FarCray6 is co... wait, sorry, FarCRY6, but that spec is probably correct. :D

Started by JasonPratt, July 16, 2020, 05:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Title sequence has been revealed.

And probably the opening cinematic (more or less).

The model of Cray you'll need as minimum specs may now be debated. ;)

Meanwhile, looks like the writers are going with yet another multi-layered psychological supervillain as per their standard since at least FC3. Whether this will connect with the plot of FC5 (and its sequel DLC) remains to be seen.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

Despite the weakness of the theme/setting, FarCry 5 was probably the least annoying of the modern FC games.  I was really glad that they did away with the skinning requirements to unlock weapon slots.  In general it felt a lot more sandboxy and less railroady, and more true to the spirit of the (good parts of the) first game.

I really hope they continue in that direction with this game.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

hellfish6

I'm moderately disappointed in myself that I like the Far Cry, Ass Creed and Ghost Recon series so much. I mean, they're all basically the same game, but I really like the open worlds (especially ancient Egypt and Bolivia) and they're just fun.

jamus34

Quote from: hellfish6 on July 17, 2020, 06:14:42 AM
I'm moderately disappointed in myself that I like the Far Cry, Ass Creed and Ghost Recon series so much. I mean, they're all basically the same game, but I really like the open worlds (especially ancient Egypt and Bolivia) and they're just fun.

Well each series was unique originally. At least AssCreed and Ghost Recon was, Far Cry felt like it was trying to be a Half Life clone.

As this point, gameplay wise I cannot tell the difference between AssCreed and Far Cry. But I also feel that while the stories are cut and paste the gameplay is in a much better place.
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

I have never played Far Cry, but love me some AssCreed. Which is the best Far Cry game? #5 was just on sale at Steam for like 9 dollah.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

I've only ever played Far Cry 3 and I loved it.  That was a good game the villain was so disturbed. 

I never did continue the series though because I read that Far Cry 5 was replete with anti Western Cultural themes.  (i.e. white people bad kill them all)

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

Eek really?  >:(

Far Cry 3 on sale for 2.99 on Steam right now, and Far Cry Primal for 5.99...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Yeah.  Just googled this article https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/15/16778928/far-cry-5-politics-religion

It's not the one I read last year but it's pretty much telling the same message. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

al_infierno

I think that whole thing with FarCry 5 was mostly just marketers having a field day trying to appeal to the PC crowd.  The in-game story is rather toothless and tries very hard not to be offensive to anybody.  It's just a generic pseudo-religious cult of crazies that you're fighting with no particularly conservative or liberal traits to define them.

But yeah, the way they marketed the game was rather obnoxious.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

Hmm that Polygon link won't work for me. Conspiracy?

So other than obnoxious marketing (is there any other kind?) Far Cry 5 is solid?

Anyone play Far Cry: Primal? That looks pretty unique.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

From every thorough commentary I've read or heard, FC5 involves conservative white people (more or less) as the good guys against a pseudo-conservative cult. For which the game took flak! -- because the conservative freedom gun-owners were (more or less) the heroes that you're helping out (as a verrry blank-slate federal agent, who can be either male or female).

I haven't played it, however, so I can't give any direct testimony on the plot or gameplay. From descriptions (I know how the game ends), it's much more downbeat than any prior games back to FC1 (which was by a different design and writing team); and the gameplay sounded very refined. Avoid the DLC trilogy; but the New Dawn sequel is (reportedly) legit and worth bothering with -- I've even heard that you need it for the full FC5 story and experience.

Primal I haven't played yet (I picked up that and its trilogy dlc which are reportedly good, along with FC5+ND during this sale). But from what I've read the game has overall the best ending to its story since FC1.

What I can report from personal experience, having played the games to completion:

1.) I regard FC4 to be the best package as far as I've played. It has the largest and best-looking map; it has the most varied gameplay and antagonists; it has the best overall villain (his villain team is nothing much to write about except for the woman who runs the gladiator ring); the main character isn't a blatant asshole unlike 3 (though he's less interesting personally as a result, so ymmv); the DLC (alternate canon) missions are great. If you only buy one, go for this package.

2.) FC3 is still pretty polished, though not as much as FC4 naturally. Things will feel pretty samey as far as gameplay, but with a handful of fewer game mechanics (of some importance -- the little grasshopper helicopters in FC4 are godly, for example). The first 'main' villain is not really the main villain and is killed off for real halfway through the game, so the second half of the map (which doesn't take quite as long to beat) seems VERY anti-climactic. The overall story is more daring than FC4, and so more interesting in that regard, but you have to accept that you're playing a dippy rich cretin-boy with worthless friends who drop themselves into this nightmare scenario out of sheer ignorance and arrogance. So my sympathy level for the main character and the people he's trying to rescue was pretty dang low -- but dramatically I have to admit he's more interesting (technically) including in his character development, which has some direct callouts to Heart of Darkness in the plot (though not nearly so much as SpecOps: the Line.) If there were any alternate DLC missions, I don't recall them. Terrain is tropical mountain and lowlands and swamps of course; FC4 looks much nicer, surrounded by the Himalayas.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Addendum: I forgot that the main DLC for FC3 is BLOOD DRAGON! Which is hilariously amazing. Unsure if that can be played separately without buying FC3, but it's worth full price for sure.

jamus34

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 17, 2020, 01:42:10 PM
Addendum: I forgot that the main DLC for FC3 is BLOOD DRAGON! Which is hilariously amazing. Unsure if that can be played separately without buying FC3, but it's worth full price for sure.

It's a stand alone.
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Far Cry 3 and 5 are excellent. 

Far Cry 2 is an interesting take on the style of game they perfected in 3. 

I would say don't bother with Far Cry 4, it had the weakest villain and a story and setting that never resonated with me.

I want to be excited about 6, but 3-5 all played in such a similar way.   It's fun, and the open world concept and approach is cool.  But I really want 6 to be something more than "Lead a revolt against a dictator in an exotic locale".   They've done that four times in a row now, I'm ready for something a bit different.  We'll see. 

I am excited to see Giancarlo Esposito though.  He's always a good bad guy.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback