New battlemap-creation software on the way

Started by heruca, March 08, 2017, 04:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heruca

Hi folks. I am creating cross-platform map-making software (for Windows and macOS), suitable for creating both print-resolution maps and lower-resolution maps suitable for use with virtual tabletop software. It's called MapForge, and it will be sort of a spiritual successor to Dundjinni, but with a greater focus on stitching maps together from pre-existing map tiles and then customizing the resulting map (with additional decorations, etc.) to suit the GM's particular needs.

MapForge should appeal to GMs of face-to-face game sessions and to those using any VTT software, who want to create their own slick-looking battlemaps to visually enrich their RPG sessions (in any genre), but who find existing mapping programs (including image-editing tools such as Gimp and Photoshop) too intimidating/confusing/expensive.

The software will be priced to be very accessible/affordable, probably $30 or so, but to help offset that cost, there will be at least 9 free content Add-Ons for it, covering various genres. MapForge will also offer a free level of use, so having a license won't be required to make maps with it.

Version 1.0 of MapForge should be ready to go on sale in July 2017. Shortly after that, MapForge will also have the ability to generate random "dungeon" layouts via Donjon.

I hope you will all take a minute to check out the project, play around with the downloadable prototype, and if you like what you see, tell your GM friends about it.

Thanks!

--Hernan (aka Heruca)

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

heruca

Thanks! The Kickstarter for it has taken off and far exceeded my expectations. It funded the first day, is now at 400% funding and still has 2 weeks to go. Only 1 Stretch Goal left to unlock.

Barthheart

Looks pretty cool!  O0

Will it have hex grid support?

MetalDog

You people and your damn hexes.  Next, you'll ask if the counters are going to be clipped or unclipped.  It's D&D, man!

As for the program itself, that looks outstanding!  What value would there be for a DM like me who has a regular group, but no laptop? 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bbmike

True, but with a hex grid we could create new battle maps for our board games.  ^-^
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

heruca

Quote from: MetalDog on March 08, 2017, 07:26:44 PM
What value would there be for a DM like me who has a regular group, but no laptop?
It can generate print resolution maps, which you could take to a large-format print service and have it printed out.

Alternatively, there will be a way to cut apart the large image into properly-sized sections that you can print out on a home printer (with support for various paper sizes), then tape back together into a whole map. But home printing can get expensive, and the quality won't be quite the same.

I'm going to see if I can line up some sort of discount with a printing service for users of my software. In which case you would email or upload the map you want printed, and it would be mailed back to you in printed form.

heruca

Quote from: bbmike on March 08, 2017, 07:29:57 PM
True, but with a hex grid we could create new battle maps for our board games.  ^-^

That is indeed a secondary use I've imagined for the app. Over on BGG, Myth players have gotten excited at the possibilities of creating new custom game tiles. I can also imagine tabletop miniature wargamers printing out huge full-color realistic battlefields, and perhaps even using 3D terrain (trees and such) atop the map.

heruca

Quote from: Barthheart on March 08, 2017, 07:21:31 PM
You bet! Perhaps not in v1.0, but soon after.

The overlay part is easy, it's the snap-to-hex functionality that could take longer, especially since some people will want flat-side-up and others pointy-side-up (I believe long grain and short grain are the proper terms).

MetalDog

Quote from: heruca on March 08, 2017, 07:51:45 PM
What value would there be for a DM like me who has a regular group, but no laptop?
It can generate print resolution maps, which you could take to a large-format print service and have it printed out.

Alternatively, there will be a way to cut apart the large image into properly-sized sections that you can print out on a home printer (with support for various paper sizes), then tape back together into a whole map. But home printing can get expensive, and the quality won't be quite the same.

I'm going to see if I can line up some sort of discount with a printing service for users of my software. In which case you would email or upload the map you want printed, and it would be mailed back to you in printed form.

Excellent to know!  And thanks for the quick answer :)

Barthheart

Quote from: heruca on March 08, 2017, 07:58:55 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on March 08, 2017, 07:21:31 PM
You bet! Perhaps not in v1.0, but soon after.

The overlay part is easy, it's the snap-to-hex functionality that could take longer, especially since some people will want flat-side-up and others pointy-side-up (I believe long grain and short grain are the proper terms).

Cool!  O0
"Flat-side-up or pointy-side-up" is what I use too. Vertical or horizontal is also used. And it seems a small thing to those that don't use hex grids but it is important to be able to do both formats.

Barthheart

You people and your damn hexes.  Next, you'll ask if the counters are going to be clipped or unclipped.  It's D&D, man!

Shut yer gob you cellar dwelling RPG freak! This program looks perfect for making new proper wargaming maps. Also will be nice for making minis wargaming terrain maps.

MetalDog

Quote from: Barthheart on March 09, 2017, 11:50:21 AM

Shut yer gob you cellar dwelling RPG freak! This program looks perfect for making new proper wargaming maps. Also will be nice for making minis wargaming terrain maps.

I've been a nerdy, RPG playing, reprobate for many years.  And until recently, geeks ain't never been chic.  But you could wait a MILLION years, and wargames won't ever be mainstream.  So, how would you like your new RPG maps, pointy side up?  Or flat?

heruca

Egads! It seems I forgot to ever post a follow-up in this thread.

To quickly recap: MapForge was released in March 2018, and has since been updated regularly (v1.0.9 is due out later this week). The initial 50 content Add-Ons were created and delivered, and between those and some additional self-published Add-Ons and many more Add-Ons developed by a subsequent Kickstarter campaign, MapForge now boasts an impressive library of over 70 content Add-Ons (which you can browse here), including strong support for the sci-fi genre (Modern Day support is still a little lacking, but I'll get to it eventually). No, the idea is not that you have to spend a fortune to get them all; the idea is that you selectively pick and choose your favorite and most useful content from what's on offer, since everyone has different needs and tastes.

The hexgrid overlay and snap-to-hex features that some folks here were asking about have now been implemented (though hex orientation is currently still limited to "pointy-side-up").

My latest Kickstarter is offering something new. It's the first time content is being offered to enable the creation of area/regional maps (thus far the content has all been strictly for tactical battlemap scale).

Click on the image below to check out this new KS campaign, which ends in 3 weeks.

PS: Sorry for the thread necromancy, but this still seems the most appropriate place to post.

bbmike

Nice, thanks for posting! I missed MapForge when it released so I'm jumping in on this Kickstarter.  O0
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak