19th Century Chinese History Games?

Started by Gusington, February 07, 2012, 10:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

I love Dutch history, especially early New York history. Late 19th Century Dutch history? Meh. It's like reading a history of me. A lightweight who keeps getting pushed around by the bigger boys. I live that...why game it too? 

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Quote from: Gusington on February 07, 2012, 10:29:40 PM
I've been doing some reading on the Taiping Rebellion and the Chinese Civil War (19th Century) and enjoying it a lot. Are there any games at all that you know of covering this era? I realize it's a tall order. I found one reference to a Chinese made strategic game over at Wikipedia but nothing else. Thanks!

Totall 1600 years before what you've asked for, but have you tried Romance of the Three Kingdoms?  I used to have it on my PSOne and I picked up a version for my PS2, but I'm not sure if there is a PC version.  And yes, I realize you asked for 19th, not 3rd, but, it's the only thing I know of that encompasses all of China geographically.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

^I have always wanted to play a KOEI game. Getting a little desperate...gonna check to see if there's a site for them.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on February 08, 2012, 08:32:51 PM
If we were talking 16th century Japan, then sure. Honest question: did the Dutch send a unit of troops to help put down the Boxer Rebellion?

A quick google-chop tells me there were no troops from the Netherlands as it was not part of the 8 nation Alliance. It was, however,
one of the signatories to the Boxer Protocol which ended major hostilities.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Civ IV looks to be the way to go for this. There are 3 or 4 big scenario mods that cover the 19th century and include the Chinese.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

^Buddy, I've been trying to get you to play Civ IV with me for over two years.  If this is what does it for you, I'm in.  And I'm pretty sure we could grab W8 and maybe Bismarck, too.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

We did play for a few short months...Fall of Heaven II! Trying to download one of the mods I saw now at CivFanatics but "the server is too busy."

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Hartford688

How about this?

http://www.silvergames.com/high-tea

As always for me, found via RPS - here is the article (quite interesting I thought) that picked it out:

http://www.museum-id.com/ideas-detail.asp?newsID=267

Hartford688

Quote from: Gusington on February 08, 2012, 09:42:35 PM
^I have always wanted to play a KOEI game. Getting a little desperate...gonna check to see if there's a site for them.

Try here:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ROTTKXI/romance-of-the-three-kingdoms-xi

LongBlade

High Tea - I wasn't sure if it was a joke, a parody, or someone blithely ignoring history. Or trying to make a point with it.

Bismarck

I wonder if I can spim up a Chinse scenario with Vicky 2.
Jim Cobb

Hartford688

Quote from: LongBlade on February 12, 2012, 09:44:56 AM
High Tea - I wasn't sure if it was a joke, a parody, or someone blithely ignoring history. Or trying to make a point with it.

I believe from the other link it was meant to be broadly educational - so making a point.

You feel it was misleading?

LongBlade

Quote from: Hartford688 on February 12, 2012, 11:02:01 AM
I believe from the other link it was meant to be broadly educational - so making a point.

You feel it was misleading?

No, I just wasn't sure what I was looking at - purely from landing on the dev's page. They don't really give you context, they just toss you into the game.