Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on August 13, 2020, 08:10:55 AM
Thank you - highly recommended campaign if you're interested in Japanese history.

Good to know and yes I'm interested in Japanese history.  I've been on the fence though with that game but after seeing all the positive feedback from everyone here I'm going to wishlist it and wait for a good sale.   8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

You can get some decent discounts during the seasonal sales. The base game is 'free.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Order of Battle has the best modding support for any computer wargame released in the last decade.

You can download around 30 campaigns (campaigns, not scenarios) using this engine for free.

Admittedly, I've liked OoB since the initial release.  But the modding community support for the game give you literally another 300 hours of play once you have any of the core games. 

I've been playing free campaigns for OoB from the modding community for six months now almost nonstop.  And I've yet to hit the 50% mark of completion even from the best of the best of the modders.

Anguille

Congrats on your Victory!

W8taminute

Base game is free you say?  So I could get the base game and would those awesome community campaigns work with just the base game?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Gusington

Not sure, but I know Airboy would be able to answer that. There may be a chance those community campaigns need assets in the (for-pay) DLCs.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on August 14, 2020, 02:26:51 PM
Not sure, but I know Airboy would be able to answer that. There may be a chance those community campaigns need assets in the (for-pay) DLCs.

You have to paste custom scenarios in <my documents>\My Games\OOB-WW2\Scenarios. You need to own at least 1 DLC. (the free version does not support custom campaigns or scenarios)

airboy

Quote from: W8taminute on August 14, 2020, 01:44:49 PM
Base game is free you say?  So I could get the base game and would those awesome community campaigns work with just the base game?

If you download the base game, and order one DLC (Kreigsmarine is priced at $10 all of the time), then you can run all of the community campaigns.

W8taminute

Quote from: airboy on August 14, 2020, 05:19:11 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on August 14, 2020, 01:44:49 PM

If you download the base game, and order one DLC (Kreigsmarine is priced at $10 all of the time), then you can run all of the community campaigns.

Quote from: Pete Dero on August 14, 2020, 03:45:38 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 14, 2020, 02:26:51 PM

You have to paste custom scenarios in <my documents>\My Games\OOB-WW2\Scenarios. You need to own at least 1 DLC. (the free version does not support custom campaigns or scenarios)

Thanks guys, this is good to know.  The price of admission doesn't seem that steep then.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

-budd-

Finished the Final Station   https://store.steampowered.com/app/435530/The_Final_Station/

Took about 4 1/2 hours to finish, which felt about the right length for this game, not over staying it's welcome. i started the DLC and played about 30 minutes and shut it down, i was done. The DLC, same gameplay, different angle, new enemies, worse check points.

I'd recommend the main game, especially on sale. It's a side stroller exploration game with management aspects. Game it not overly hard, but can break your balls in a few areas, but the checkpoints are fair in this regard not making you start to far away from the ball breaking sequence. Managing your resources is defiantly a key aspect, ammo, medpacks, and food. You swear your going to save ammo, then you encounter one of those ball breaking areas and poof, suddenly your empty. Same with the medpacks. you want to save them for your passengers, but your survival is first. Ammo and medpacks you can craft on the train........O yea the train, you travel from area to area by train searching areas for survivors and resources. The survivors you find while searching areas go right to the train, that's where you find them when you finish an area. The survivors are in various conditions, some are hungry, hurt, so you need to scavenge supplies in these areas for survival. Any survivors you have still alive when you reach a station you get a reward for, until you reach the final station.  Rewards are money and items, and there are shops at stations to buy supplies. To get clear of an area you need to find a code while searching that allows the train to pass. You don't have to search the whole areas to find the code, but there might be needed supplies in those places you haven't searched, but also danger, risk vs reward. I'm not sure if there are multiple endings, but pretty sure i got a bad one :'(

if the gameplay is in your wheel house, pick it up on sale. Skip the DLC and game plays better with a gamepad.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Con

You know off topic but  I never see jarhead in this forum. Is he a finisher?  Who else doesn't visit here?

-budd-

Finished Volume, took about 9 hours.   https://store.steampowered.com/app/365770/Volume/

Volume is a stealth puzzle game that everyone who enjoys these types of games should play. Two thumbs up, one of the best stealth puzzle games I've played.

What makes it so good. The game is fair first of all, not one of these games with levels that have razor thin margins to get to complete a level, you know where you need exact timing to finish. There are a hundred levels to finish in the core game, and many more user created levels if you want some more. Some levels are harder than others but the games keeps a pretty even keel throughout. The game is just fun to play, and quite tense in a lot of spots. One of my favorite things about the game is the fact that it introduces new elements practically throughout the whole game. Either new tools for you to use, new enemies, or new environmental challenges. There are checkpoints in the levels, so you don't really have to repeat the whole level after a particularly hard stretch.

The enemies have different characteristics, for instance the sniper can see long range but slow to shoot so you can dash across an opening. Sometimes getting by an area comes down to small details like  paying attention to which way the guard turns so you can slip by the other way. All the tools you find to help in a level are useful to one degree or another, sometimes there are multiple tools in a level. You can only ever carrying one tool at a time, so you kind of get to decide your play style in those moments. The tools only last a certain amount of time and take time to reload, which is important in those moments where you have to use the tool twice to get by an area....gulp....those are tough moments.

The art style and soundtrack fit the game, and it is best played with a gamepad. Another one of those games i picked up for few dollars that turns out to be a gem.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Gusington

I am rarely in here, sadly.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

So I finished Pillars of Eternity 2 last night. I wish I could say I won but really the game just ends after a brutally tough fight and some conversing the local Deities. I didn't really feel like my being there had any effect on the ending at all, though I'm sure my choices throughout and at the end had some effect, and there's probably more ways the game can end than I experienced. Overall, the game was great but a step down from the first game I felt and the Voice Acting was so good I didn't really mind the slow grind most of the time. But I was well ready for the game to end. I didn't finish the Inner Sanctum DLC so I'll go back and work my way through it now.

Here I am chatting it up with a God. Or as I like to call it, 'Tuesday'.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.