Main Menu

Steve Spurrier retires

Started by MetalDog, October 12, 2015, 09:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

FINALLY!!!

My animus against Spurrier was from his time at Florida and was mainly inherited from my grandfather (a life long Crimson Tide fan (Alabama wasn't always good when The Visor roamed the sidelines in The Swamp)).  It was with glee that I watched The Ol' Ball Coach fail spectacularly as the coach of the Washington NFL club.  Then he went to South Carolina, the armpit of the SEC.

A list of his collegiate accomplishments follows, from the Wiki: "...Spurrier moved on to Duke University, where he led his 1989 squad to the team's first conference championship since 1962 and last to date. He returned to the University of Florida to become the Gators' head coach in 1990. From then until 2001, he led his alma mater to its first six Southeastern Conference (SEC) championships and its first consensus national championship in 1996...Spurrier returned to the college game in 2005, when he became head coach of the South Carolina Gamecocks. At South Carolina, he has brought the program to previously unattained levels of success. Under his watch, the Gamecocks have tallied three of their four 10-win seasons in team history, as well as the Gamecocks' only 11-win seasons and top-10 poll finishes.  Spurrier is the winningest coach in both Florida and South Carolina history, one of the few coaches to top the wins list at two power-conference schools. Spurrier is also the first Heisman Trophy winner to coach a Heisman Trophy winner."

An awesome list of achievement after achievement.  He was an awesome quote whenever a mic was in front of him.  And well deserving of the love and hate he inspired in fans all over the South.  College football is less now for him not being there.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/reports--south-carolina-head-coach-steve-spurrier-plans-to-retire-012729392.html
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

I didn't know Spurrier was 70 years old.  SC had some decent teams a few years ago, but this year they are not good at all.  I bet that had something to do with his decision.

MetalDog

No doubt in my mind.  And believe me, a smile crossed my face when I saw the headline.  I knew SC sucked this year.

Bison

I'm waiting for Saben to quit again.  That'll be a happy day.

Bison

If SC had balls they'd offer the job to Lane Kiffen and a full ride scholarship to Saben's daughter.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on October 13, 2015, 05:57:35 PMIf SC had balls they'd offer the job to Lane Kiffen and a full ride scholarship to Saben's daughter.

I thought Lane already gave her a full ride...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

How are those State teams you guys root for doing this year?  Any chance at making the playoff this year?  Or EVER , for that matter?  H8trs gonna h8

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on October 13, 2015, 07:41:22 PMHow are those State teams you guys root for doing this year? 

We're happy to make a bowl game.  We shouldn't be, but we are.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Meh.  State has had a good season.  It's been the opponents last drive of the game that has killed them this season.  I suspect they'll get into a low tier bowl game, because at some point they run out of top 10 teams to play.

MetalDog

Quote from: Bison on October 13, 2015, 08:38:28 PM
Meh.  State has had a good season.  It's been the opponents last drive of the game that has killed them this season.  I suspect they'll get into a low tier bowl game, because at some point they run out of top 10 teams to play.

That's what you get for playing in a conference that can't count.

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 13, 2015, 08:37:32 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on October 13, 2015, 07:41:22 PMHow are those State teams you guys root for doing this year? 

We're happy to make a bowl game.  We shouldn't be, but we are.

I see both of you made excuses.  Neither provided the proper answer to my question, which is, no, our teams will NEVER make the playoff.  'Bama, even with one loss, is still in the hunt this year and made it last year.  And has three National Championships in the last six years.  So, when the mighty stride by, the little people nip at their heels.  The price the juggernaut pays for success.

Bison

*Yawn*  The Big 10 has surpassed the SWAC or whatever the hell you call that conference these days in quality teams.

MetalDog

Ohio State, Michigan et al, would never sweat the SWAC.  The Big 12, otoh, produces such long and storied programs as Baylor and Texas Christian University.  Still doesn't know how to count though.

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on October 13, 2015, 09:13:11 PM
Ohio State, Michigan et al, would never sweat the SWAC.  The Big 12, otoh, produces such long and storied programs as Baylor and Texas Christian University.  Still doesn't know how to count though.

One of which will most likely be in the play offs and should have been there last year.  It doesn't matter.  Spurrier is still retiring I think.

MetalDog

Baylor needs to play someone and TCU needs to quit shedding impact defenders of their own.  Having said that, if either of them goes undefeated, they still may not get in.  No Big We Can't Count championship game.

And Spurrier is resigning, not retiring.  He made that clear earlier today.  Says he might coach a high school team.

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on October 13, 2015, 09:25:34 PM
And Spurrier is resigning, not retiring.  He made that clear earlier today.  Says he might coach a high school team.

I didn't realize the 'Bama job was open too.  :P