Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Me and the Boys from Rome managed a stupendous "Minor Victory" over that pretty boy Pyrrus and his Greek, Etruscan, Boiian, and Merc allies in Alea Jacta Est's Pyrrus Campaign. A very tough fight altogether but fun once we got the upper hand which takes awhile to do. Let the Victory Orgy commence!
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 13, 2018, 02:25:40 PM
Me and the Boys from Rome managed a stupendous "Minor Victory" over that pretty boy Pyrrus and his Greek, Etruscan, Boiian, and Merc allies in Alea Jacta Est's Pyrrus Campaign. A very tough fight altogether but fun once we got the upper hand which takes awhile to do. Let the Victory Orgy commence!

Congrats!

Don't invite the pugs to the victory orgy.

Sir Slash

NEVER! They always steal the loincloths when nobody's looking.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

Not bad Sir Slash.  Good work!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

Thank you W8. Next up is the First Punic War, about a hundred turns long if I remember correct.

JasonPratt

Finished BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE GAME this past weekend. Much more of a classic point-n-click adventure game than other TTG offerings I've played so far. No quicktime events. Lots of cleverness and love for the franchise. Some pretty deep-cut franchise jokes, including the animated series, and possibly even a nod to the first draft of the novelization of the first film, where the late author implied that in the first experiment Einstein the dog had gone to hell!

Silvestri's iconic series themes get a strong workout. Christopher Loyd reprises Doc Brown, who is heavily featured throughout the game. Michael J. Fox cameos briefly as a few characters in the final ep, and maybe also as Marty in the prologue to the first ep. (Not quite sure, but it sounds like he and Loyd are remaking the iconic first deLorean scene together.) Loyd's consistently good; other voices range from also consistently good (e.g. Edna Strickland, older sister of the vice principle from the trilogy) to cringey. Unfortunately, Marty's primary voice actor (who naturally has the most spoken lines) falls in the cringey category, doing his best to mimic Michael J. Fox.

The main timeline (for want of a better description) is set in 1986 one year after the trilogy ends, with at least two main timeline variations of this. (There are a couple of clever jokes about 2015 technology in the flying DeLorean.) Most of the game however is set in 1931 Hill Valley, Prohibition Era (with also a brief sequence in 1871 in the final ep), and revolves around Doc Brown as a young man.

If you have kids nearby, be aware that the game curses as much as the film trilogy! -- although I also got the odd impression that the writers were either given a restriction on how many stronger curses they could use, or they were given a mandate on including at least so many and then just didn't care to do any more. This makes the dialogue a little schizophrenic at times. e.g., are they actually going to say $#!+ this time or not?!

The plot goes to some dark places along the way, arguably even darker than anything in the first two movies! This surprised me but I appreciated the thoughtfulness. It creates a rather 'broken aesop', however, because if anything the plot should stress Doc's resolution to destroy the DeLorean because time travel is too dangerous, yet at the end with reality evidently breaking down around them he's like, bah, let's just ignore this and have some fun time traveling for a while. (--wah?)

Potential players should also be aware that the prologue to the first episode is later treated as only a premonition dream sequence foreshadowing a few later plot developments; yet there are various bits of dialogue and other evidence in the first episode (only) that the timeline changed around Marty and for some reason he remembers the differences. This appears to be a purely dropped plotline, not to be resolved later. So if anyone else plays the game, you can ignore those plot-hints.

Overall I enjoyed the game, but I'm also kind-of glad they never got around to making a sequel. I don't quite trust they could do as well the next time, and I REALLY DO NOT EVER want to spend another moment of my life listening to that impersonation of MJFox.  :wow: #:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Very good Mr. Pratt!  :clap:

FarAway Sooner

:clap:

Jason, as part of your victory celebration, you now have to say "fix the flux capacitor" quickly five times in a row. 

BanzaiCat

Good to know someone's finished the Back to the Future game. I have it too and played it about halfway through but stopped for whatever reason - it's been a few years.

Sir Slash

This reminds me I haven't finished anything in a while.  :'(

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 19, 2018, 09:19:48 AM
This reminds me I haven't finished anything in a while.  :'(

Are you spending too much time teaching Pugs to do inappropriate things?
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=22096.0

Sir Slash

They actually teach me some things, appropriate and inappropriate.

Anguille

Completed my first games of Civilization IV (space victory) and Civilization VI (cultural victory).

Back to the future game is on my list of games to play...well done. I always enjoy these story games but they take a long time to finish.

SirAndrewD

Finished Far Cry 5.  Feel like crap.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

airboy

Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 21, 2018, 02:56:38 AM
Finished Far Cry 5.  Feel like crap.

Why - because it is over?