2019 Running Football Thread

Started by jamus34, August 09, 2019, 10:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Well....

Man, I think Bo Nix is a great kid.  But heck, he was not ready tonight.  Talented QB, really, just wasn't put in a place to succeed.

Auburn also really needs an "Auburn back" to run the ball.  Love Boobie Whitlow, but he's not Kerryon, Caddy, Ronnie, Tre, Rudi or any of the other traditional Running Back U back breaker RB's.

The loss doesn't break Auburn, they still control their own destiny. But I really really do wonder if Bo should've worn a redshirt.   This was a super hard game for him and he couldn't really put it together. 

Really should be able to win when your D forces so many turnovers and puts the offense in so many favorable situations. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

airboy

Unfortunately for Auburn, Whitlow woke up with a swollen knee on Sunday and had knee surgery this week.  He is out for the next four games minimum.

SirAndrewD

Well, WAR EAGLE!

What a game.  A disappointing season ended on a high note.  Can't even be sad about an Iron Bowl win.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

MetalDog

Just hope this doesn't get Malzahn an extension ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

SirAndrewD

Quote from: MetalDog on December 01, 2019, 12:46:21 AM
Just hope this doesn't get Malzahn an extension ;)

Yeah, that'd be unfortunate. 

Can't hate the win though.

airboy

That was an amazing game.

Why can't Saban recruit a consistent short kicker?  With all of the other talent he has that has always been a mystery to me.

On an even happier note, the Tarheels won six games, beat Dook, and qualified for a bowl after a miserable 2 win season last year.   :clap:

MetalDog

I was standing on the front porch, looking in at the tv when that poor kid lined up for the game tying field goal.  I thought to myself, "I wish it hadn't come down to this.  Saban has had so much trouble from kickers over the years."  I was not at all surprised when immediately afterward, he doinked the kick.  I say poor kid because the nature of the rivalry is such that I expect him to get death threats.  I pray truly it doesn't come down to it, but, I suspect it started right after the kick missed.

SirAndrewD

Yeah, I knew we had a chance when it came down to a kick. 

It's not that Saban can't recruit a good kicker, he won't.  He doesn't value the position. 

Perfect example are Auburn's last two kickers, Daniel and Anders Carlson.  The Carlson brothers were Alabama legacy recruits.  Their dad was decorated Tennis player for the Tide and their Mom was a recruiter for Bear Bryant. 

Their parents pulled strings for Daniel to go and meet Saban and talk about getting him a scholarship.  Saban flatly refused them, despite Carlson having very solid stats. 

Both brothers went to Auburn when Saban refused them.   

Keeps coming back to haunt him but Saban doesn't care about the position.

And you're right about the death threats worry.  I feel for the kid too. 

I actually haven't lost any friends as of today...that's a record post an Auburn win.

MetalDog

Congrats on keeping your friends!  I know how trying that can be sometimes :)

I can only imagine giving a scholarship to a kicker leaves a 5 star of any other position off the roster.  And Nick is pretty good at collecting talent.  And as embarrassing as it is to lose on kicks, I think 'Bama fans would hold out 5 National Championships as a pretty fair trade for a few wobbly kicks.  The fact that you crazy people NAME your rivals mistakes is just over the top!

SirAndrewD

That's been the problem with Saban and kickers, he generally only has one Scholarship and one walk on to give out, so if they miss they miss.  Like you say, they've done well without top flight kickers but as some better programs are catching up it might end up being an issue later for them. 

Bama's named a few of their notable Iron Bowls, like The Run in the Mud, Wrong Way Bo, The Kick. 

Auburn fans get a bit over the top with it I admit.   Our fans are also over the top storming the field.  I got it in 2013, but I didn't quite find it necessary or called for yesterday.  Bama doesn't lead the series all time enough, especially since 1980, to really go that nuts on a win.    Heck, Saban's only 10-8 vs Auburn and has never beat an Auburn team with more than 8 wins.  It's nice to enjoy the win but it goes too far sometimes. 

airboy

I agree about the fanatics who target players in Iron Bowl games.  It is sad.  I've also seen it for AU football players during disappointing seasons.  Some kids were unable to eat out in public due to abuse which is sad.  I never say anything to college athletes/performers that is not positive - except if they don't try (I've almost never seen it at Auburn - and the one baseball coach who had the issue was fired).

We love college sports.  I've had season men's & women's basketball, baseball (and I'm trying to get Softball) tickets for decades.  We go to conference tournaments and national championships.  But at the end of the day it is just a game and for almost all a brief spot in their lives.  I had more season tickets than any other faculty member in one of the largest Colleges at Auburn.

I read that Alabama has missed more field goals than any other FBS team since 2007.  Part of this is having a good enough offense to yield that many attempts.  And I also agree that Saban's formula has been a winner overall.  Still, the kicker seems to be a major chink the armor.

MetalDog

Bellichick just said to hit'em where their weak.  Just didn't figure it would be the kicker ;)

@SirAndrewD I should have been more clear when I said you guys are crazy about naming games here.  I meant the whole state.  College football anywhere really.  I'm not a CFB fan in a CFB state.  So it makes me smile when I see how the rivalry/hatred plays out.  As much as I hated it for 'Bama in 2013, "You got a second," was pretty funny.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: MetalDog on December 02, 2019, 08:19:28 PM
Bellichick just said to hit'em where their weak.  Just didn't figure it would be the kicker ;)

@SirAndrewD I should have been more clear when I said you guys are crazy about naming games here.  I meant the whole state.  College football anywhere really.  I'm not a CFB fan in a CFB state.  So it makes me smile when I see how the rivalry/hatred plays out.  As much as I hated it for 'Bama in 2013, "You got a second," was pretty funny.

Gotcha.  You'll forgive me on that one, I know a lot of Bama fans that claim they never name their Iron Bowls because winning against Auburn is "routine" "not worthy of note" and that Tennessee is their "real rival" anyway.  So I've had a few shots sent my way on that one. 

I think it's a bit crazy myself, for both sides, but it can be funny.  Apparently this one's starting to get called "Unfair in Jordan-Hare" due to Saban's comments on the postgame. 

For the record I'm an NFL fan first myself.  I cheer for Auburn because I'm an alum, and it does get intense when we do well.  Outside of that most of my interest in College is on individual players and the draft.

solops

Quote from: Martok on September 13, 2019, 12:25:51 AM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 12, 2019, 11:20:44 PM
Thursday night football is pretty subpar, especially in the early season with teams that have a lot of rust and made questionable preseason decisions with starters.  I honestly wish they'd do away with the Thursday night games overall.  They always seem to be low energy bore fests.
Agreed.  I'm totally okay with the traditional Thanksgiving games, but otherwise Thursdays should be left alone.
+1
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

JasonPratt

Recently discovered this channel. Totally safe for work (so far as I've seen).

"Yeah, it's way too unfair to have a deep threat like a punt at wide receiver." "Now just wait one second--!" "Wait: ONE second?" "...."
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!