Total war pharaoh - coming October

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 23, 2023, 04:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

And by Pharaoh they mean Medieval III right?

Right??
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

I am quite disappointed.

It's exactly like the memes say...the community begging for a new TW Medieval or Rome or Empire game and CA comes up with Pharaoh. A follow up to one of their least successful games, Troy.

Gonna pass on this one unless there is a DLC or expansion that covers Hellenistic Egypt.

Meh.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Ancient warfare of this period isn't even that interesting. 

And I've studied and read on Kadesh, and Meggido. 

They'll stylize this, add all kinds of weird mythology, they won't do what actual pre classical ancient warfare looked like, which was large formations of conscripted peasants with wicker shields backed by a few nobles in cool stuff.

It's not an interesting era of warfare.  I'm sorry but it's not, not if they do it right.  Not in the Total War system.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sir Slash

My sentiments exactly...Booorring! Not even any decent Cavalry back then was there? They better come-up with something worth playing here or, I' going to, 'Walk-away like an Egyptian'.  :Loser:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

A really great idea that I doubt they can pull off well at all.
I would say this game will be very similar to total war troy.

There are loads of nice factions in this period but the further back you go the less you know of how they fight exactly.
Cavalry for instance would be rare in this period. Chariots and infantry are the mainstay.

I almost guarantee they will screw this one up. I just don't care that much about total war games anymore. They have not innovated in an way that furthers actual wargame mechanics in a very long time. Mechanics are too gamey on the stategic level and they keep going for the easy wins here, in the mean time the tactical level is dumbed down and their is no operational level... which is what they really should add.
Graphics are no draw for me in a total war game since they turned it into flag wars either. The battle of trafalgar in empire total war would be flag wars in total war warhammer for example.

Is this one of those mini total war games like troy?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

No, it's considered a core historical game, not one of their smaller sagas.

I guess I'll be the different one, I'll certainly buy it and enjoy it for what it is, won't be any surprises for me as I know what to expect from these games but still have enough fun to warrant a purchase.

JasonPratt

Until I know different, I dub thee Total War: PHAROAHAMMER!  :RockOn:

At the very least, it'll be a great tool for the modders.

To be fair, many of us, myself included, begged and pleaded for what seems like a few decades, for Three Kingdoms -- and then we got it! And I have not even tried to buy it yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 24, 2023, 07:07:56 AMUntil I know different, I dub thee Total War: PHAROAHAMMER!  :RockOn:

To be fair, many of us, myself included, begged and pleaded for what seems like a few decades, for Three Kingdoms -- and then we got it! And I have not even tried to buy it yet.
Is that because like me you have seen a decline rather than innovation and improvement in the tactical wargame and visual elements of total war games?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

Honestly, no, I just don't play the system as much as I used to, with too many other shiny things attracting my attention (plus waiting for the inevitable bug patching).

I look for the modders to do innovation and improvement in the tactical and visual (and strategic) elements now anyway. As does CA, evidently!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

ArizonaTank

I certainly would not want to see one of those semi-historical games they have been putting out recently. I'd hate to see a laser beam emitting Ark of the Covenant being marched out onto the battlefield.

However, I would be interested in seeing a game similar to Richard Berg's GMT board game: "Genesis - Empires and Kingdoms of the Ancient Middle East"

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/86177/genesis-empires-and-kingdoms-ancient-middle-east
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

That was a pretty fun game we played, until we unlocked all the kit! -- would have run better live, I think. Lots of fiddling for asynch.

Boggit

Quote from: Destraex on May 24, 2023, 07:39:46 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on May 24, 2023, 07:07:56 AMUntil I know different, I dub thee Total War: PHAROAHAMMER!  :RockOn:

Is that because like me you have seen a decline rather than innovation and improvement in the tactical wargame and visual elements of total war games?
I think that is a fair comment. I suspect this will essentially be a reskin of TW: Troy. I hope I am mistaken.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

^I don't think you are. I am at a low point now with new TW games. Thank God for modding of the old ones.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on May 24, 2023, 07:56:46 PM^I don't think you are. I am at a low point now with new TW games. Thank God for modding of the old ones.

CA actually just released a set of CPU patches for their older games that have broken all the old mods.   Many of those mods will never be updated again like Darthmod.