We Need a 2014-2015 Basketball Thread

Started by airboy, November 18, 2014, 04:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

Never seen that before.  I'm guessing that they gave the girl another free throw attempt due to the equipment failure of the basket?

MetalDog

The Arkansas kid took three steps before passing.  Super dramatic finish though.  Rims in as the clock goes 0.0.  Come tournament time, I hope the committee remembers this if 'Bama needs it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

the officials have ground the NC St - Miami game to a halt with all their replay reviews.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 22, 2015, 09:54:25 PM
the officials have ground the NC St - Miami game to a halt with all their replay reviews.

Hate that. Disrupts the game as much as all of the TV timeouts.

airboy

Dook blew the game against Notre Dame.

And then there is a news report that was also favorable to the Coach and the Program:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12221183/duke-blue-devils-c-marshall-plumlee-join-army-graduation

Hate Dook - but this was a fine thing for the program to do.

airboy

Yesterday at halftime of the Auburn - Ole Miss game the US Army Drill Squad provided the halftime entertainment.  They were very interesting to watch.

Unfortunately, Ole Miss shot the lights out and AU lost.  It was a good game though - Auburn did not beat themselves.

MetalDog

^ Bruce Pearl needs a couple of years of 'his' guys in the program and then watch out for Auburn!  One year will do if he can latch on to a couple of prize recruits.  In T-Town, Anthony Grant needs to s*it or get off the pot.  If they can make a run in the conference tournament, 'Bama has a chance at the dance.  If not, it'll look like they waited one year too late to get rid of him and make a run for Pearl.

MetalDog

Who can put up 23 points and 9 boards in an NBA game?  Charles Barkley, THAT'S who!  Apparently, Chuck was so pumped about a trade he was involved in finally going through that he imbibed a bit more than was good for him at lunch.  Still, 23 & 9?  That's pretty good :)

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/charles_barkley_says_he_once_played_drunk_after_lakers_trade_fell_apart/18283499

OJsDad

Is this the same Bruce Pearl that got fired from Tennessee. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

Yup.  Good coach.  Maybe not so good at following the rules.

airboy

Auburn did an amazing job at the SEC tournament winning 3 games.  They pretty much beat anyone they were capable of beating.  Kentucky was just not possible for AU's squad.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on March 16, 2015, 09:22:21 AMKentucky was just not possible for AU's squad.

I'm not sure beating Kentucky is possible for the 76ers

MetalDog

A couple of years ago, it was surmised by a few over the top drink the Kool Aid types, that Alabama might have a shot at beating the Jacksonville Jaguars.  Now that we've seen what Trent Richardson can do in the NFL, I hope that talk is relegated to where it belongs...the Paul Finebaum Show. 

I bring that up because Brant said, half in jest I imagine, that Kentucky might be able to beat the 76ers.  Do you think that's possible?  Is the order of athlete in the NBA THAT much better than college?  Or, do you think there is a chance they could do it?

bayonetbrant

For the most part, yes, the order of athlete is that much better.  Not only that, but most NBA players are full-grown men, while many college stars are 19-year-old twerps who had a growth spurt in high school and are still getting used to their wingspans.

But Kentucky this year is an aberration, since they go 7-deep with NBA lottery picks.  Let's put it this way: if the entire Kentucky roster declares for the NBA this year (they won't) then their top 7 or 8 players would ALL go in the first round, and most of them would be gone by the time you got to #20.  The 76ers this year have been historically bad, and are a packed with a handful of non-talent journeymen, and guys who should still be in college.  They actually just traded away last year's Rookie of the Year.  2 years ago, he was the starting point guard at... Kentucky.