Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on May 10, 2017, 03:09:48 PM
I just finished up a PBEM co-op game with a lifetime friend of mine (well, since 3rd grade anyways), playing Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided.  He was the Western Allies, while I got the Cominterm Pact.  We dusted the Krauts in Spring of 1944 and Japan in Fall of the same year.

We were playing against the AI at "Average", with Advanced Supply turned off.  It was still a fun game, if a learning experience for both of us.  Grigsby's always spent a lot more time getting his game systems right than his User Interfaces!   :o

Still, it was a fun battle.  Germany took too long to go after the Soviet Union, with fruitless diversions in Yugoslavia and North Africa.  What would have been a desperate Soviet blood bath had the hammer fallen in Summer 1941 turned out to be little more than a measured Red Army retreat when he came after me in Spring 1942.  A decisive German defeat in the Siege of Leningrad in the Fall of 1942 was all the Soviets needed to turn the table massively and they really never looked back.

The Allies never even needed a D-Day in Europe, contenting themselves with pecking away at the Mediterranean belly of the Axis beast while the Soviet Juggernaut rolled through Italy and Albania.  We're definitely thinking this will be a good PBEM game against each other, once we figure out how to play with Fog of War turned on and Advance Supply rules in effect!

Congrats!

Gusington

Just finished the main quest for The Witcher 3...now...putting it aside for a bit to tackle...Alien - Isolation  :D

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Don't worry, it'll be like the Witcher series, except with one thousand percent more impotence and pants-crapping terror.  :bd: ...and no collectable card conquests, I guess.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I posted the above expressly for you! There really isn't much pants-crapping in The Witcher, although some of the missions are creepy rather than outright horrific. Girding my moistened loins for Alien - Isolation! Also will be getting some time in with Sins of a Solar Empire - Rebellion and CoD Infinite Warfare for my full sci-fi smorgasbord.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Dangit, I may have to reboot the game from where I cowardly left off now...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

You didn't actually finish Alien??

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I never even got as far as seeing the Alien. However far that is. No spoilers.  ^-^

In my defense, I've spent 40 years having stressy and occasionally fatally nightmarish dreams 8 hours a night, 365 days a year, and while I don't ever recall being killed by the Xenomorphs they do show up at least a few times a year. I realized while playing that if I kept going, I'd be setting up an immersive situation where I would DEFINITELY be killed in tense and/or surprising ways by the Alien while in first person perspective, and that if anything ever started those nightmares this would be it. Being killed in a dream isn't any more fun after the 600th time.  :hide:

So I'll just have to live vicariously through the suffering of others!  :bd:  ;D

agathosdaimon

I finally finished a Darthmod Napoleon TW campaign - the Italian campaign - for years i kept attempting it but would get crushed at the start even time, trying to take Turin too early, instead i went for the surrounding territories first and did much better. It really was a fulfilling campaign, what Darthmod did to the AI was outstanding - had some tremendous battles with an ebb and flow - i learned that really one must focus on getting ones units experience up - a small experienced army can take on a large fresh army pretty well if one can really pay attention, go for a Leuthen strategy and try to target their cannon with ones own cannon early on. the final battle at klagenfurt was the hardest as the austrians dont really wait for me to come to them but start move their whole army on me from the start. i know i am prob just going over what others here have long since done but i wanted to post nevertheless as i rarely get to finish TW campaigns outright anymore

Sir Slash

Congrats on the win agathosdaimon. That's no small feat that. Darthmod makes the game mucho, mucho better.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MetalDog

Congrats, agathosdaimon!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Anguille

Congrats...sounds like a really nice campaign!

I just lost my Gnolam campaign in Master of Orion CtS....i have been crushed by the Sakkras and the Klakons....

Gusington

Congrats! I never finished one campaign of either Empire TW or Napoleon TW.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Bought Alea Jacta Est during the Steam Summer Sale 2017 and managed to finish it before the sale ends!

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MetalDog

W8, can you play MP on Alea?  I'd be down for that if we can.  I am not very good, but I think I would have more fun if there were another human involved.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

W8taminute

Quote from: MetalDog on July 04, 2017, 02:26:59 PM
W8, can you play MP on Alea?  I'd be down for that if we can.  I am not very good, but I think I would have more fun if there were another human involved.

MD I'd love to play this game with you.  I believe you play by email though so it's not like a live online session.  I'd be up for it though.  Let me log into Steam and see how this would work. 

Edit:  Yup.  Just read the manual.  One person hosts the game and emails the turn to the next player.  The second player plays his turn and emails the file back to the host.  Host then puts the turn in the correct folder and loads the game.  I believe you can also send the turn files back and forth to each other via an instant messaging app.  Maybe even the Steam chat tool?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk