quit after 5 minutes,

These games must be free on the old abandoned games page and I'll check later today.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: demjansk1942 on December 01, 2021, 05:05:03 AM

These games must be free on the old abandoned games page and I'll check later today.

If they are being sold under license, someone is maintaining ownership of the IP and any site distributing the games for free would be doing so unlawfully.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

^Was just gonna say, careful there. It's clearly not abandonware.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I will only buy and play these games IF, I can go back and be as young and dumb as I was when they came-out.  :nerd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

ArizonaTank

Yes, the price is high for what you are getting.

There have been a small handful of reboots in the last few years that have crazy high pricing considering all the goodies you can get on GOG and even Steam for less than the price of a cup of coffee.

Rowan's old Flying Corps Gold on Steam for $25

Empire Deluxe: on Steam, on sale for $18

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Skoop

Quote from: CJReich46 on November 30, 2021, 09:06:15 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 30, 2021, 07:41:22 PM

:o  Wow. I remember seeing the ads for them.

Man, these were my first wargames.  Played them on the comodore.  I agree though, don't see myself playing them again.

Phantom

I have - and occasionally play - some older games, but nowhere near that old - surely people will only buy these for sheer nostalgia value (which is in itself a little bizarre) It seems to me to be the gaming equivalent of buying a small black & white TV.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Phantom on December 01, 2021, 02:56:19 PM
It seems to me to be the gaming equivalent of buying a small black & white TV.

OMG! Those are the coolest. I love having to get up to use the rotary knob to change the channel and I get so much enjoyment from tweaking the antennae to get rid of all the snow.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

;D I like wrapping foil around the bunny ears for better reception on one channel...but not the other.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

demjansk1942

Check this out
https://www.myabandonware.com/browse/theme/war-4c/

I don't think it would be a problem, seen those games on sites years ago

Here are the games

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/conflict-in-vietnam-7r

One thing is it's a pain in the butt to play games like this, too much work for old junk

SirAndrewD

Looking at the screenies on these...

Boy, it's true you can't go back again. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

I think you can go home, but do you really want to?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd