Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Big Russian military build-up on Ukrainian border. Ukrainian president says the Ukrainians uncovered a Russian backed coup plot against the Ukrainian government.

Sounds like the old 20th century Soviet playbook. Coup first, followed by the "new" Russian-friendly government inviting the Russians in to help "restore order."

May be a long winter in the Ukraine.

https://news.yahoo.com/putin-deadly-serious-neutralizing-ukraine-203843482.html
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

I read in the Economist a few days ago that this build-up looks more 'real' than prior 'feints' as units are moving into position at night.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I think it's all a big Head-Fake by Putin to get the West to make a deal to back-off support for Ukraine. If it works, the next build-up maybe for real for sure.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

ArizonaTank

Starting to heat up...

1) Russian / Beloruss joint exercises
2) Russian Navy positioning itself in the Crimea
3) US putting 8,500 troops on alert.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/01/24/ukraine-eu-us-embassy-russia/

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

bobarossa

Dammit Carl!

Awesome.  Glad I'm retired - did my war years and certainly have no desire to do any more.

Curious to see if any of these naval exercises stress break any Russian craft, or have they managed to refit/upgrade their stuff.  Seems like a question for Google.

Gusington

I've been obsessively reading as much coverage of this as I can from as many sources as I can. Very hard to make a call on which way this will go.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Right there too. But I'm thinking the Russian soldiers can't be very motivated for an actual conflict and so may perform badly. The Ukrainians would have every reason to fight like lions to resist being under Putin's thumb.  Also the weather may determine if there's war or not. If it stays good, I can see Putin riding shirtless on a horse into Kiev.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

it makes the wargamer in my giddy.  however in the real world this could get very messy very quickly.
if the russians do invade the payoff is that NATO countries will go back to Cold War levels of defense spending rapidly.
Leopard 3a2 anybody?
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Pete Dero

That is all fake news !  The Russians are only responding to a Nato build up at their border.
If you live in Russia that is the news they are feeding you right now.  Life is so much easier when you control all the media and you eliminated all opposition all you opponents have freaky accidents.

There are a lot of very beautiful women in that area but when I see a half naked Putin posing on a horse I don't get the feeling he is into that.

Gusington

Germany is being oddly ornery about the whole thing, not wanting to ship weapons, not sending units east...must be the gas line controversy that is muting their response.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

It also could be the Germans are looking over their shoulder at a strengthening Polish military and hoping for a friend to the east. How'd that work-out last time they thought that way?

ArizonaTank

For the wargamers out there...

Interesting video on the structure of Ukraine's ground forces. No idea how accurate it is...but at least it sounds authoritative... ;)

Plenty of Org charts with NATO symbols and discussion of equipment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U26SNwTH8p0
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Sir Slash

Great video. Thanks for the post.  :clap:

Gusington

Thanks ArizonaTank - that is exactly what I have been looking for. I immediately subscribed to that YouTube channel as well.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd