Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on May 06, 2020, 03:22:39 PM
So you bought the game JH?

Of course I bought it. You're not surprised, are you?  :2funny:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MOS:96B2P

Soren Johnson was the lead designer on Civilization IV which is my favorite of the Civ. titles.  My kids and I still play Civ IV.  I think it is a good sign that Johnson and some others from the Civ IV development team are creating Old World. 

I've been watching u-tube videos of Old World and reading posts about it.  It has internal factions within your Civ.  There is a pretty cool movement system.  Unused orders (movement points) are sold for cash on the market etc. 

Below are some interesting quotes from players who have the EA version: 

Events, clans and characters. My leader got sick and died within 20 years so my daughter assume the throne at 17. My wifes clan is trying to drive a division between my granddaughter and my original clan, and just generally being a pain in the ass. So I'm already starting to care (ok loath the clan).

You can add generals from among your characters to command a unit, which confers bonuses (e.g. my Themistocles have an attack bonus to attacking across a river).

You can outright buy/sell your base resources is also a welcome addition, and works like in Offworld (buying more will increase the cost, selling too much will make it eventually worthless).

XP is used to buy unit ability promotions. 100 XP for the first, 200 XP for the 2nd etc. You can substitute training points for missing XP toward the next upgrade (it shows the cost in training points on the promotion list. gain 10 xp in a fight and the promotion training cost will be 10 less for example). 

One combat unit per tile, like Civ 5.

Every character can gain xp and levels. The levels can boost existing traits, add a new trait, or a skill. I just had an Archer general level up and I chose Marksman for +1 Range.

You can treat Rivers like free roads. 

Your Civ ruler is able to lead all units as a general, regardless of family.

Leaders get retired from field service at age 60 and can no longer be assigned as a general.

I'll probably be getting it.  Just a matter of when. 

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on May 07, 2020, 10:00:45 AM
Hmm your muesli argument is strong.

Most things connected to my muesli are strong...... :hide:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

:-" I did not just read the above.

MOS called out a cool-sounding feature:

It has internal factions within your Civ.

Don't make me install Epic!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Quote from: Gusington on May 07, 2020, 11:37:06 AM
:-" I did not just read the above.

MOS called out a cool-sounding feature:

It has internal factions within your Civ.

Don't make me install Epic!

It's worth it. This was my first Epic purchase.
Game is deep and interesting. Family and internal factions give it a CKII-light vibe.

DO IT!

al_infierno

You conniving bastards.  How did I go from "eh" to "bought in early access and redownloading the Epic launcher" in less than 72 hours??   #:-) 
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

devoncop

Quote from: al_infierno on May 07, 2020, 01:18:01 PM
You conniving bastards.  How did I go from "eh" to "bought in early access and redownloading the Epic launcher" in less than 72 hours??   #:-)

Sadly inevitable... :)
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

Dammit. Bart I finally caved and got Civ VI, which I really like but it kicks my ass each time.

I just hate the Epic operates...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Quote from: Gusington on May 07, 2020, 01:36:58 PM
Dammit. Bart I finally caved and got Civ VI, which I really like but it kicks my ass each time.

I just hate the Epic operates...

:)
Well then Old World will kick yer ass too. I've got 16 hours in already and haven't won yet... not even been in first place yet...

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Can you give custom names to military units?

Barthheart

Quote from: MOS:96B2P on May 07, 2020, 03:10:47 PM

Hmmm... haven't tried that. You can rename all the members in you family...

Quote from: Barthheart on May 07, 2020, 03:13:38 PM
Quote from: MOS:96B2P on May 07, 2020, 03:10:47 PM

Hmmm... haven't tried that. You can rename all the members in you family...

That's cool.  Of course you might not want to get attached to family members in this game.  It sounds like you might have to "off" one every once in a while ........  ;D

Tpek

Queeg

A couple of other interesting game mechanics: 

When you found a city, you do it, not just as a civilization, but as one of four families of that civilization.  Each family has different strengths/weaknesses that influence that city and any others founded by that family.  When you found a new city, you can choose to found it with the same family or a different one, with different strengths/weaknesses.  A different take on tall vs. wide.

Also, you can't build a city just anywhere as in Civ.  There are city sites on the map, and you have to connect them to one of your cities before you can settle them.  Connections can be by road or river.  Also, some families have "always connected" as one of their buffs.  It's more limiting than Civ in some ways, but I'm liking it so far.  Makes city planning less about just filling holes in the map -- and limits the aggravation in the Civ games where the AI settles a tiny city right in the middle of your empire.  And I really like the fact that rivers have a real purpose.   

I'm usually leery of early access games, but this one is solid.