Dom 3 slow game (2 day turnaround)[closed]

Started by Yskonyn, March 04, 2013, 01:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

I am fine with EA.

Welcome one and welcome All!
I think for Cradle of Dominions we would ideally need 12+ players, but we are not tied to that map of course.

If I count correctly we now stand at 8 nations. Very comforting already!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

Parone and Phobos make 7 including the original 5 (you, Huw, Airboy, me, and Undercovergeek).

The map shouldn't be much larger than 133 provinces for 7 players, if we all average two free steps from home base. (Or 152 provinces for 8 players if I'm missing someone.)

However, if we all average three free steps from home base (259 hexes for 7 players), Cradle might be a bit small!  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

What do you guys need posted on the Desura Forum?

A link to this multi-player thread??

Just post some text and I'll put it in there.

Corwin123

Hey all,

I saw and responded to this post over on Shrapnel.  I would like to play but I am very new to this game.( first MP for Dominion)

I am good with EA and CBM 1.94

If available I would like to play Neifelheim as I have the most practice vs the AI and them. 

Let me know.

Thanks

Huw the Poo

Nefaro, I've already posted at Desura but thanks for the offer.  That's where Phobos came from!

Corwin, welcome to Grogheads!  Nice to have you aboard. :)

Yskonyn

Hi again Corwin! Glad to see you have found your way to Grogheads.
I think Niefelheim is up for grabs.

We have a nice bunch of people now I'd say. We can wait a few days still to see if others bite, but in the mean time Lets discuss game options.
Early Age is fine with me, as it seems to be preferred by some of you.
Only one player talked about having a water nation. If there is at least one other this is fine, otherwise I would suggest we All go for land based nations.

I'D like to keep graphs off to keep strategic considerations and diplomacy pure.

Otherwise shoot!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 07, 2013, 08:36:58 AMfor the Early Age: either Vanheim, the Triton Kings of Oceania, or Abysia Children of Flame.

Same terms as below: whoever chooses the other two factions first, I'll auto-choose the third. In case no one chooses the other two, I'll choose from the remaining two or three whichever seems to best balance other factions chosen.

Airboy having chosen Abysia if we go Early Age, that leaves me Vanheim or Triton.

(I'll substitute Hinnom if Triton is excluded as a water nation.)

Incidentally, since we're also hosting a much faster (1-day turnaround) game based in Early Age, in which at least half of us are also playing, maybe we should set this one up for MA or LA?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

undercovergeek

im too new to the game to understand the nuances between EA, MA, LA - ill go with the crowd, my heart likes EA but im easy either way

Graphs off

edit: reading the thread again, i suppose we should decide now on the age so people can pick a nation and consider strategy

JasonPratt

There really isn't that much difference between ages, other than the factions available. Supposedly the later Ages have less magic, but that hasn't been my experience: its availability on the map is a function of whatever map we're playing (plus setups by whoever's hosting the game), and just like Early Age there are factions more devoted to putting crossbolts to ass than lightning bolts to ass--but even the relatively mundane factions can research and throw megaspells.

Keep in mind that there are no less than two Late Age factions totally dedicated to UTTERLY DESTROYING THE WORLD WITH MAGIC. That doesn't sound to me like an Age where magic has waned to the point where it makes a significant gameplay difference. ;)

So it's more a question of which set of factions someone has a preference for.

I'll certainly play EA; I wouldn't bow out. But given a vote I vote for not-EA, since I'm already playing an EA game. :)

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 08, 2013, 05:18:25 PM
There really isn't that much difference between ages, other than the factions available. Supposedly the later Ages have less magic, but that hasn't been my experience: its availability on the map is a function of whatever map we're playing (plus setups by whoever's hosting the game), and just like Early Age there are factions more devoted to putting crossbolts to ass than lightning bolts to ass--but even the relatively mundane factions can research and throw megaspells.

Keep in mind that there are no less than two Late Age factions totally dedicated to UTTERLY DESTROYING THE WORLD WITH MAGIC. That doesn't sound to me like an Age where magic has waned to the point where it makes a significant gameplay difference. ;)

So it's more a question of which set of factions someone has a preference for.

I'll certainly play EA; I wouldn't bow out. But given a vote I vote for not-EA, since I'm already playing an EA game. :)

agree with these sentiments, unless theres a public outcry i say MA or LA then - at least were narrowing it down

JasonPratt

On contemplation, what is a significant difference (to some extent) is the relative competence of the mundane troops in later ages. But since they all scale up somewhat, I don't know how much of a significant difference it makes in practice, except to factions like the Late Age Arcos whose mundane troops are lagging behind.

Phobos

I have no preference regarding the age of the game.

Later ages tend to have better arms and armour on soldiers, earlier ages have more prevelant fantasy elements; the giants are bigger, there are more barbarians running around with simple armour and big weapons, plus the wizards tend to be more powerful.

Ulm, for example, goes from indo-european tribal warriors in the Early Age to an almost industrialised production of heavy steel armour and weapons in the Middle Age.

There are exceptions to that trend, but all nations have the ability to use magic for various ends, regardless of the age.   

Yskonyn

I have never played a late Age game, so I would find that interesting.

Huw the Poo