Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

Diplomacy itself is not entirely useless.

'Improve Relations' is the diplomatic action which alters the target nation's opinion of your nation and raises it.

Improving that relationship with a target nation beyond a certain threshold makes specific diplomatic actions available to you with that nation, such as docking rights, military access, increased trade, license production etc. Relationship status between your nation and another is affected by ideology, distance, how much your nation has increased world tension and other factors. The only way to improve a negative score is by the 'Improve Relations' action.

HoodedHorseJoe

Quote from: Ian C on March 08, 2019, 09:55:55 AM
The only way to improve a negative score is by the 'Improve Relations' action.

Yeah that's what I said, entirely useless. ;D
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

bobarossa

I thought the proper way to improve a negative score was to conquer them!

Rayfer

Quote from: Ian C on March 08, 2019, 09:55:55 AM
Diplomacy itself is not entirely useless.

'Improve Relations' is the diplomatic action which alters the target nation's opinion of your nation and raises it.

Improving that relationship with a target nation beyond a certain threshold makes specific diplomatic actions available to you with that nation, such as docking rights, military access, increased trade, license production etc. Relationship status between your nation and another is affected by ideology, distance, how much your nation has increased world tension and other factors. The only way to improve a negative score is by the 'Improve Relations' action.

Yes, you are correct, it can make a difference. The game is much deeper and more complex than when it came out.  They should hire you to write an up to date game manual.  :notworthy:

jamus34

Paradox user manuals. Outdated after the first patch.
Insert witty comment here.

ArizonaTank

AI notes:

Background: I am playing Japan...its mid-1942... Japan entered the War against Britain, France and the Dutch in '39. I decided to take the Japanese south, and leave China alone. So far, I have kept out of a China abyss and the US seems content to stay neutral. Took Borneo, and invaded Vietnam.

Have been fighting AI Commonwealth and Free French in Vietnam for about one year. Hard to make much traction with large armies in the jungle. The Allies use Burma as their base.

Some AI observations.

-Strategic AI: After two game years, no sign of the British Navy...or any navy for that matter. Japanese subs freely sink Allied transports in the South China Sea.

-In the largish land battle in Vietnam (30+ divisions on each side), the AI holds its own as an enemy. It generally knows how not to get cut off, and even manages some victories now and then. But overall, seems better at defense than offense. Still, an adequate sparing partner. The AI did dump a bunch of British aircraft into the fight. Spitfires vs. Zeroes. Kept me on my toes.

-I am not as satisfied with the friendly AI. Every time I set up an attack battleplan, it seems to trip over its own shoes. For example it pulled troops out of battles it was winning in the center to strengthen a flank and attempt a sweep. The Japanese weakened center attack then failed. The enemy AI counter-attacked in the center. The center line started to fail and I had to intervene. Anyway, I will play around with it some more, but generally I am managing my armies manually now. Not ready to trust my AI generals to run the battle for me.

-

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

dinsdale

Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 10, 2019, 12:37:03 PM

Some AI observations.

-Strategic AI: After two game years, no sign of the British Navy...or any navy for that matter. Japanese subs freely sink Allied transports in the South China Sea.

-In the largish land battle in Vietnam (30+ divisions on each side), the AI holds its own as an enemy. It generally knows how not to get cut off, and even manages some victories now and then. But overall, seems better at defense than offense. Still, an adequate sparing partner. The AI did dump a bunch of British aircraft into the fight. Spitfires vs. Zeroes. Kept me on my toes.

Seems so HOI-like that an expansion based on the navy doesn't have any naval forces showing up.

At it's peak, Britain's 14th army was about 13 divisions. How are Britain and France putting 30+ divisions into a battle in Vietnam in 1942? Did France defeat Germany and send its entire army east?

SirAndrewD

Quote from: dinsdale on March 10, 2019, 08:25:39 PM

Seems so HOI-like that an expansion based on the navy doesn't have any naval forces showing up.

At it's peak, Britain's 14th army was about 13 divisions. How are Britain and France putting 30+ divisions into a battle in Vietnam in 1942? Did France defeat Germany and send its entire army east?

Yeah, I'm noticing a lot more troops in the field, not quite at the old pre-DLC insane levels, but still a lot higher than before.  In my test game as the USA Germany had 500 Divisions and more than 300 factories by 41.   Italy wasn't far behind. 

The AI's using them better too.  I got my butt handed to me in that game.  First time ever it became apparent there wouldn't be any way to crack the Axis. 

It's a welcome change, but manpower might be getting out of hand a bit again.  Haven't had the chance to check under the hood and see.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ArizonaTank

Quote from: dinsdale on March 10, 2019, 08:25:39 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 10, 2019, 12:37:03 PM

Some AI observations.

I cheated, and took a look at the UK deployments. Most of the troops in Vietnam are Commonwealth. Many of the divisions are small, 7 infantry battalions, plus support companies. The AI has substantial carrier forces in the Indian Ocean parked as "strike forces". I guess they are a defensive bulwark against Japanese advance.  Looks like the way to Australia is open.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Ian C

Pete Dero

Quote from: Ian C on March 13, 2019, 11:24:27 AM
Patch 1.6.1 is out, full list of changes and fixes here : https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-1-6-1-patch-and-statistics.1160034/

Good news : patch 1.6.1 is out
Sad news : many of my mods are out of date or incompatible once more

Rayfer

Quote from: Pete Dero on March 13, 2019, 11:45:07 AM
Quote from: Ian C on March 13, 2019, 11:24:27 AM
Patch 1.6.1 is out, full list of changes and fixes here : https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-1-6-1-patch-and-statistics.1160034/

Maybe this can be done and I just don't know about it but....I wish you could sort Steam workshop mods by compatibility with the most current version.

Ian C

Quote from: Pete Dero on March 13, 2019, 11:45:07 AM

Quote from: Rayfer on March 13, 2019, 12:21:01 PM

Maybe this can be done and I just don't know about it but....I wish you could sort Steam workshop mods by compatibility with the most current version.

I know my way around modding. Which mods are you all using? Some of the graphics mods are easily updated.

onapthanh

Thank for your some other wonderful post. I am on the search for such info Where else may just anybody get that type of info in such an ideal way of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week.

jamus34

Quote from: onapthanh on March 16, 2019, 11:05:30 AM
Thank for your some other wonderful post. I am on the search for such info Where else may just anybody get that type of info in such an ideal way of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week.

W...T.....F. Spam knows no bounds
Insert witty comment here.