Main Menu

RIP Rollie Massimino

Started by bayonetbrant, August 30, 2017, 08:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20509434/coaching-legend-rollie-massimino-dies-82

QuoteRollie Massimino, who won more than 800 college basketball games and coached Villanova to an improbable national title in 1985, has died at the age of 82.

Massimino had been battling lung cancer. He died at his home in Florida.

He was best-known for leading an eighth-seeded Villanova team to a title with a 66-64 victory against No. 1 seed Georgetown and Patrick Ewing in the 1985 championship game. Massimino coached Villanova for 19 seasons and compiled a 355-241 record before leaving for UNLV in 1992.

"He's like a father to me," said Ed Pinckney, who starred on Villanova's championship team. "We talked about life, not basketball. I still talked to him all the time. My youngest son, Austin, played for him at Northwood."

Ewing, now the Hoyas' head coach, said in a statement, "The Georgetown family is deeply saddened by the news of the passing of Rollie Massimino."

"Coach Massimino recruited me to Villanova in 1981 and we always bonded over our Boston ties. Even though his 1985 team beat us, I have always had nothing but great respect and admiration for him. Our thoughts are with his family at this sad time," Ewing said.

Massimino spent two seasons at UNLV (1992-93 and 1993-94) and also was the head coach at Cleveland State for seven seasons, from 1996 to 2003. He continued to coach through this past season at NAIA Keiser University in West Palm Beach, Florida, despite battling health issues. He was the coach at Keiser, which recently changed its name from Northwood, since 2006. Keiser went 23-9 this past season.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

airboy

I remember that game really well.  Villanova had a player who had lost a thumb who had an artificial, strap on thumb.  He was one of the great coaches.