Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

After much dilly-dallying, I got far enough in Ghostbusters: the Video Game (AKA the semi-official GB3), to encounter increasingly gamekilling bugs that required me to restart from earlier saves to get past if I'm lucky (because this is a console port).

At that point I handed off to someone else to finish, namely someone whose name I don't know who made a 3 hour YT movie of the game. That... was underwhelming. Kind of glad I putted in. FINISHED THE GAME SORT OF! -- and promptly deleted. Great atmosphere, spotty writing, acting ranged from genius to just here for the paycheck (by all the principles). It's a mediocre linear shooter with tons of GB fanservice.

Also this weekend, finally finished the main Company of Heroes (1) campaign for the first time. Grueling. But fun. But grueling. But epic. But grueling. But not as grueling as fighting the real Normandy invasion up through the Falaise pocket. But grueling. Promptly started the parallel British campaign, but will probably take a bit of a break to recover.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Are you playing the Ghostbusters game on Steam?

I reinstalled it myself with the intent to play through, though I haven't played that far. The furthest I ever got was to the Sta-Puff Marshmellow Man, whom promptly kicked my butt. I haven't gotten nearly that far in my latest attempt. I didn't know there were game-killing bugs in it - it's been a while so I would have thought it would all be good by now.

JasonPratt

Sometimes plot triggers don't trigger. I ran into two or three late game; just wasn't worth my time eventually.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

-budd-

Been hitting the wargaming pretty hard, hit a wall with a little gaming funk this week. Went to my library and decided to play some of the shorter games i picked up along the way. Lets see finished the first hexcells, got hexcells plus and infinite waiting in the wings. Finished Knock-Knock, this game was part pisser, went in cold, the game explains nothing which is fine but some things you need to know. well was getting near the end thought i was doing alright and suddenly "game over" i mean thats it "game over" . So i went to the internet to find out WTH, apparently there are 3 endings, good, bad and WTF...i guess i got the WTF ending. So i restart with a little more wisdom, find more , do more, make it what appears to be farther down the trail....again i get the WTF ending...i mean WTF :tickedoff: ..so technically i finished this one twice. The game has good sound[headphones recommended] and a pleasing art style, it does get a bit repetitive along the way and i actually had more fun the second time through knowing a little more about the game, well except for the WTF ending.Last up was "The Room" a point and click puzzler, not to hard, not to soft. Never dawned on me that they call it the room because well the whole game is one room. Ran into a bug at the end that held me up but there was a beta patch that fixed that " the maze bug". No idea whats next, got 3 wargame campaigns going in 3 different games but not feeling the wargame love at the moment. There's a lot more casual short games in my library, might knock off more of those.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Rayfer

Congrats budd. Even though I've never heard of any of those games it's always a good feeling to finish a game, something I haven't done in a long time. 

Con

Been meaning to finish this game for a while.  I had a game of Command Ops 2 A-historical battle for Malta.

I ran it with better supply and faster reinforcements for the Germans and had got to about day 2 before real life forced me to stop.  Picked it up again about 8 months later (mostly due to the Command Ops discussion started here).  Decided to knuckle down and finish the battle.  Took about another 2-3 nights playing a couple of hours but here is the proof.

Edited since the text is not showing
Decisive Victory (100 points due to full surrender of the enemy AI which is not an easy task to achieve).  Kesslring recommending my immediate promotion.

I got the Allied AI to surrender on day 7 on an 8 day scenario,  In fact could have got him to surrender early on day 6 just missed the surrender message.  Probably would have gotten the same result without the Axis benefits but would have been closer to day 8.

For any of those hesitating on this game I can only say run dont walk and buy it on Steam.  Amazing game with a wide range of different scenarios from the battle of Greece/Med to Arnhem the Bulge etc.  Next gen will be the Eastern Front which will really open this game up.  Yes the learning curve is steep yes it doesnt pander to those who dont plan properly but if you want to get the closest thing to what it must have felt commanding an army in WWII this is it.

Con

MetalDog

That's impressive, Con!  I just don't have the patience for those types any more. 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Just got a diplomatic victory for the Shoshone in a big Civ V game - maybe my last 'til Civ 6 drops.

Other civs were England (on my continent), Rome (encroached on my continent; primary antagonist), Mongolia (closest ally, oddly), Arabia, Babylon, Aztecs, Celts, and Persia
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

Quote from: MetalDog on August 29, 2016, 10:21:43 PM
That's impressive, Con!  I just don't have the patience for those types any more.

Sob, the one I game I should love but my soul won't allow me

airboy

Finished Order of Battle: US Marines.  Also finished the AAR. 

Boggit

Me and Panzerde lost to Cyrano in our Sicily game. He must have been down to a couple of companies left, but that bloody road to Messina was grindingly slow with a trillion choke points. All credit to Cyrano, he played it very well, and Panzerde - playing Patton got a couple of hexes closer to Messina with his Stuarts than I did as Monty.

Anyway, we've started an East Prussia '14 game - playing the Gumbinnen to Tannenburg scenario. Cyrano and I are playing a Russian army each, while Panzerde leads the 'Beastly Hun' - hopefully to disaster - but I doubt he'll easily get beat.

Apart from that, I've finished 5/7 Field of Glory digital matches losing 1 to a Klay Eckles off the lobby who beat my Early Ottomans soundly with his Pontics, but otherwise winning quite creditably with the other matches.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Sir Slash

American Civil War 2. June 1863: The final victory of Union Army over the diehard Confederate defenders of Richmond.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Sir Slash

Resulting in a Major Victory for the North.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MetalDog

That is truly an accomplishment, Slash!  AGEOD games take a while and have a great number of fiddly bits.  I am impressed by your perseverance and strategic/tactical acumen.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

Why thank you MD. Honestly I enjoyed this, the full campaign, so much I was sorry to see it end. The AI was a little bizarre at times but hard to predict and was winning battles against me even on the very last turn. I had captured Nashville and 2 Confederate Ironclads along with it and I really wanted to see how they would stand-up to the Confederate guns along the Mississippi but the game ended too soon. Now.... for the Switch-Sides rematch.