Steel Division 2 Brings Single Player Strategic map campaign similar to totalwar

Started by Destraex, August 25, 2018, 04:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I, like Star, can hear my loins moistening. But I can tell even now that this game will be beyond my mental capability. Even the older Eugen games were far beyond me. What to do...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

They did me too Gus, but I've found SD44 is the easiest to get into. Really looking forward to the strat layer in the new one.

Skoop

+ 1 to added strat layer campaign.  I was hoping they would add the strat layer to SD44, possibly as DLC.  A whole new game on the eastern front.....I take it, even better.

Gusington

You were intimidated Bart?

The Eastern Front is one of my main interests so...this looks like the one for me to take the plunge.

Is there a release date?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Quote from: Gusington on August 30, 2018, 10:50:19 AM

The Eastern Front is one of my main interests so...this looks like the one for me to take the plunge.

Is there a release date?

Yes I was. I had bought Wargame: AirLand Battle previously and just could not get a handle on how to play well at all.
SD44 was much easier for me mainly for 2 reasons.

1. Bullet time speed. Really great learaning tool to play at that speed and see what's going on with your units in different places on the map. Games take forever to play that way but after a couple at that speed you can move up in speeds. I still mostly play at slow and smome normal speed... thoguh I still drop to bullet time whne I can bring new units on tot he map.

2. I know WWII combat units in a much greater depth thatn I do modern stuff so I know how to use the units better in the game. Also infantry seems to have more staying power in WWII than modern.

Gusington

Thanks Bart...you posted several similarities to my preferences, including more knowledge/interest in WWII era units. Definitely getting this, for my love of the Eastern Front.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

I think perhaps this might be the game to finally topple the old game, close combat. E just need to know that supply and fuel etc are modelled on the campaign map.

Another article. This one talks about the campaign a little more.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3301468/gaming/steel-division-ii-preview.html
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

jomni

Quote from: Barthheart on August 30, 2018, 10:59:32 AM

Is there a release date?

Yes I was. I had bought Wargame: AirLand Battle previously and just could not get a handle on how to play well at all.

1. Bullet time speed. Really great learaning tool to play at that speed and see what's going on with your units in different places on the map. Games take forever to play that way but after a couple at that speed you can move up in speeds. I still mostly play at slow and smome normal speed... thoguh I still drop to bullet time whne I can bring new units on tot he map.

2. I know WWII combat units in a much greater depth thatn I do modern stuff so I know how to use the units better in the game. Also infantry seems to have more staying power in WWII than modern.

I managed to win the Red Dragon strat campaign but had difficulty with ALB (story campaign).  Maybe that's the key to my enjoyment.

HoodedHorseJoe

A little late to the party, but just an FYI regarding RUSE...

From what I remember, the license Ubisoft had to use various WW2 hardware and guns in the game expired and they didn't want to renew it, so RUSE had to be withdrawn from sale on Steam.

Has anyone who owns it still tried downloading it to play? I haven't tried so not sure if you can still play it, but you definitely can't buy it anymore unless it's second hand/old retail stock.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Pete Dero

Quote from: WargamerJoe on August 31, 2018, 08:41:46 AM
A little late to the party, but just an FYI regarding RUSE...

From what I remember, the license Ubisoft had to use various WW2 hardware and guns in the game expired and they didn't want to renew it, so RUSE had to be withdrawn from sale on Steam.

Has anyone who owns it still tried downloading it to play? I haven't tried so not sure if you can still play it, but you definitely can't buy it anymore unless it's second hand/old retail stock.

I have it installed and it still plays for me. (didn't try removing and downloading it again)  (could be I installed a 'hack' so it didn't try connecting to uplay because this gave me server issues and I only do singleplayer)

You can still buy it on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Ubisoft-40522R-U-S-E-3-R-U-S-E-Download/dp/B004FV5CDK?th=1) (DRM = steam)

Found this in the Amazon Q & A :

Question: can you still download the game since steam removed it?

Answer: Yes, as soon as you enter the code it will appear in your library and you will be able to download it.

By Trent Klabough on May 1, 2018

glen55

Quote from: Barthheart on August 30, 2018, 10:59:32 AM

Is there a release date?

Sadly, it looks like bullet time speed has been done away with.

I played a bunch of it when it was not but haven't played in several months so I booted it back up to re-familiarize myself. Now there's an "active pause" setting (which I couldn't distinguish from actual pause, i.e., I didn't notice time advancing at all) and the next setting is "very slow" which is significantly faster than the old bullet time.

I loved bullet time, too, but between very slow and the ability to give orders while paused, its absence isn't a game-killer. Oddly, I was unable to find any announcement about having gotten rid of it.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barthheart

Really? Hmmm... I hadn't noticed that last time I played a couple of weeks ago... still active pause is good too. lets you have time to move around and react to what's going on in the game.
I always thought that they would never make an "active Pause" because they said it screwed up the AI somehow....

JasonPratt

Maybe someone pointed out that if they could bullet-time down to 1:30 while still keeping the AI routines going, they could bullet-time down to 1:3000 -- which would only advance one second of game-time every fifty minutes of real time?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!