Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anguille

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 31, 2016, 12:54:01 PM
Finally! I finished Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition today. For the first time, ever.

I don't deserve kudos for finishing a 20-year-old game, so all I can say is, it's about time.

I have BG2 on GOG, but it's not an enhanced edition. I tried importing my character and it crashed (as several have complained about). Not about to drop $20 on BGII:EE, so I'll just wait for a sale.

I would say it doesn't matter how long it takes...congrats!

Sir Slash

Great job BC. I remember BG as one of the games I really loved to the very end. Have you ever tried Planescape Torment? Same engine, different story and world but another real winner and the game's usually for sale cheap. What was your character by the way for BG?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MetalDog

Nicely done, B_C!  I share the opinion that it doesn't matter how long it takes.  Finishing is its own reward.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

jamus34

PS:Torment is one of the best AD&D games ever made. It was also one of the first RPGs that I can remember that de emphasised combat. Cause when your immortal... Duh.

I keep telling myself I'll go back and beat it some day.
Insert witty comment here.

Rayfer

Quote from: Anguille on July 31, 2016, 01:24:10 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 31, 2016, 12:54:01 PM
Finally! I finished Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition today. For the first time, ever.

I don't deserve kudos for finishing a 20-year-old game, so all I can say is, it's about time.

I have BG2 on GOG, but it's not an enhanced edition. I tried importing my character and it crashed (as several have complained about). Not about to drop $20 on BGII:EE, so I'll just wait for a sale.

I would say it doesn't matter how long it takes...congrats!

Agreed! Well done! I finished the original way back when it came out. I have BG2:EE but haven't played it yet. It goes on sale frequently on GOG and Steam.

BanzaiCat

Thanks, all. I guess it is something of an accomplishment especially considering how many times I've played the Gold Box games over and over.

I feel like I rushed the ending a little much. Once the game hit the city of Baldur's Gate, it slowed down a lot for me. I don't like wandering around waiting for someone to get in my face to say "Hey, did you know? Here's the next plot point." Or something to that effect. I'd go through a district once, twice, three times before someone would pop out of nowhere and approach the party, usually with something that branched away from the main storyline. I felt like there was quite a bit I missed, but I found the city boring overall. At least until the Flaming Fist were after us.  ;D

Until BGII EE comes out on sale on Steam I do have Icewind Dale I and II I can crank up...hmm.

jomni

If you haven't seen the screenshots thread, I finished Nobunaga's Ambition as Takeda.

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

That had to have been a marathon, jomni. Nice work!

jomni

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 02, 2016, 06:57:47 PM
That had to have been a marathon, jomni. Nice work!

Well I stopped the campaign when I was working on Sengoku Jidai. But I did had a marathon for the past two weekends.

JasonPratt

^^ Any interesting overlaps?  O0 (Y'know, beyond the overlaps naturally expected from the topics being much the same.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Pillars of Eternity-- Done. Finished it up last night and even though the ending was a trifle disappointing and the story never really soared, I thoroughly enjoyed playing this game start to finish.

BTW Once you enter the Pit on the Burial Isle, you cannot go back and must finish the game. And the final confrontation against the Big Baddie comes complete with a long dialog interaction scene, then a very tough fight, followed by a Decision Scene with more choices, the chance to say 'Goobye' to each companion, and finally a series of storyboard scenes that tell you what effect your decision has on everybody in the whole world it seems. So, expect about a 30-40 min. Final Act. Though you can save after the Big Baddie is dead.

Here's the last Storyboard Scene of my Great Estate-- Slash Cathedral.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Rayfer

Well done SS...I made it to the last boss fight and couldn't beat him.

Sir Slash

Thanks Rayfer. It was a tough fight alright. But he was kind of a pussy once his help went-down. Here's what he looks like.... DEADDDD!!  We stopped for a selfie, posing over his still-twitching corpse. The only way to shut this guy up. He talks for-ever.

JasonPratt

Their Hearts grew Bold!  :)) O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!