Indonesia is missing a submarine

Started by steve58, April 23, 2021, 02:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

...and they are running low on O2

Indonesia's navy has stepped up efforts to locate a missing submarine, enlisting the U.S.' and Australia's help as the 53 crew members aboard the vessel survive on less than a day's worth of oxygen.

The KRI Nanggala 402 went missing after its last reported dive Wednesday while participating in training off the coast of Bali. Navy officials worry the vessel has dived too deep to reach or recover in time.

"We will maximize the effort today, until the time limit tomorrow at 3 a.m.," military spokesperson Maj. Gen. Achmad Riad told reporters.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/missing-indonesia-submarine-oxygen
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

JasonPratt

Sadness. A grievous way to die.

Also, today I learned that Indonesia had five subs.

I'm going to express some doubt that they could possibly know that none of the crew were at fault; but I understand the sympathy.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Terrible, sad to see it end that way.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Damn, that's too bad. I was holding out for a miracle.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jejo68

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 25, 2021, 09:49:35 AM
Sadness. A grievous way to die.

Also, today I learned that Indonesia had five subs.

I'm going to express some doubt that they could possibly know that none of the crew were at fault; but I understand the sympathy.

Well the sub was from 1940, so probably a good bet the crew wasnt at fault

Pete Dero

Quote from: jejo68 on April 26, 2021, 06:30:17 AM
Well the sub was from 1940, so probably a good bet the crew wasnt at fault

44 year old and build in Germany (not build in 40 or 44)

Dammit Carl!

steve58

Sunk by powerful underwater wave??
Indonesian officials working to determine how a military submarine with 53 crew members sunk earlier this month during a training exercise said the vessel may have been hit by an internal solitary wave in the treacherous waters off Bali.

Australia's ABC.net.au reported that such waves are invisible but have the strength to drag a submarine down to dangerous depths. The report said that there have been several theories, but evidence seems to point to a wave that would not be evident on the surface of the water.

The report said Indonesian naval officials consulted satellite images from the region and determined that these kind of massive waves were in the area at the time of the sinking.

Rear Adm. Iwan Isnurwanto, the commander of the Indonesian Navy Command and Staff School, told the station that the wave may have "moved up from the bottom to the north, and there's a trench between two mountains."

https://www.foxnews.com/world/doomed-indonesian-sub-may-have-been-hit-by-powerful-underwater-wave-report

JasonPratt

I had originally been going to mention as an aside, that somewhere in this area of the Pacific there was a notorious ocean level buoy (meant to watch for tsunamis among other things) which for years shot up and and down huge amounts at rare intervals, for no clearly explainable reason, and which a year or two ago was just flatly taken offline -- and who knows, maybe there was some connection, wouldn't that be weird?

Then I thought, eh, I'm not really sure this is close enough to the same area to count, and it might be disrespectful to associate this disaster with the odd theories about this rogue buoy. So I didn't bother.

Annnnnnd here we are at underwater superwaves after all. Huh.  :nerd:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, try not to tear up...

...just try.  :'(