Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Quote from: W8taminute on April 21, 2020, 08:20:28 AM
Just finished the Xenonauts campaign last night.  Very good game.  I like this better than the modern X-COM.

Congrats!  I never got far into a Xenonauts campaign.  Did they include some of the more ridiculous late-game weaponry like the Blaster Launcher and psionics?  Or is that stuff all toned down?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

W8taminute

Quote from: al_infierno on April 21, 2020, 01:49:47 PM
Just finished the Xenonauts campaign last night.  Very good game.  I like this better than the modern X-COM.

Congrats!  I never got far into a Xenonauts campaign.  Did they include some of the more ridiculous late-game weaponry like the Blaster Launcher and psionics?  Or is that stuff all toned down?

Nothing ridiculous in this game.  Each new technology you unlock to fight against the aliens makes sense and is realistically plausible.  The aliens are not easy to beat despite all the new tech you discover however but it does even the odds a bit.  The spoiler free ending is that it was a tough fight but it wasn't something that could not theoretically happen. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

-budd-

Nice finish, all i ever do is play awhile, put it down, then restart sometime later, rinse and repeat. good job
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

airboy

Congratulations!  I played it for 95 hours and cannot remember if I ever finished it or not.

FarAway Sooner

Xenonauts was a great game.  The free 60-page mininovel that came with it was some of the best game-related fiction I've ever seen.  Totally captured the original X-Com feel, expanding on it one or two places to make it a little more original but totally being true to its predecessor.

I ended up running out of gas somewhere that felt like 70% or 80% of the way through the game.  But, like Airboy, I had somewhere around 100 hours of great gaming time out of it.

Anguille

Played and finished the Coalition campaign in Napoleon Total War with Prussia...so i finished all the campaigns and battles! Time to focus on the next game. :)

Rayfer

Quote from: Anguille on April 27, 2020, 02:46:53 AM
Played and finished the Coalition campaing in Napoleon Total War with Prussia...so i finished all the campaigns and battles! Time to focus on the next game. :)

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:  Well done!

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

W8taminute

Great job Anguille.  I want to do the same myself but my list of games to be played is quite large. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Anguille

Thanks! I am really glad i did. It's always my wish to fully discover a game. To me, it's like finishing a good book.

JasonPratt

So, it's mod time then?  >:D

(I have no idea what mods are good for NappyTW, but my rough guess would be American Civil War and WW1.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Anguille

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 28, 2020, 07:19:52 AM

(I have no idea what mods are good for NappyTW, but my rough guess would be American Civil War and WW1.)
Oh no, no time for mods. First i have to complete the zillions other games i have in my library!

Sir Slash

I played a good mod for NTW. I can't remember the name of it but it doubled the number of units in a stack(40) army or navy and the number of troops in a unit. It made for some truly epic sized battles. And beautiful to look at. Unfortunately, armies that large were almost impossible to control in battle and fleets.... forget about it.  :hide: But it was fun for awhile.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

IICptMillerII

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 28, 2020, 07:19:52 AM

Darthmod for Napoleon, and most of the historical Total War games are great. Though personally I think Darthmod is far and away the best for Napoleon and Empire Total War.

The WWI mod for nappy is a bit janky, and the game really isn't designed for WWI, but it can be fun nonetheless.