Steel Division 2 Brings Single Player Strategic map campaign similar to totalwar

Started by Destraex, August 25, 2018, 04:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Another few SD2 DLCs coming.
One is the Hungarians fighting the Romanians after the Romanians changed to the allied side or as they did it. It's called Blood Feud in Transylvania and seems to have a strategic campaign map. A new tactical map which looks pretty lush as well.

Another is the siege of Dunkirk which focuses on the late war siege with Czech troops being centre stage among other allied units and a Jagdpanther

I have every DLC for SD2 that has come out. Now with WARNO on the way I am sure I will get these eventually but not sure if I will get them on release.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/919640/view/3294970615033241189
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Not a huge fan of these dlcs that focus on the smaller nations like the Czechs and Hungarians. I'm a completionist and will get them eventually, but I wish they would focus their time and energy on something else, like Fall Weiss, or something.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

While I would certainly prefer Fall Weiss or something early-war like that, I appreciate them taking the time to fill out very niche battles that aren't usually gamed. Especially when doing so allows them to create new art and stats for kit to use in skirmishes or mp.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

I also don't mind the focus on niche or little known parts of ww2.
Eugen unfortunately have a policy with their games of not expanding beyond the original year and scope of games they make at the moment.
They have been fairly careful to keep any expansion DLC to the Bagration timeframe.
Part of the reason for this is that they say that especially when it comes to maps and textures that the game would explode in size. That is why they will not bring the SD44 maps over to SD2.
THe Elephant in the room of course is that this also correlates to the company not blowing all of it's possible content in one shot.

If we see another ww2 game from them it might be Fall Weiss, but that will not be for a very long time I would say. They are a small team and one that has seen their fair share of staffing issues in recent years. By that I mean I don't see them capable of running more than one project at a time while having a smaller team maintaining their current game. With WARNO on the rise and SD2 being maintained I think that WARNO will be the full teams focus for some time. In two or three years time we may see another game announced. If it is Fall Weiss that would be good, but it will be a full price ticket item with little room for DLC unit expansion given the early year it will be set in. Also consider the limitations in unit variety. Personally I would love a game like that.

What I wish is that they would make their games like combat mission. Keep upgrading the engine for a price and plug them all into each other so the multiplayer community does not suffer.

Geezer

The base game is on sale for $9.99 on Steam.  Seems like a good deal to me unless you guys think otherwise.  I didn't read all 21 pages of this thread.   :embarrassed:
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Geezer on August 30, 2023, 10:42:34 AMThe base game is on sale for $9.99 on Steam.  Seems like a good deal to me unless you guys think otherwise.  I didn't read all 21 pages of this thread.   :embarrassed:

No brainer.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Geezer

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

SirAndrewD

I would very highly reccomend that anyone getting Steel Division 2 look at also getting the DLC required for the Red Storm '44 Mod while on sale as well. 

I generally was meh on Steel Division until I installed Red Storm, and afterwards it's become one of my favorites in its genre. 

It makes it a much different game, more realistic and in my opinion better game. 

Although be warned the latest DLC broke Red Storm '44 and it will take some time to update due to its complexity.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Hm, will need to look into Steel Fury 2 then!

Though I don't think that's Steel Division 2...? (Update: fixed above.)

Relatedly, I caught up on SD2's DLC during the Steam strategy sale this week.

I think I've played maybe 2 hours of SD2 total, but y'know, it's the principle of the thing.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 30, 2023, 01:55:19 PMHm, will need to look into Steel Fury 2 then!

Though I don't think that's Steel Division 2...?

Relatedly, I caught up on SD2's DLC during the Steam strategy sale this week.

I think I've played maybe 2 hours of SD2 total, but y'know, it's the principle of the thing.

I meant Steel Division. 

I have almost as many brain farts as real ones since I exist in a constant state of mild hangover.

Steel Fury is another game of course.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Destraex

I need to go back and have a look at SD2 now the new trait system has been introduced. Just a tad hard though without any new maps. I really wish their was a random map generator.

Geezer

Picked up the base game which should keep me occupied for a while.  Are there any "must have" DLC's while they are on sale?  Thanks.