Main Menu

Shadow Empire

Started by Jarhead0331, April 08, 2020, 04:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

From the designer of the Advanced Tactics and Decisive Campaigns series.

Its deep, fellas.

http://grogheads.com/previews/20488
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Geezer

Thanks for the sneak peek.  Looking forward to seeing more when it releases.  I wish he had made another Decisive Campaigns game, but hope this does well for him.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

JasonPratt

LOOK! MORE OF MY MONEY GOES THAT DIRECTION!  :D :D :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Geezer

DasTactic plays Shadow Empire.  Haven't watched this yet myself:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QbPel4c9Kw
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

-budd-

AAAAAAAA..........yea.......I'll be buying this. It's like ATG and Decisive Campaigns had a baby, but in the future.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

W8taminute

Looking good!  Yup, another game I'm going to spend my money on.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

al_infierno

Das's video is great, can't wait for this one!  <:-)
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

GroggyGrognard

Fantastic preview. Thank you for posting.

It's nice to see a unique and fresh approach to the 4X game genre. Easily, one of my most anticipated games to come out this year.

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

jamus34

Been watching this one for a while now.

Day 1 buy from me.
Insert witty comment here.

Emir Agic

This is day one buy for me also. But I would like Vic used more up to date 3D models, rendering or simply just more artistic 2D presentation for some things. Now it looks like environment screens and people faces are crawled back from 1998. They should be immersion amplifiers not immersion breakers.

Phantom

I'm a big fan of VR's games (I think I've got & played all of them) - indeed the current isolation has me playing DC Barbarossa - hugely engaging game, which IMO hits that sweet spot balancing deep gameplay & playability. I've also played Gary Grigsby's games, but am put off by the complexity & desire to manage and show every detail, the spreadsheet like nature of them, and again IMO, the inevitable impact on the user interface - it in turn becoming complex & unwieldy.
This is something DC Barbarossa (and previous titles) avoids - a remarkable achievement for such a complex game, and illustrated by clever use of cards for assets like artillery & air power, and clever incorporation of people/leaders - surely an absolute fundamental for any accurate portrayal of conflict.

The reason I say all this is I sincerely hope that Shadow Empire doesn't sacrifice this. Often less is more, and I'd hate this game to just become another Paradox/Grigsby style of accounts management game, driven by an unnecessary desire to do a more "complex" game. Space 4X is fine, but I hope this is something different.  (though I still wish VR had done a North Africa game :bd:)

jamus34

Shadow empire release date dropped. June 4th
Insert witty comment here.

JasonPratt

Only on Matrix at the moment, but presumably on Steam and/or GoG eventually?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jamus34 on May 07, 2020, 10:35:23 AM
Shadow empire release date dropped. June 4th

Nice. That's my wife's birthday. I can get it for me for her birthday!  <:-)
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

I remember Bro and I saving up to buy Dad a cartridge of "Asteroids" for our Atari2600 system, shortly after the game released, for his birthday.

In hindsight I feel kind of sorry about that, but we really did think he would want to play it, too.