Coldageddon 2024

Started by JasonPratt, January 08, 2024, 09:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

So, West TN here where I live, has started bracing and prepping for -1 degrees next Monday night.

By which I mean Fahrenheit, not Celsius.

Before wind chill.

(Also 4 to 8 projected inches of snow, but that's kind of beside the point.)

P'cola, incidentally, has estimates for 2 degrees below freezing, for a couple of evenings next week. (I have a cousin who lives there with her family, sometimes. Her mom and sister(s) should consider going south for a few days...!)

If it's 33 below freezing in West TN of all places, I shudder to imagine what it will be like anywhere north of me.

...shudder, I say!

Hm, I thought we had a smiley for this.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tripoli

Here in Wisconsin, we are expecting 5-10" of snow.  Not too bad.  First real snow of the season.  However, it will be a relatively balmy 33 degrees F.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JudgeDredd

I remember in Scotland in the 1995 having around -20. No wind though - so it was actually really nice.

Car radiator froze though so we couldn't drive home when we were meant to.
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

Got a foot of snow a couple of days ago but it is going to get warm and rain here in semi upstate NY today, then next week the temps will drop and we will be getting more snow.

In December we finished rebuilding our driveway with French drains, stone and other defenses from floods as our property got its ass kicked by the severe flooding of the last year.

Doing our best to stop it from happening ever again.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Looked at the forecast this morning to see what had changed, and wow totally different! No snow forecast at all, and the temps would only get down to 24F!

....then I realized I was looking at Pensacola (which I had put in last night to give some information to an aunt whose youngest daughter lives there.)

Switching back over here..... oh, yes it has changed indeed.

Now forecasting -4F on Monday. Before wind chill, which I've heard is aiming for -15F.

Still 4-8 inches snow forecast, although new snow has popped up on Saturday which may or may not be around as a base by Sunday night's snow to fall on.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Windigo

Make sure your vehicle radiator fluid can handle that cold... a cracked engine block from your coolant freezing is very expensive
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

SirAndrewD

Going to be in the teens in Alabama this time next week.

Fortunately my girlfriend's going to be in town that week.  I imagine I'll be able to keep warm.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

bobarossa

In central Ohio it's showing low of 3 monday night and 14 on Tuesday.  Only 30% chance of snow.  Strange it's colder south of us.

Gusington

^I was thinking that same thing.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Con

Quote from: SirAndrewD on January 09, 2024, 03:41:18 PMGoing to be in the teens in Alabama this time next week.

Fortunately my girlfriend's going to be in town that week.  I imagine I'll be able to keep warm.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Updated projections increased to 1F as Monday low, now spreading the superlow back to Sunday as 8F, Tuesday expectations still holding around 6F.

This is interesting, because most of the snow was expected to fall Sunday night, and water vapor releases LUDICROUS amounts of heat energy into the atmosphere when transitioning through liquid into solid form. So I wasn't too surprised that temps were projected for Sunday in the low 20s instead of freaking single digits (or lower)!

However, then I checked snow projections -- and those have dropped by around half, for whatever reason, so the projected release of heat energy has also dropped by around half.

That might mean there will be fewer high clouds Monday, which will let more sunlight through to the surface to convert to heat energy; although by the same token a little less insulation value. Thus the projected low goes up a little but not a lot? (Albedo effect at ground level will be a little less with a few more thin pockets to not-bounce-light-as-much, allowing more a little more conversion to heat energy, especially on roadways. Plus less coverage on things like walls, roofs, trees/shrubs.)

JasonPratt

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 09, 2024, 10:55:42 PMlaughs in Floridian  :cool:

I notice y'all had your quota of tornados this week already down in central.  :grin: (I have lots of Dad relatives there, plus one set of Mom relatives, so we were checking on them tonight.)

Whereas the panhandle is heading for the 20s next week. I'd rather be where we're ready to fight freezing better!

(....well, relatively better, this is still West TN after all.)

Gusington

^The Wife is in Tampa this week and they had 3-4 tornado warnings yesterday alone :/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

And, on cue: the exhaust motor in my furnace just went out today.....Looks like it'll be a $500 repair.  The good news is it won't get down to below 20 degrees for a couple of days, so I've got time.

[Addendum: Correction: $597.00 repair.  But at least I have heat now  :laugh:]
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln