College Hoops is in BIG trouble!

Started by MetalDog, September 26, 2017, 09:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

The FBI just brought indictments down on four assistant coaches, one each at USC, Oklahoma State, Auburn, and Arizona.  Adidas has been funneling bribe money to recruits in order to get them to sign with Adidas once the player turns pro.  The schools are implicated as complicit and knowledgeable of said activity.  This thing is going to blow up sky high.  And I hope it's the nudge to take down college football, too.  Clean all this mess up at the same time and start over.  Like hitting a re-set button.  The article contains some video explaining what's known at this time and is informative.

https://sports.yahoo.com/fbi-brings-armageddon-college-basketball-just-tip-iceberg-184524346.html
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on September 26, 2017, 09:13:22 PMAnd I hope it's the nudge to take down college football, too.

In college football, when you're recruiting a kid, he's one face in 100, and you never see his face b/c he's in a helmet.  You're also dealing with high school coaches for access to the kids, and the families.

In college basketball, the kids are far more noticeable - no helmets - and arguably more known b/c of how quickly they jump from high school to college to pros.  The shoe deals are more important for them b/c of how tightly the shoe biz is tied to the hoops biz.
And most importantly, the recruiting is funneled through AAU coaches with virtually no accountability to a school board or other oversight the way high school coaches have.  And that's where the money gets sleazy a whole lot easier than in football.

Honestly, if you want to take football down, go after the bowl system.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

And all those kids in football need money, too.  Alabama, Ohio State, USC, et al., aren't football powerhouses solely through, 'tradition.'
Boosters funnel the money from above to the kids below.  And there are private high schools that accumulate talent and funnel it towards certain universities.  That's not through any altruism on their part.  The whole rotten, stinking, 'amateur,' system needs to come down and be
restarted.  Pay the kids that play the money sports.  Do not require enrollment in the school to be a requirement of employment by the college team.  Keep the affiliation with the colleges.  Let the team still be known as the Crimson Tide.  Just don't tell me they're amateurs.

airboy

Auburn immediately suspended Chuck Person without pay when this hit.

MetalDog

Marty Ward

Wow. If this is true, and more widespread than the 4 coaches already named, a lot of big name programs may be going down.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

mirth

Quote from: Marty Ward on September 27, 2017, 08:17:28 AM
Wow. If this is true, and more widespread than the 4 coaches already named, a lot of big name programs may be going down.

Yeah, it sounds pretty damn big.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

"If you yourself engaged in these activities, I'd encourage you to call us," said Kim, the Acting U.S. Attorney. "I think it's better than us calling you."
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

I can't see any way that Pitino survives again, but he's survived 2 other crises that I thought would've doomed him.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Oh, my. Corruption in college sports?!? Why, the very thought!

bayonetbrant

Louisville is cleaning house
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20834710/louisville-head-coach-rick-pitino-athletic-director-tom-jurich-out

Pitino and the AD (Jurich) are both out.
It's pretty bad when Bobby Petrino is the most ethical member of your major sports staff.

MetalDog

They must not have co-eds in volleyball shorts anywhere on campus.

airboy

Auburn is saying that Chuck Person acted in isolation.  But they also hired an independent law firm to investigate.

Sadly, this is a much smaller scandal than the one that hit the Women's Softball team.  That was just slimy.

Marty Ward

This is just from Adidas. Wait until Nike gets pulled in to this.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

bayonetbrant

they already are.  apparently there was a raid on the offices of one of their youth basketball leagues as a part of all of this, but no indictments yet