Main Menu

VTOL VR

Started by Jarhead0331, July 11, 2017, 08:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

This was released today in early access. Wow. What a wonderfully unique flight experience. This is what innovation in gaming is all about. It still has a long way to go, but boy does flight feel great, and the fully VR HOTAS and cockpit controls shatters the VR flight simming bar. I don't think I'll be able to go back to standard HOTAS peripherals in VR anymore. This is the way it is meant to be.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Isn't it weird to not feel any resistance and only gripping a 'floating' controller?

I don't agree with your HOTAS statement. For me part of the immersion is that I have a flight stick that is a replica of a real one!  :smitten:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 04, 2017, 06:41:41 AM
Isn't it weird to not feel any resistance and only gripping a 'floating' controller?

I don't agree with your HOTAS statement. For me part of the immersion is that I have a flight stick that is a replica of a real one!  :smitten:

That's an interesting point, but really, give it a shot. It totally works. With the Vive, you're holding onto the beefy wands and in the VR world, they look like a real stick and throttle, so for me, immersion isn't broken. I can't explain it, but it feels right. This is the future of simming, and maybe even of real flight eventually too.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Easily the most innovative and immersive flight simulating experience I have ever had. This game is simply fantastic and it is only in EA. I have an interview with the developer in the works. I also have a free code to give away if anyone with VR is interested...Yskonym, I'm looking at you. Would love a real pilot's opinions on this. Perhaps we can do a follow up interview with your impressions as a pilot?

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Sure thing! Set me up! :notworthy:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

I have been flying around in this. It's a very good project. The interaction inside the cockpit with its controls are very nicely done. Using your own hands to actually press virtual buttons is cool and intuitive.
But the fact that you have to control the flightstick and collective/throttle in this virtual way as well doesn't feel natural at all. You grab something virtual in real thin air and you're supposed to be able to give accurate input to control the aircraft.
But you have no way to arrest movement of your arm and you also don't feel anything pushing back into your hand due to the forces acting on the control stick. It makes controlling the VTOL kind of a wobbly experience IMO.
At least you can 'lock' your hands so they stay on the controls, but I feel proper joystick support would greatly benefit the enjoyment of VTOL VR. Controlling the VTOL is much more difficult than it has to be with the current control set.
So, add joystick support and keep the fully interactive cockpit for anything else and I think this is a great experience!

Jarhead0331

How much time have you logged?

I feel totally opposite and I would actually discourage the developer from adding traditional stick and throttle peripheral control.

I suspect a major difference in user experience has to do with whether you are using the Vive or rift. The Vive control wands are heavy and feel like control sticks...the touch controllers, on the other hand...not so much.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

I've put in about 5 hrs now.

Interesting point about the size/weight difference of the controllers.
Still, why do you think it would be a bad option to have? More options to configure a way that is comfortable to play is better, no?

I hope to play more after the weekend.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on September 13, 2017, 09:23:18 AM
I've put in about 5 hrs now.

Interesting point about the size/weight difference of the controllers.
Still, why do you think it would be a bad option to have? More options to configure a way that is comfortable to play is better, no?

I hope to play more after the weekend.

Traditionally, yes, I agree with your logic. However, this game is being developed by a single guy and he has a lot of work ahead of him to build this game out of alpha and through to completion. The game is unique in that it is a quasi-fully featured flight sim that is playable entirely within a VR environment. Adding the options to use traditional peripherals may be useful at some point down the road. But for now, I'd like to see the developer focusing on and honing his true vision, which I think has the potential to revolutionize how complex sims are implemented within a VR environment.

By the way, new update was released yesterday adding a new helmet with advanced targeting features, night flying environments and night vision.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Nice! Definately fly more next week!
Will update my findings

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 08, 2017, 10:15:47 AM
Easily the most innovative and immersive flight simulating experience I have ever had. This game is simply fantastic and it is only in EA. I have an interview with the developer in the works. I also have a free code to give away if anyone with VR is interested...Yskonym, I'm looking at you. Would love a real pilot's opinions on this. Perhaps we can do a follow up interview with your impressions as a pilot?

Shouldn't it be doing a vertical take-off and landing on a carrier?

mirth

Quote from: jomni on September 13, 2017, 06:11:31 PM

Most VTOL aircraft can only do a true vertical take-off with a minimal load. Once you add ordnance, external fuel, etc, they need at least a short rolling take-off.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on September 13, 2017, 06:11:31 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 08, 2017, 10:15:47 AM

It does both.

The more traditional carrier landings are implemented because there is a standard fighter that does not have VTOL capability in the works, as well.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

^ That game experience looks freaking awesome.

When I was talking about VR for the likes of games like DCS, where you don't have to take off the headset to activate keys or look at controller buttons and therefore not breaking the VR world, this was exactly what I was thinking of.

O0
Alba gu' brath

jomni

Yes. this beats memorizing keys. I prefer clickable cockpits and use of muscle memory.