Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Quote from: W8taminute on April 21, 2020, 08:20:28 AM
Just finished the Xenonauts campaign last night.  Very good game.  I like this better than the modern X-COM.

Thanks for posting your accomplishment.

I did not care for the modern X-Com very much but loved the first two in the original series.

I did not care that much for Xenonauts when originally released - I forget why.

But because you commented on it I loaded it up.  I'd gotten into a tremendous rut/frenzy over Order of Battle and the community content.

The current version of Xenonauts is excellent.  Only the music is weaker than the original X-Com.  The music is very good - I keep it on (highly unusual for me).  But it is not as good as the original X-Com for the sheer creepiness value. 

Everything else about the game is just wonderful and much improved.  I'm playing it on easy and am midway through month 4.  I've fought two terror missions including a night terror mission.  The AI tactical combat is better.  The controls and the visuals are much, much better.  And a lot of the frankly irritating troop loadout management & construction/sales micromanagement for cash has been either removed or made a lot more friendly.

I'm not enamored of aerial combat - and the current version lets you auto-resolve it.  I'm sure there are advantages if you want to run your own aerial battles - but that is just not for me.  I love the strategic management, research management, and tactical combat sides of the game.

W8taminute

Quote from: airboy on April 29, 2020, 05:18:13 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on April 21, 2020, 08:20:28 AM
Just finished the Xenonauts campaign last night.  Very good game.  I like this better than the modern X-COM.

Thanks for posting your accomplishment.

I did not care for the modern X-Com very much but loved the first two in the original series.

I did not care that much for Xenonauts when originally released - I forget why.

But because you commented on it I loaded it up.  I'd gotten into a tremendous rut/frenzy over Order of Battle and the community content.

The current version of Xenonauts is excellent.  Only the music is weaker than the original X-Com.  The music is very good - I keep it on (highly unusual for me).  But it is not as good as the original X-Com for the sheer creepiness value. 

Everything else about the game is just wonderful and much improved.  I'm playing it on easy and am midway through month 4.  I've fought two terror missions including a night terror mission.  The AI tactical combat is better.  The controls and the visuals are much, much better.  And a lot of the frankly irritating troop loadout management & construction/sales micromanagement for cash has been either removed or made a lot more friendly.

I'm not enamored of aerial combat - and the current version lets you auto-resolve it.  I'm sure there are advantages if you want to run your own aerial battles - but that is just not for me.  I love the strategic management, research management, and tactical combat sides of the game.

Awesome!  Good to hear you're liking the game.  Yes air combat is a bit tricky if you manually play it out.  I do like that they gave an option to play it out or just autoresolve it. 

I'm in agreement with you on the soldier loadout management screen.  It's a screen a spent a lot of time on prior to each ground mission. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Con

Just finished Divinity Original Sin 2.  I got the happy hero ending.

I took every quest, scraped all the exp I could (my playstyle is I like to be overpowered going in to the final boss fight).  unfortunately it does lead me to feel a certain fatigue playing these games - the last third of the game always seems long and more a grind/work than fun (apart from Witcher 3 thats the only one which I truly missed when it was all over).  Still DOS2 was entertaining enough to keep me going.

Con

-budd-

Good job, those games are tough to get to the finish line. I get that same fatigue, at that point i usually either abandon all side quests and focus only on the main quest, which on some games you can't do because "got to up those levels" ...sigh, or i put it down and comeback later. I Still have DOS1 to finish. These are the only types of games where i go "damn, does this game ever end ;D" then i usually go onto much smaller games i can finish quickly.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Sir Slash

Excellent Con! Congrats on you, 'Divine' performance.  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Congratulations Con!

You put in words how I end up feeling about a lot of RPGs.  Perfectionism has a price.

Rayfer

Quote from: -budd- on May 04, 2020, 07:19:33 AM
Good job, those games are tough to get to the finish line. I get that same fatigue, at that point i usually either abandon all side quests and focus only on the main quest, which on some games you can't do because "got to up those levels" ...sigh, or i put it down and comeback later. I Still have DOS1 to finish. These are the only types of games where i go "damn, does this game ever end ;D" then i usually go onto much smaller games i can finish quickly.

Good job budd....!  I'm in the early stages of the game, got my boat fixed and am now exploring the seas.

Anguille

I completed the Road to Independance campaign in Empire Total War! The next two campaigns will be first India and then America.

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

W8taminute

Quote from: Anguille on May 19, 2020, 02:24:48 AM
I completed the Road to Independance campaign in Empire Total War! The next two campaigns will be first India and then America.

Nice!  Some of those campaigns in Empire, at least for me anyway, proved to be tough enough that I gave up on them.  I'll have to revisit them now that I have more Total War experience under my belt.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

W8taminute

HA!  I finished it!  After 7 years of agony I finished it!

What have I finished you say?  Dark Souls. 

I started playing Dark Souls on Xbox360 back in 2013.  As some of you may already know Dark Souls is a game that prides itself of being insanely tough to the point where most people give up on it. 

Somehow though I managed to make my way all the way to the final boss.  I looked forward to beating the game but when I encountered that last boss for whatever reason I couldn't figure out how to beat him.  I must have failed at least a hundred times.  I got so aggravated after putting in 150+ hours into the game to fail so miserably.  Then Dark Souls II came out and I played and beat that game. 

Over the course of the past 7 years I would revisit Dark Souls and try to beat that last boss but to no avail.  I just couldn't do it even after watching every YouTube video and reading every written guide I could find on how to beat Gwyn Lord of Cinder.

Everyone who wrote a guide or posted a video kept saying that he's really one of the easier bosses to beat which was disappointing for being an end boss.  I just couldn't see that though and I couldn't figure out for the life of me what I was doing wrong.  I never gave up however because I really like the Dark Souls series and I was determined to win.  I'd play the game for a few days off and on trying to beat Gwyn but couldn't do it...until late last night. 

I stopped trying out different strategies that people had recommended and just concentrated on what I was doing wrong.  What were his attack patterns if any and what did I do over and over again wrongly to try to counter them.  When I looked at the whole picture after clearing my mind of all the advice I had read or seen I finally identified what I was doing wrong and I beat that mo fo!  I finally beat him!!! <:-)

It took me a total of about 210 hours of game time to do it but I did it. 

Anguille

Congratulations! That's an impressive achievement. I also hate it when i cannot finish a game.

Con

There is a real rush when you are so deeply invested in a game through time committed etc to suddenly see that you might have a way to beat the game.  The holy crap its working moment- the I am so close will I be able to do it- the panic over the thought of failing.

I find my heart pounding and breath shortening like I was a kid again doing some insanely dangerous thing.  Its amazing that some electronic pixels can elicit such a strong feeling.

Sir Slash

Congrats to all who finished their games/campaigns.  :notworthy:  I'm still trying to beat Pong.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Rayfer

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 19, 2020, 09:50:13 AM
Congrats to all who finished their games/campaigns.  :notworthy:  I'm still trying to beat Pong.  :hide:

+1 congrats to all.  I did finish a bottle of wine last night; does that count?