Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

Wow, good job, that's sounds like a long road. Got a pbem game going in OOB, a pacific scenario, were on about turn 35. I like how these pbem games have no set ending, meet the VP conditions or keep battling until one force is Kaput or surrenders.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

JasonPratt

That does sound epic! (Both posts, I mean.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Rayfer

Well done airboy...! Sounds like it was a real slug-fest.  :knuppel2:

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

-budd-

Wow, this thread slipped back to page 5. I actual finished Pillars of Eternity a couple of weeks ago. Finished the main quest and White March 1 & 2, didn't do all the side quests but did a great many of them. I historically suck at these games so i appreciate being able to lower the difficulty on some parts, like the dragon fight :) . Also utilized the AI control of party members, i would usually let the AI control my two tanks and i'd stay in the back with the mage and druid and cast away. logged about 84 hours into the game, with a restart after 15 hours. Next time i cycle back to this type of game it will be Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition, then think about picking up the part 2's.

Con

Finished Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire

It was a good game but near the end (third chapter) I just wanted to end it.  My play style is to go and explore and do lots of sidequests and so sometimes I loose interest in the endgame.  That was the case here.  I did it alone without allying with any of the factions

Huw the Poo

Oh I forgot about this thread.  I recently finished The Last of Us, having picked it up because of the universal praise.

I was totally underwhelmed.  Hour after hour of sneaking slowly around boring, samey rubble-strewn environments, always looking out for that one route which always conveniently appears, barely any story, crap combat.  I guess it picked up a little in the final act, but it was much too little, much too late.  I just can't believe so many people cite it as a generation-defining game.  It's also put me off Uncharted, which is another game I was going to investigate.  Not any more!

Rayfer

Quote from: -budd- on March 15, 2019, 10:14:34 PM
Wow, this thread slipped back to page 5. I actual finished Pillars of Eternity a couple of weeks ago. Finished the main quest and White March 1 & 2, didn't do all the side quests but did a great many of them. I historically suck at these games so i appreciate being able to lower the difficulty on some parts, like the dragon fight :) . Also utilized the AI control of party members, i would usually let the AI control my two tanks and i'd stay in the back with the mage and druid and cast away. logged about 84 hours into the game, with a restart after 15 hours. Next time i cycle back to this type of game it will be Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition, then think about picking up the part 2's.

Well done budd...I'm jealous, I got the very end boss battle and just couldn't defeat him, even on easy.  Maybe I went in prematurely at too low of character levels, I'm not sure.  :-[

Rayfer

Quote from: Con on March 15, 2019, 10:14:40 PM

It was a good game but near the end (third chapter) I just wanted to end it.  My play style is to go and explore and do lots of sidequests and so sometimes I loose interest in the endgame.  That was the case here.  I did it alone without allying with any of the factions

I enjoyed PoE 1 but never finished. Some day I'll get 2 when it goes on sale.  Regardless, finishing any of these RPG is quite an accomplishment....well done!

jamus34

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 16, 2019, 02:28:44 AM
Oh I forgot about this thread.  I recently finished The Last of Us, having picked it up because of the universal praise.

I was totally underwhelmed.  Hour after hour of sneaking slowly around boring, samey rubble-strewn environments, always looking out for that one route which always conveniently appears, barely any story, crap combat.  I guess it picked up a little in the final act, but it was much too little, much too late.  I just can't believe so many people cite it as a generation-defining game.  It's also put me off Uncharted, which is another game I was going to investigate.  Not any more!

I have the last of us but haven't played it yet. That said don't let it deter you from Uncharted, especially Uncharted 2. One of the rare games I did not put down until I beat it.
Insert witty comment here.

Sir Slash

Well done budd and Con!  O0 O0 O0     I really liked PoE 1, and 2 is great too but somewhat less enjoyable for me. I will finish it and want to get the add-ons.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

-budd-

Just tell me that POE 2 has the adjust the difficulty on the fly and the same AI control scheme. Controlling more than two gets to be a bit of a mess for my feeble brain, and the ability to lower the difficulty keeps me moving forward. I probably won't start another one of these types for awhile, near the end of White March 2 i was forcing myself to finish. Just every now and then I get a desire to play a badass spell casting sum bitch ;D

Sir Slash

Oh Yeah. You can adjust the difficulty when you need to and the AI can be adjusted with even more choices than in PoE 1. I never played PoE 1 allowing my companions to be AI controlled but I've come to enjoy it a lot in PoE 2 because it works very well, though it is more complicated. Everything in PoE 2 has more choices and so is more complex such as Character Creation and combat choices but you still can play it more simply if you want. And your characters can now multi-class so you can go Fighter-Mage or whatever you want.  :clap:   Party size is down to 5 though which I don't like.

FarAway Sooner

I won my first timeline playing Into the Breach!  That's a brilliant little gem (sort of a thinking man's, turn-based FTL) that mixes different aspects of Panzer General, Tetris, and an RPG in a unique combo.

Ultimately, I was just able to power up my different weapon systems to just do enough damage, and push the enemy around the board, so that I was able to avoid catastrophic damage to my Mechs or the civilian power grid that they had to defend. 

Having a good combination of Pilots really helped too.  One guy had a special ability to avoid Web attacks, which really helped my Brute mech deal with the nasty little web-slinging melee fighters.  And another had the Armor ability, which reduces the damage you receive from each alien attack by one.  That made it really easy to throw him into harm's way to protect my civilian structures from the annoying little guys while I took care of the bigger threats.

I've been playing it 20 or 30 hours and this is the first timeline I've won.  I'm very psyched about that.

airboy

Quote from: Con on March 15, 2019, 10:14:40 PM

Congratulations!  And I feel the exact same way you do.  I still have not finished the last hour or so of Pillars 2 for the reasons you discuss.