!! Shandalar 2015 !! -- uh, not that it exists, so far as you know

Started by JasonPratt, August 21, 2015, 09:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

This may be the strangest thread I've stumbled upon in these forums over the past few years. I have no idea what's being written about?

Staggerwing

It's about Magic: The Gathering and some of its various incarnations/addons/standalone updates. That much I know.

The rest?  ???
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Quote from: Rayfer on August 22, 2015, 05:09:46 PM
This may be the strangest thread I've stumbled upon in these forums over the past few years. I have no idea what's being written about?

Yeah, I'm starting to think that too.  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

1st rule of Shandalar 2015: DO NOT ASK ABOUT SHANDALAR 2015!

2nd rule of Shandalar 2015: DO NOT ASK ABOUT SHANDALAR 2015!

3rd rule of Shandalar 2015: try to buy some Disenchants and a full set of Circles of Protection pronto. Those things are invaluable (and possibly illegal in modern play. I was amazed the current Duels doesn't have either of them.) Naturally this means starting with a white deck, though the game will throw in a random minority complement of some other color.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Rayfer

Quote from: bbmike on August 22, 2015, 07:27:18 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on August 22, 2015, 05:09:46 PM

Yeah, I'm starting to think that too.  :D

My wife and I just finished watching the movie "Birdman" with Michael Keaton...in some odd way I felt the same way about that movie as I do about this thread.

Nefaro

The old 90s now was left by the wayside.  And it's, arguably, the best of the lot due to having some varied vestige of a proper single-player experience. 

It's been very cowed multiplayer shit ever since they started up again. 

JasonPratt

Am I honestly going to have to do a DAR on Shandalar to instruct young whippersnappers why those of us who know about it keep whinging about Wizards-of-the-Cost not re-making it?

Because I will. If I have to. For... illustration.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

besilarius

Come on, Jason.  You know you really want to.
Slip down that slippery slope.l
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Nefaro

I played the hell out of Microprose's Duels of the Planeswalkers.  Although I recall there being an occasional annoying bug in it.

Damn campaign was pretty tough.  O0

JasonPratt

Quote from: besilarius on August 23, 2015, 01:16:04 PM
Come on, Jason.  You know you really want to.
Slip down that slippery slope.l

Slippage!

(...possibly not what that word normally implies in English slang. Or possibly so, considering at least one of the screenshots of the background art, come to think of it...)