Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

republic

I know there are a few DCS regulars here, do any of you use the Mig-29S regularly?  I'm having a heck of a time with the radar.  I often find targets much faster and farther out with IRST than the radar which must mean I'm using the radar wrong...right?

JudgeDredd

I have them and I love them - but not enough to keep going back to them apparently.

I'm an absolute nightmare with games - I really am!

Sorry - I have no help for you. Maybe a fan (which I very much am) who actually plays them (which I am very much NOT) might be along!
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: republic on October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM
I know there are a few DCS regulars here, do any of you use the Mig-29S regularly?  I'm having a heck of a time with the radar.  I often find targets much faster and farther out with IRST than the radar which must mean I'm using the radar wrong...right?

I always had issues picking up targets on radar, too.  I don't know how large the vertical bar scan size is, normally, but it seemed notably smaller than other aircraft like the Su-27 and F-15.  Once I start slewing the radar, I tend to start making it even worse as often as better.

What's more, it also seems to be more difficult in Flaming Cliffs 3.  I don't know if they made changes to the radars, but I get less hits than I recall achieving in LOMAC.  I get the impression that the scan 'cone' is smaller than it was before, but that's just an impression - it could just be that they lowered radar effectiveness at longer ranges.  At least you can still do okay with IRST but that doesn't help you fire your radar-guided missiles.

As a side note.. love the MiG-29 despite it's short legs and limited loadout capacity (for a 4th Gen).  Probably my highest pick for most beautiful fighter of all time, too.   :D  The blended fuselage & wing of it and the -27 look wonderful.  For the same reason, I also wish they would add the F-16 to the series.  I'm done dicking with the Falcon 4 derivatives that keep trying to extend the life of an ancient and buggy F4.0.

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 28, 2013, 08:12:44 AM
I have them and I love them - but not enough to keep going back to them apparently.

It would be easier to play the DCS sims somewhat steadily if they had a dynamic campaign system.  They're halfway there since it has a random mission generator.  Hell.. I'd be willing to pay a bit for such a dynamic campaign.. even one as simple and straightforward as those in the Third Wire sims. 

Another reason I'll probably just play more Rise Of Flight when I get a real sim urge since it has a 'beta' dynamic campaign, and a mod that also does something similar.

Edit:  Dammit.. I forgot to transfer all my TrackIR and joystick/keyboard bindings over from my old PC.  >:(  Damn annoying having to change the keybindings for every aircraft model in FC3.

republic

Quote from: Nefaro on October 28, 2013, 09:00:38 AM
Edit:  Dammit.. I forgot to transfer all my TrackIR and joystick/keyboard bindings over from my old PC.  >:(  Damn annoying having to change the keybindings for every aircraft model in FC3.

You are so correct!  And I also hate that you can't adjust settings in game.  Though that is supposedly being fixed in a future update.  I also would like the ability to save in-flight during long missions.

republic

I tried again in the Mig-29S last night.  I know it is supposed to be a "Spitfire" type fighter (short distance scrapper) and I know the Su's are supposed to be "P-51's" (long distance interceptors)...but It seems the Sukhoi's can out maneuver, outshoot, and outrun the Mig-29 in nearly every instance.

I might try and get someone to agree to a guns only 1v1 between me in a Mig-29 and them in a F-15/Sukhoi.  There's got to be a specialty for it...surely.,

Nefaro

Quote from: republic on October 29, 2013, 08:49:07 AM
I tried again in the Mig-29S last night.  I know it is supposed to be a "Spitfire" type fighter (short distance scrapper) and I know the Su's are supposed to be "P-51's" (long distance interceptors)...but It seems the Sukhoi's can out maneuver, outshoot, and outrun the Mig-29 in nearly every instance.

I might try and get someone to agree to a guns only 1v1 between me in a Mig-29 and them in a F-15/Sukhoi.  There's got to be a specialty for it...surely.,

Yeah, it's generally outclassed in the DCS realm.  Especially at long range.

It's one big advantage is close up last I checked.  Unless they drastically changed it's flight model, it could pull Gs like nobody's business.  Since the F-15 has a computer-run G limiter it's possible for you to squeeze in an extra-quick burst in heading rate change (at the expense of airframe overstress warnings and blackout) for that little extra bit.  I managed to pull some pretty crazy bursts of Gs in sustained turns at times back in the LOMAC dies with it; not sure how much the FM changes have affected this from all the engine updates, however.

I'm not sure, but I think you can do that with the Su-27 too - I don' think it has a G-limiter either.  It just didn't seem to be quite as good at it as the MiG, being a good deal larger and longer than the '29 and therefore probably has a higher natural wing loading. 

agathosdaimon

there is a random mission generator in the DCS games - was that always there?

I bought Black Shark 2 and Combined Arms and DCS World and do not recall seeing this. I have LOMAC on an xp vmware- perhaps i should check that. I wish that game ran in win7. Actually if i get the flaming cliffs addons will LOMAC then work in win7?

Though truthfully i am yet to find the DCS games enjoyable at least as much as you tube videos seem to suggest. just too much too learn and too much time demanded for just needlessly crashing because of one wrong turn.

Rekim

If I remember correctly the random misson generator for Blackshark was added with the upgrade to version 2. The version 2 upgrade coincided with the A-10 release, so was probably always there for warhog drivers.

