Main Menu

Exercise Habits

Started by Bison, July 31, 2012, 01:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

I know there are other guys here who exercise.  Just curious about what other folks are doing to stay in shape and get in a regular workout.

I really, really enjoy Crossfit.  Unfortunately I've been travelling a lot so the lack of access to weights and pull up and dip bars can really disrupt a crossfit schedule.  I've got a medicine ball and kettle bell that I've be travelling with to do some of the exercises.

Just started up with TRX recently.  Very travel friendly work out regiment.  Its deceptive in just how much it works you out.

And of course I'll throw in a run and jump rope for some cardio.

Bison

Wow?  Am I the only one who exercises around this joint?

bayonetbrant

I've got my weekly soccer night that I play, and I'm getting more regular about throwing my daughter in the stroller for a quick walk when I get home from work. 
I ought to do more, tho. 
Now that I've got the garage cleared to where I can get in there in the mornings, I might make something out of my morning workouts.  Plus, the garage has a nice indoor/outdoor carpet on it, so it's not too uncomfortable to work out in.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

but to answer your question from above:  probably! ;D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jack Nastyface

FWIW...I used to fence twice a week, but I was side-lined about 2 years ago with a hip/lower back injury.
In order to regain some of strength and flexibility, I now do Bikram - or "hot" - yoga.  It doesn't give me the cardio that I need, but it is great for core strength and flexibility...which are the two physical characteristics I miss most from my youth.  I don't particulary like working out in the gym (weights, machines, etc)..partially because I have never been able to build "bulk" muscle nor do I have an interest in doing so...but I really do need to do something for cardio.  I went for a 10k rollerblade the other day and going up a gentle hill just about kicked my a$$.
Admittedly, much of my weekly workout comes from yard-work, gardening, etc...
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

DoctorQuest

At 50+ my biggest concern is keeping th ol' ticker in good shape so I do some serious cardio three times a week (mainly treadmill but I'll switch it out for other cardio machines from time to time.) I also try to do some upper body work on the weight machines but I have to be careful due to hernia surgery a while back.

My wife and I like to walk but I need the treadmill for a good, intense walking workout.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Centurion40

I used to go to the gym (not that I am anywhere near to being in shape) 1 to 3 times per week, but my recent health issues have interrupted that.

When I did go it was treadmill and the circuit.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Bison

Yup cardio is very important.  My folks got a pretty nice stationary bike with a good wide seat and heart monitor for not too much in order to get a good cardio workout in every other day.

TheCommandTent

I used to play soccer growing up and that kept me in shape.  After I broke my foot in a college game I have exercised much less.  I can't stand going to a gym so I don't do that.  I occasionally ride my bike or go hiking but nothing that will get me in good shape.  The only thing I do consistently are some pushups and situps in the morning just to get the blood flowing.

I am not in bad shape but at my last physical the doc said I could use to lose 15 pounds.

When they threaten to take away my bacon I might become motivated to workout :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

I have been using an ancient NordicTrak for the last 12 years 5-6 times a week, 45 minutes a day. Also do crunches and some free weights to keep the gut and man boobs in check. 2-3 times a week I hike with my dog ~ 6 miles per hike. My ideal weight is 150 or under and I have been hovering around 150 for a while. I would love to lose 5-10 pounds.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Bison on July 31, 2012, 12:10:57 PM

I call it work.   ;D

I'm curious about that whole TRX setup, though. It's good?

MetalDog

I'm outside five days a week.  I circle peoples houses three times, sweeping the eaves, checking the foundation and pulling 300' of hose around the base perimeter applying chemical.  No serious cardio, but constantly moving.  I took a step counter with me one day and read eleven miles.  I'd say that's average.  And I could stand to lose twenty pounds.  The doctor said forty.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Con

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on July 31, 2012, 01:00:28 PM
FWIW...I used to fence twice a week, but I was side-lined about 2 years ago with a hip/lower back injury.
In order to regain some of strength and flexibility,

Funny I was just talking about fencing with some friends.  I used to fence at competition level and won quite a few tournaments etc.  I was an epee man myself.  I slowly gave it up a about a decade ago but I was thinking of taking it up again, though I am concerned about how stiff I am in the joints etc.

Other than that the dog gets a three mile walk every morning in the woods which includes scrambling on trails.  I used to do a three mile run three times a week but a heel spur put stop to that.  Now the doc wants me to lose 15-20lbs to get back to my ideal weight again so I am thinking of slowly seeing if I can get back into running as well.  (It seems when you hit 40's that everything to do with exercise is done slowly)

Only problem is having new 8 month old twins in the house the first thing that goes is any time to do any exercise.  Though they are keeping me active chasing them since they just learned to crawl!

Con

Bison

Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 31, 2012, 10:40:19 PM
Quote from: Bison on July 31, 2012, 12:10:57 PM

I call it work.   ;D

I'm curious about that whole TRX setup, though. It's good?

Yes it is.  And there are a number of workouts that you can download the video for a pretty reasonable price.  Those work out add more strength, flexibility and such to the routine.  Its really good for those who have limited space, time or money for a bunch of different types of workout equipment.

Bison

It maybe hard to do for time and location but if running is too hard on the old joints than swimming is a fantastic alterative.  I know what they say my max ideal weight is so I just try to stay 10 pounds below and call it a day.