Main Menu

Beware

Started by Gusington, November 13, 2013, 11:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Just got a password change email from Steam...looks like someone is trying to hack my account. Unless this is occuring Steamwide. So be on guard.

Anyone have a Steam email address that I can contact about this? Everything I have from them is 'no reply.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Yikes!  Thanks for the heads-up Gus, and good luck. 

In answer to your question, it appears you may need to first create a "Steam Support account" before you can contact them via email/chat. 

https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Thanks Martok...let me know if you see any weirdness in your account too since ours are linked through friends lists, etc. Since there is a Grogheads Steam community everyone should check, IMHO.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

I had that thought as well, and is why I'm especially grateful for the warning. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Staggerwing

Was the notification that someone tried to change your pw or that they actually did? How did you reset it if it was changed?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

Did you log on to your account using your password?  I'd do that and then change your password and enable some of the additional security measures.   Frankly I'd be worried that it was a phishing email too.   Unless your account is locked out changing your password should eliminate any risk to a compromised account.  Also it could be someone used your account name and tried a bunch of passwords prompting the message. 

Staggerwing

I just set my profile ' can see' option to 'friends only' Still wondering about whether Gus' email said that the pw was actually changed by the bad guys or not.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

eyebiter

Staggerwing

Pretty certain I have Steamguard already. Maybe that was the email Gus got?

Silent Disapproval Robot

I got the same email 2-3 weeks ago.  I already had steam guard enabled.  I figured someone was trying to brute force my account do I changed my pw to something ridiculously long and random.

W8taminute

I logged in a few moments ago and noticed nothing out of the ordinary with my account.  I've also got SteamGuard active. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

I'll have a chance to check it tonight. Looks like someone tried to brute their way in to my account...fingers crossed they did not succeed. Just checked my bank account and there is nothing weird there as of right now. It's for exactly this reason that I never have Steam remember my payment info anyway.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

That's a good move Gus.  I never store my payment info either in Steam, XBOXLive, Gamersgate, etc. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

Yeah I try to do that everywhere I visit online. Sometimes that may not be enough either...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Shelldrake

Thanks for the warning - checked my account, Steamguard on, all seems ok.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell