Battletech is back!!!

Started by Shelldrake, May 12, 2017, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

I just popped AC20's on everything.  Ran with two AC20 loaded dragons, a Jagermech with two AC20's and a Cataphract with an AC20 supported by Medium Laser spam.  Not much that lives when you combine that much dakka with Jagermechs. 

Just got some Star League stuff though, time to try out Gauss.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

sandman2575

@SidAndrew and Kushan -- it sounds like you guys are going down the "Jump jets and mobility are overrated, build tanks" route. I guess that's the only way I can imagine you get those loadouts, by sacrificing JJs, possibly heatsinks too.

I've really been struggling with 'tank' builds myself. Dragon in particular is hard for me to make effective. At 60 tons, it's not really big enough to wield an AC20 *and* have good armor *and* sufficient ammo *and* decent mobility. (The 5-rounds per mag. with AC20 ammo kills me. It's just so little.)

I've tried running the Dragon with an AC20++ (plus a couple of Flamers; no other weapons fit if I get 4 ammo mags. in there, which seems the absolute minimum if the thing wants to fight any sustained battle). But the thing has no JJs, and does not have great armor at all -- somewhere 800-900. It takes a serious beating every fight, since enemies always focus fire on it. And it has to get in close to be effective. But by getting in close, it still lacks good Evasion (2-3 chevrons at most), and you can only use Vigilance so often. So it doesn't take much for enemy mechs to focus fire, get good hits, and wear down my Drag's armor *very* quickly.

I'm struggling too, but less so, with my Thunderbolt, which is a heavier Mech and better overall. Ditching the PPC is a good idea -- thing is too heavy and hot. And this one has great armor (close to 1200). But no JJs, no mobility. Similarly, it always takes a beating.

I guess I just can't see how tanks exceed or even match good mobility in this game. 4-5 JJs seem preferable to good armor to me. What am I missing?

EDIT: Also, SirAndrew, how the hell did you fit *2* AC20s on a Jagermech?? Is the thing made of paper?

Cyrano

This game needs more robust MP to let the min- max jibber-jabber begin in earnest!
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

SirAndrewD

Quote from: sandman2575 on May 08, 2018, 12:25:05 PM
@SidAndrew and Kushan -- it sounds like you guys are going down the "Jump jets and mobility are overrated, build tanks" route. I guess that's the only way I can imagine you get those loadouts, by sacrificing JJs, possibly heatsinks too.

I've really been struggling with 'tank' builds myself. Dragon in particular is hard for me to make effective. At 60 tons, it's not really big enough to wield an AC20 *and* have good armor *and* sufficient ammo *and* decent mobility. (The 5-rounds per mag. with AC20 ammo kills me. It's just so little.)

I've tried running the Dragon with an AC20++ (plus a couple of Flamers; no other weapons fit if I get 4 ammo mags. in there, which seems the absolute minimum if the thing wants to fight any sustained battle). But the thing has no JJs, and does not have great armor at all -- somewhere 800-900. It takes a serious beating every fight, since enemies always focus fire on it. And it has to get in close to be effective. But by getting in close, it still lacks good Evasion (2-3 chevrons at most), and you can only use Vigilance so often. So it doesn't take much for enemy mechs to focus fire, get good hits, and wear down my Drag's armor *very* quickly.

I'm struggling too, but less so, with my Thunderbolt, which is a heavier Mech and better overall. Ditching the PPC is a good idea -- thing is too heavy and hot. And this one has great armor (close to 1200). But no JJs, no mobility. Similarly, it always takes a beating.

I guess I just can't see how tanks exceed or even match good mobility in this game. 4-5 JJs seem preferable to good armor to me. What am I missing?

EDIT: Also, SirAndrew, how the hell did you fit *2* AC20s on a Jagermech?? Is the thing made of paper?

I really like mobility, but there gets to be a point where evasion is not as good as sheer firepower and armor.  Evasion doesn't mean you won't get hit, just that you've got a chance not to.  Hunchbacks, Jagermechs and almost any Assault Mech can one shot a 50 ton range mech with Jump Jets on a lucky shot.   Also once LRM15's and 20's start to show up Evasion just doesn't seem to help as much as a stronger chassis.   

I do like exploiting firing arcs.  But with the current balance, AC's are much better than Energy, and their brute strength can overcome finesse, even with better salvage opportunity. 

An AC20, extra crit kneecapper with a strong knockdown means you'll be spamming Precision Strike to leg mechs and get 2 salvage.  Precision for the knockdown.  Called shot the other leg.  Morale bonus pops up another Precision Strike.  Repeat.

The BoomJager is something I've toyed with in a lot of other Battletech games.  It's not very under armored compared to stock.  Two AC20's, three tons of ammo, One Heat Sink,  70, 120, 90 on the front.  Arms are weak at 35.   

Key with it is to make sure it's not the first Mech up, I usually use that for my Assault Mechs, or Cataphract, so I keep it in reserve.  Pick your timing with it and precision shot to the leg with my best sharpshooter.  That'll typically take the leg off any Mech not a 85 ton or over.   It will one shot most Mechs under 75 tons with a chest target.   It's not the best design, but it works in those eight on 4 scenarios where you absolutely need a to kill two Mechs on your turn to stay above water.

For the AC20 Dragon build, you don't need three tons of ammo.  If you have more than two mechs in your lance with AC20's, there won't be enough living enemies to ever be there to take 10 shots until Assaults start showing up.  One AC20, two tons of Ammo, 2 Medium Lasers.  Pump the rest into Armor and Heat Sinks.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

DennisS

First game not viable, on to game two. This completely normal for me..first one is the learning game, to get the lay of the land.

I have four mechs better than the spyder and locust, and I will start the Argo recovery mission next. I have over 1/2m c-bills, and feel I am in a pretty good position.

The several missions I have completed have been relatively easy, except for one building defense mission that had 6 mechs and two vehicles. I was out of position to intercept the second wave. Note to self: Going out to intercept attackers on a defense mission isn't real smart.

I have determined that having one fewer weapon in favor of more heat sinks/front facing armor is reasonable. It's all about the c-bills, and not taking internals.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Story missions are starting to get ridiculous.

SPOILER WARNING

I'm stuck on the mission where you're supposed to rescue Alex from the APC.

First off, I don't think it's possible to even get to the prisoner convoy before it gets to the base so right off the bat, you're up against 5 vehicles, 3 turrets and a mech.  I was able to take them down without too much damage but I did burn through a lot of ammo.

Then you have to fight off a wave of reinforcements.  3-4 mechs and 3-4 tanks that arrive as a scripted event and get to activate before you can react.  Took them out but suffered a few ammo blowthroughs and burned through the last of my LRM and flamer ammo.

Then you have to get to a rendezvous point.  I figured it would end once I got into the zone but nope, you then have to keep all 4 mechs in the zone and just basically get the snot pounded out of you by 8 enemy mechs for 5 turns until relief shows up.   Bloody ridiculous.

sandman2575

Quote from: DennisS on May 09, 2018, 12:47:49 PM
First game not viable, on to game two. This completely normal for me..first one is the learning game, to get the lay of the land.

Same here. First campaign attempt ended in disaster. Second has worked out well so far. Though I'm also convinced the difficulty got toned down with the patch. Surprised I haven't seen chatter to that effect on the Pdox forums.

Like SirAndrew says, get the Argo at all costs. Changes the campaign completely for you, for the better.

SirAndrewD

Woohoo!  Finally looted a Heavy Mech not called a Jagermech.  An Orion no less.  No more Glass Cannons.

I've really been boned by the RNG in this game.  Until today, outside story missions, I've barely seen anything outside an endless cavalcade of Dragons and Jagermechs for my heavy pickings.  I've got parts of Stalker and Awesome that I killed on a 3 1/2 mission for Davion, but I've never even seen a Black Knight (outside of story) or Grasshopper. 

