James Webb Space Telescope

Started by steve58, December 17, 2021, 08:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

A closeup of Proxima Centauri, the latest from the JWST.

"Picture of Proxima Centauri, the nearest star to the Sun, located 4.2 light years away from us," Étienne Klein, director of France's Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission, told his nearly 100,000 Twitter followers. "It was taken by the James Webb Space Telescope. This level of detail... A new world is unveiled everyday."

...or is it??   :-"

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

SirAndrewD

Quote from: steve58 on August 05, 2022, 03:58:28 PM
A closeup of Proxima Centauri, the latest from the JWST.

"Picture of Proxima Centauri, the nearest star to the Sun, located 4.2 light years away from us," Étienne Klein, director of France's Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission, told his nearly 100,000 Twitter followers. "It was taken by the James Webb Space Telescope. This level of detail... A new world is unveiled everyday."

...or is it??   :-"

That photo is delicious.  Just another example of the smorgasbord that Webb can provide.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

bobarossa

These photos make me hungry for more....

Mexican food!

jamus34

I thought this was hilarious.

And I weep / fear for the future of humanity who can't think for themselves or know how to take a joke.
Insert witty comment here.

Sigwolf

steve58

Take a moment to stare into thousands of never-before-seen young stars in the Tarantula Nebula. The James Webb Space Telescope reveals details of the structure and composition of the nebula, as well as dozens of background galaxies.

Stellar nursery 30 Doradus gets its nickname of the Tarantula Nebula from its long, dusty filaments. Located in the Large Magellanic Cloud galaxy, it's the largest and brightest star-forming region near our own galaxy, plus home to the hottest, most massive stars known.

The center of this image, taken by Webb's Near-Infrared Camera instrument (NIRCam), has been hollowed out by the radiation from young, massive stars (seen in sparkling pale blue). Only the densest surrounding areas of the nebula resist erosion, forming the pillars that appear to point back towards the cluster of stars in the center. The pillars are home to still-forming stars, which will eventually leave their dusty cocoons and help shape the nebula.

Why is this nebula interesting to astronomers? Unlike in our Milky Way, the Tarantula Nebula is producing new stars at a furious rate. Though close to us, it is similar to the gigantic star-forming regions from when the universe was only a few billion years old, and star formation was at its peak — a period known as "cosmic noon." Since the Tarantula is close to us, it is easy to study in detail to help us learn more about the universe's past.

Read more: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/a-cosmic-tarantula-caught-by-nasa-s-webb

Image Credit: NASA, ESA, CSA, STScI, Webb ERO Production Team
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

steve58

steve58

D@mn, just d@mn.  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I hope I'm still around when the next space telescope is out there.

https://www.foxweather.com/earth-space/jwst-pillars-of-creation-high-definition

Hubble vs James Webb

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bobarossa

The Hubble Pillars of Creation Pic was frequently the background pic on my work computer. 

steve58

Happy 1st Birthday JWST  :twirl:

Rho Ophiuchi cloud complex, the nearest stellar nursery to Earth, whose proximity at 390 light-years allows for a crisp close-up

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-12290981/NASA-celebrates-Webbs-year-close-stellar-birth.html

JasonPratt

:Dreamer:  :Dreamer:  :Dreamer:  :Dreamer:

I love astrophysics SO MUCH, and yet have never been able to devote time to seriously get into it. Doubtless I lack the math capability, too, to be fair.

So glad other people are vastly better than I am at so many things!  :notworthy:  :notworthy:  :Hug:  :ThumbsUp:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

even the universe is like what the fuck!

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury