Main Menu

Ola!

Started by greengiant, July 11, 2022, 09:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greengiant

Hi all,

Oldish guy from South Africa. I've been searching a while for a place to share stories/strategies/discussions about war gaming so I'm very happy to have found grogheads.com!

My history in war gaming is rather brief.

Panzer General (and many years later the spiritual remake/successor, Panzer Corps though I've not made the jump to the 3D second game yet) and Steel Panthers were my go-to in the 90's, followed a few years later by CamoWorkshops winSPMBT and winSPWW2 which I've been running PBEM games on for over a decade now via theblitz.club.  The last four or five years I've actually been very quiet on the war gaming front. That is until Slitherine's buy-out of Matrixgames and by extension all (or most of them) their titles coming to Steam (and thus far more affordable). I immediately picked up Field of Glory 2 as I just love purely tactical ancient warfare games. After more browsing and time went buy I began growing an interest in trying out something on a larger scale, such as operational level games. With that in mind I picked up Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa, Advanced Tactics Gold and The Operational Art of War IV (which I've had my eye on for years since #2 and #3).

I ended up going with DC Barbarossa for my first serious foray into operational level games and I am in the early days of the campaign, playing as Germany. I absolutely love the twist the dev added to the game with the political relations with your various generals/officers and how that can impact things.

Anyways, looking forward to getting to know all your folks better, cheers!

Jarhead0331

Welcome aboard. Looks look like you'll fit in well.

Any interest in gaming the Border War? The last issue of Strategy & Tactics had a nice article on Cuito Cuanavale and the related campaigns. Fascinating era in military history as it fits into the Cold War.

In any event, look forward to seeing your posts.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Welcome greengiant!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

greengiant

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 11, 2022, 09:23:26 AM
Welcome aboard. Looks look like you'll fit in well.

Any interest in gaming the Border War? The last issue of Strategy & Tactics had a nice article on Cuito Cuanavale and the related campaigns. Fascinating era in military history as it fits into the Cold War.

In any event, look forward to seeing your posts.

Hi Jarhead, thank you for the welcome!

Oh definitely, lots of interest in local wars; the Angolan Border War is one I've run through winSPMBT many times. It's actually what inspired me to purchase the retail version of SPMBT so that I could have more control over map editing in order to try recreate some of the skirmishes. So yeah, you have found yourself an opponent for SPMBT  :)

Quote from: Gusington on July 11, 2022, 09:30:31 AM
Welcome greengiant!

Thank you Gusinton!

Sir Slash

Welcome Greengiant-- Love your vegetables. Just kidding. Welcome to the One & Only Grogheads. Glad to have you with us.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

greengiant

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 11, 2022, 09:39:09 AM
Welcome Greengiant-- Love your vegetables. Just kidding. Welcome to the One & Only Grogheads. Glad to have you with us.  O0

Thank you Sir Slash  :)

EDIT: And after that little poke I just couldn't resist with the avatar :P :)

Gusington

I am happy to see your avatar now correctly reflects your potential greatness.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Welcome and glad to have you here!  It's nice that at least one out of 100 new posters are actual human wargamers  ;D

Have you tried Unity of Command II?  It's quite similar to Panzer Corps except with much more emphasis on a (somewhat arcane) supply system.  Seems like it'd be right up your alley!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

greengiant

Quote from: al_infierno on July 11, 2022, 02:45:50 PM
Welcome and glad to have you here!  It's nice that at least one out of 100 new posters are actual human wargamers  ;D

Have you tried Unity of Command II?  It's quite similar to Panzer Corps except with much more emphasis on a (somewhat arcane) supply system.  Seems like it'd be right up your alley!

Have not tried it yet but I do have the first one, very much enjoyed it.

fran

Welcome from fellow Saffa

greengiant

W8taminute

I know I'm late to this party but just wanted to say welcome aboard. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk