Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Followed the thread about it.  I saw how much you really liked it.  Are you going to jump in and MP now?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MetalDog on January 29, 2016, 11:11:47 PM
Followed the thread about it.  I saw how much you really liked it.  Are you going to jump in and MP now?

Only if someone around here has it and wants to play. I plan on jumping into the Homeworld Remastered campaigns now.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2016, 10:36:09 PM
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak. First game I've finished in years. Absolutely fantastic campaign experience.
excellent! congrats

Rayfer

Finishing anything in this day of super-sales and quickly jumping from one game to the next to the next without finishing any of them is a fete worthy of congratulations! 

Sir Slash

Congrats JH on the win. How long has CMBN been out? I think I've actually finished- one- campaign.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2016, 10:36:09 PM
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak. First game I've finished in years. Absolutely fantastic campaign experience.
Lalalalalalanotlistening! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

I actually enjoyed the Deserts of Kharak campaign more than I am enjoying the original Homeworld games. Not sure if its the pacing, the beautiful desert terrain, a preference for land combat, etc. or what, but I definitely find myself wanting to go back planetside and skip a replay of the original games.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

On a rather different note -- it isn't a game, but considering the time involved I feel like saying HA!

Yesterday I at long last finished watching all the Doctor Who serials up through the death of the Third Doctor. (Um, spoilers for a series older than most of us by a few decades.) By the time I started watching relatively-adult shows, the Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) had been running a year or two, so with our local PBS station repeating his material occasionally I was able to watch all his serials.

As with many of us, the 4th was my Doctor; so much so that I didn't care for 5 when he arrived (although he has many fans and, so I've heard, many good eps), and I didn't care much for the occasional 3 story that got repeated. What never occurred to me until recently, was that I somehow knew the Daleks and Cybermen and the Master were his biggest enemies, but Four's superlong run is astonishingly light on stories that feature any of them! These were all major foes for One, Two, and Three respectively. (And Three's writers hated the Cybers, so he didn't get any such stories, only a quick cameo by a Cyber head.) I think the Sontarans get exactly one short two-ep story. No Silurians; no Ice Warriors; no Great Intelligence and his Snowmen; really none of the classic monsters. I'm not sure any of the new monsters introduced for Four ever got repeats during the classic period either. (Though some like the Zygones have returned in NuWho stories.)

Anyway, a few years ago I decided I ought to supplement my memory and appreciation of Four's stories by collecting and watching all the previous ones, especially since they have most of the classic enemies oddly missing during Four's run.

This took a while. But between having no life (and no wife, but I repeat myself), and the Loose Cannon reconstructions of still-missing eps and stories, I finally finished all the way out through "Planet of the Spiders", in the year I turned four.

Do I feel proud of this achievement? Does it make me happy? .... um.... I honestly don't know. But it's a thing, and I have done it, and at worst I have ideas on how to trim the often decompressed and slowish stories into 'modern' edits (with heavier proportional emphasis on the Doctor and the guest monsters) for my nieces someday.

Now, to finish the final 1/3 of the episodes for Legend of the Galactic Heroes!  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Anguille

Finished my first campaign with the Kra'hen in Imperium Galactica II....ended up with a major defeat..... :'(

Martok

Quote from: Anguille on February 05, 2016, 09:22:21 AM
Finished my first campaign with the Kra'hen in Imperium Galactica II....ended up with a major defeat..... :'(
I believe this may be the first time I've said both "congratulations" and "condolences" in the same sentence.  ??? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Ian C

I finished Life is Strange.
Firstly, this is not my usual choice of game and I bought it in the STEAM sale and because of reading rave reviews. Down to the nitty-gritty – it's a realistic third-person teen girl adventure. Part mystery, part fantasy with some dark choices and problems to solve. It has strong themes, violence and language. I found it completely immersive and, I dare to say, something of a gaming masterpiece. The Butterfly Effect and consequences of altering time lines is a key foundation of the background of this game.
It's also currently in the lunar sale and there's a demo. It won't be everyone's thing but I found this to be one of the better examples of being pleasantly surprised by going outside my normal preferred games of choice.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/319630/

Rayfer

Quote from: Ian C on February 06, 2016, 09:20:10 AM
I finished Life is Strange.
Firstly, this is not my usual choice of game and I bought it in the STEAM sale and because of reading rave reviews. Down to the nitty-gritty – it's a realistic third-person teen girl adventure. Part mystery, part fantasy with some dark choices and problems to solve. It has strong themes, violence and language. I found it completely immersive and, I dare to say, something of a gaming masterpiece. The Butterfly Effect and consequences of altering time lines is a key foundation of the background of this game.
It's also currently in the lunar sale and there's a demo. It won't be everyone's thing but I found this to be one of the better examples of being pleasantly surprised by going outside my normal preferred games of choice.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/319630/

I was tempted back during the holiday sales.....you got me thinking about it again.  Thanks.

BanzaiCat

I own Life is Strange, too. I played through the first chapter, I think, before I uninstalled it. Not because I don't like it...it stayed on my HD for a while but I just never got back to it. I would like to eventually, though I still have Tales from the Borderland and Game of Thrones to play through, in that vein, too...

Anguille

Quote from: Martok on February 06, 2016, 02:14:41 AM
Quote from: Anguille on February 05, 2016, 09:22:21 AM
I believe this may be the first time I've said both "congratulations" and "condolences" in the same sentence.  ???
Lol...thanks...it's been an interesting experience!

-budd-

Took a break from 7 days to Die and Panzer Battles Normandy and decided to find an adventure game to play. I picked up The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Great little title with great visuals and wonderfully appropriate soundtrack. Its kind of a Supernatural/ Murder mystery that doesn't go where you think its leading and has novel kind of investigative little system. It's a game that doesn't hold your hand and states that at the start of the game, I finished in about 4:45 minutes. It's on sale now and you get the original and the redux which was redone in the unreal 4 engine, again great visuals, i'll post a few screens in the screenshot thread. Sometimes its nice to play something short that has a beginning , a middle and an end.I highly recommend the game. A few informational tidbits, i had to remap my controls every time i started but with the game being so short and the fact that there is not that many keys in use don't make this a huge deal.. Also the game only saves after events in the game, again not a big deal. It's worth the price of admission.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.