I feel you get to a bit of a catch 22 when you go far in the missions.  You need to take higher difficulty missions to get the heavier mechs, but you need heavier mechs to take the higher missions. 

Until this last mission I'd been in a rut.  Heck, I even saw and got 2/3's of a Catapult!

Labbug

In my last contract, my four mechs were pink in color and semi-transparent.  They looked like pink ghosts.  The enemy mechs and vehicles all looked normal.  Has anyone else seen this?

DennisS

Quote from: sandman2575 on May 09, 2018, 06:03:17 PM
Quote from: DennisS on May 09, 2018, 12:47:49 PM

Same here. First campaign attempt ended in disaster. Second has worked out well so far. Though I'm also convinced the difficulty got toned down with the patch. Surprised I haven't seen chatter to that effect on the Pdox forums.

Like SirAndrew says, get the Argo at all costs. Changes the campaign completely for you, for the better.

I THINK I am ready for the Argo. The money alone will keep me going for several months.

A concern of mine is when to upgrade the Argo. Monies are scarce, and I don't know where and how much to spend right away. COHH says the part of the ship that gives tech points need to be priority one. Thoughts?

SirAndrewD

Yes to Tech points. 

First things you'll want to press are tech points, medical points and morale.

Engines are also great, they make your travel time faster.

sandman2575

Quote from: Labbug on May 09, 2018, 07:53:58 PM
In my last contract, my four mechs were pink in color and semi-transparent.  They looked like pink ghosts.  The enemy mechs and vehicles all looked normal.  Has anyone else seen this?

Yeah, I've gotten this bug a few times. Save/quit and reload the save solves it for me.

sandman2575

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 09, 2018, 06:21:04 PM
I feel you get to a bit of a catch 22 when you go far in the missions.  You need to take higher difficulty missions to get the heavier mechs, but you need heavier mechs to take the higher missions. 

I know what you mean. I also *hate* when you get a challenging (3/3.5 skulls for me) "Take the Bait" mission, with high payout, but you go for the 70,000 cash and 3 salvage because, hey, there might be something good you can catch!  Except that the 'heavy' bandit turns out to be a single freakin' 80 ton vehicle... 'protected' by a Locust, Panther, and Trebuchet.  >:(

I really want an Orion or any 70-ton heavy that can take the AC20 and actually wield it to good effect with decent armor. I just can't make the Dragon or Jagermech work for me tactics-wise. I have a pair of Thunderbolts, which are great, but they have no AC slots.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: sandman2575 on May 09, 2018, 11:47:43 PM

I know what you mean. I also *hate* when you get a challenging (3/3.5 skulls for me) "Take the Bait" mission, with high payout, but you go for the 70,000 cash and 3 salvage because, hey, there might be something good you can catch!  Except that the 'heavy' bandit turns out to be a single freakin' 80 ton vehicle... 'protected' by a Locust, Panther, and Trebuchet.  >:(

I really want an Orion or any 70-ton heavy that can take the AC20 and actually wield it to good effect with decent armor. I just can't make the Dragon or Jagermech work for me tactics-wise. I have a pair of Thunderbolts, which are great, but they have no AC slots.

Yeah, I really hate that as well.  The last couple of nights I kept hitting 3/3.5 and getting eight mediums and a whole bunch of vehicles. 

Luck finally broke tonight though.  In just three missions I salvaged two Orions and a PPC Catapult.  The Orions are already making for great uparmored brawlers with AC20's with Medium laser spam.   They can make a fair multi-range jack of all trades too. 

acctingman

So.......I'm at a point where I think I have to wait for the difficulty sliders/adjustments patch  :-\

Game is fun and awesome, but just way too difficult for me. Mainly due to my lack of tactical experience/knowledge, but I don't regret one second buying this game.