Anyone else buy into the DCS WWII kickstarter? I pledged at the $75 level which will give me the following:

Access to the game's closed beta, a digital copy of all flyable aircraft in the game, plus a spiral-bound copy of a complete aircraft manual for the plane of your choice, and a hard copy of the game's air combat strategy and tactics manual

I selected the Spitfire aircraft manual

Staggerwing

I pledged at the $40 level- all flyable a/c (inc. the Me262 stretch goal I believe.)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: agathosdaimon on October 29, 2013, 10:51:48 PM
there is a random mission generator in the DCS games - was that always there?

No.  As Rekim says.. it came in around the A-10C and Black Shark 2 release.   It's part of the base DCS package now.

QuoteI bought Black Shark 2 and Combined Arms and DCS World and do not recall seeing this. I have LOMAC on an xp vmware- perhaps i should check that. I wish that game ran in win7. Actually if i get the flaming cliffs addons will LOMAC then work in win7?

LOMAC loads into Win7 okay, but it may be kinda screwy.  I'd expect some odd graphic anomalies in it, similar to some of the wonky textures I experienced in IL-2 on a newer gaming rig a couple years ago.

The good news is that you can buy Flaming Cliffs 3, which requires a LOMAC install, and is basically the same thing with much-improved graphics, flight model, TrackIR support, DCS World (to include the random mission generator), etc.  FC3 was kinda pricey on release, but it is a big leap from the now rather ancient LOMAC.  You also don't have to learn the cockpit buttons, so it's not quite a "study sim" in the vein of A-10C and BS1/2, although it's still more involved compared to something like the Third Wire sims.

QuoteThough truthfully i am yet to find the DCS games enjoyable at least as much as you tube videos seem to suggest. just too much too learn and too much time demanded for just needlessly crashing because of one wrong turn.

While I like cockpit button-pushing as much as anyone else, I've been leaning more towards flying FC3 just because it's easier for me to push buttons on my keyboard than looking about in the virtual cockpit for them.  It also helps having some things that I don't care all that much about being simplified too (I'm pointing at you radio frequencies, TACAN channels, etc!).  It's fun firing up the study sims for a learning experience but when it comes down to actually playing the game, I prefer to focus more on the stick and tactics of it, rather than the minutae, when I just wanna have fun

Unfortunately even the random mission generator isn't all that immersive, and I chalk much of that up to the map location.  It may make sense for the Russian devs to set their sims in the northeastern Black Sea area, but it doesn't make much sense for anyone else.  Flying your F-15 or A-10 around Georgia (the country not the state, bumpkins) is about as immersively jarring as it can get when flying NATO-side.  I suppose it works as well as any, in practice, but the real world likelihood of that happening is approximately nil if not a negative value.

Yskonyn

Quote from: republic on October 29, 2013, 08:49:07 AM

Eventhough the general concept of the development of the SU-27 was about making a long range interceptor, the project became much more during its phases.
The Russians wanted to create a better aircraft than the US F15 abd that drove research and development to great heights.

The Flanker (compared to the Mig) has a better powerplant, a better aërodynamic wing and slat-like features on the leading edge of the Wing which operate automatically.
This gives the Flanker exceptional lower speed maneuvering capabilities.

I am not so sure wether the Mig should outclass the bigger Flanker in a turning fight. There is little info to be found on this subject unfortunately.

But the better aerodynamic characteristics of the Flanker, coupled with a fly by wire system might very well make it a more dangerous aircraft in Knife fights than the more traditional Mig.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Rekim on October 30, 2013, 08:29:10 PM
If I remember correctly the random misson generator for Blackshark was added with the upgrade to version 2. The version 2 upgrade coincided with the A-10 release, so was probably always there for warhog drivers.

Anyone else buy into the DCS WWII kickstarter? I pledged at the $75 level which will give me the following:

Access to the game's closed beta, a digital copy of all flyable aircraft in the game, plus a spiral-bound copy of a complete aircraft manual for the plane of your choice, and a hard copy of the game's air combat strategy and tactics manual

Hell will freeze over before I pledge to this....and you can take that to the bank undercovergeek!  ;D
Alba gu' brath

Rekim

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 31, 2013, 03:15:25 AM
Quote from: Rekim on October 30, 2013, 08:29:10 PM

Hell will freeze over before I pledge to this....and you can take that to the bank undercovergeek!  ;D

Is this a result of the great CLoD debacle JD? I almost got burned myself. In fact, I timed the building of my current PC to coincide with the CLoD release. I grew suspicious when the release date was continually pushed back...and exceptionally poor feedback following its released kept me from ever buying in.

Some key members of the CLoD experiment are heading up the DCS WWII project. I figure it is still a safe bet as DCS WWII is more of a refinement of an existing (and very mature) system.

JudgeDredd

Partly - I'm a Scot - it's our god given right to hold a grudge! ;D

But apart from that, I never EVER got into DCS because it was or there was a chance of it going WWII. I've had enough of WWII sims over the years - I want modern day kit. The amount of weapons you can carry on modern day strike fighters is amazing. I don't want to go back to 300 bullets and a 500lb iron bomb  :(

I'm really, really not interested in WWII in DCS and I don't want to buy it to send them the signal it's ok...so I won't buy. On top of that, the company responsible for it totally ballsed up Battle of Britain II which was only changed in title when they realised in order to sell the shite they'd have to rename it because it had bugger all to do with the Battle of Britain.

It STILL makes me mad to think I saw them making 3D models of WWII army stuff and I was still looking at it through glossy glasses thinking they might still get round to making a Battle of Britain game!

I was an arse. I saw the signs and I still picked that bollox up...but not again. They won't get a single penny from me ever again.  >:(

Sorry - but I have a really bad hangover this morning and some things really still taste bad...and CLoD is one of them!
Alba gu' brath