Main Menu

College Football 2020

Started by airboy, July 31, 2020, 09:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

We busted out laughing when she threw the two sacks of money at him, and the Auburn guy snuck in without a word and took them.

The "don't forget your shoe" at the end was expected - but classic.

SirAndrewD

Yeah, Cristobal signs an an extension with Oregon.

Auburn is INEPT.  Utterly, not arguably inept.

This is so pathetic I am going to drink in mid week.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

airboy

Florida played their best game of the season in the SEC Championship.  It was much closer than I expected.

Sir Slash

Congratulations to University of Alabama the 2020 SEC Champs over the Gators in one hell-of-a football game.  :notworthy:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: airboy on December 16, 2020, 03:29:57 PM
The "don't forget your shoe" at the end was expected - but classic.

No spoilers, but...

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

FarAway Sooner

Both of those vids were burst-out-loud laughing.  SEC Shorts does some of the best sports-related content on YouTube these days, I think.  They bring just the right air of irreverence to the game and all the different conferences!

airboy

UNC lost a close (until the last 4:30) game to Texas A&M.  UNC's three All Americans (both running backs and a wide receiver) chose to "prepare for the NFL" along with their best defensive player.  UNC might have won the game if they had their stars playing.

I've grown to dislike non-BCS Bowl games pretty intensely because they are not the same teams that played during the regular season.

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  COVID-19 has made a hash of the whole season, and I think all of us fans need to express our appreciation for all the teams who held it together and worked hard to make it onto the field for 9 or 10 or 11 competitive games this season. 

It's literally been about the only piece of normalcy involving more than 6 people anywhere that I feel like I've retained this year.   I didn't anticipate we'd get more than 3 or 4 games played all season, and I've got to show my appreciation for the staff and players who did all the stuff they needed to so they could be healthy enough to play the games this year. 

I have a suspicion that most of players on most of the .500 teams who managed to play competitive games all year long worked as hard this season as most College Football Playoff teams do in a normal year.  I really appreciate what all of these guys did just to give us a college football season.

I'm getting really bothered by the rate at which opt-outs are ruining the college football post-season.  My Sooners got to stomp a mudhole in a deplete Florida program, and after the game, the Florida coach as much as said, "Well, they weren't really playing our Varsity squad anyways."  How is that good for the game?

Ah well, there's been so much money flowing into college football for a long time, I suspect the "business-ization" of the game was inevitable.

airboy

Players did their conditioning pretty much the same this year as in previous years (except possibly swimming).  At least the players with discipline who wanted to excel did.

The amount of practice time the College teams had this year has been severely depleted.  Football is obvious.  But in Basketball, Women's Soccer, etc.... the number of games dropped dramatically, the number of practices dropped substantially.  In team sports, you have to practice as a team (and play games) to improve.

Mostly, this has been done in a rational fashion.  But how basketball players sit on the "bench" with Covid is just stupid.  They practice together and play scrimmages together, but they cannot sit together because of the plague?

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, Notre Dame goes to hell.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

airboy

I loved it when they played "charades."

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: airboy on January 03, 2021, 05:40:02 PM
Players did their conditioning pretty much the same this year as in previous years (except possibly swimming).  At least the players with discipline who wanted to excel did.

I wasn't really talking about practice time or S&C time.  I was talking about the mental effort involved in all the testing, and quarantine requirements, and all the other stuff that most kids their age have been taking short-cuts on all school year.  To say nothing of how disruptive social distancing guidelines are to practice and film study habits, etc.

You look at episodes like the Browns losing their entire WR corps for a week, or the Broncos losing their entire QB room, and you realize that even grown-ass men paid millions of dollars to play a game often didn't have the self-discipline to keep masks on and sit 6 feet apart when watching film. 

The fact that enough of these college students did that to give us a largely full college football season speaks volumes to me of their dedication to their teammates, their fans, and the game.

airboy

The discipline that endurance sports athletes must have to compete in Power 5 sports is unbelievable.  Track, swimming and the like.  The number of hours they have to practice (basically conditioning) just to be competitive is amazing.  It was worse than a 40 hour a week job for those folks based on my many conversations over the decades with athletes in these sports who took my courses.

airboy

After the plague and the naysayers, I'm so happy we have gotten to the BCS.

Not super happy to see Alabama (sorry MetalDog) or Ohio State (really, a 6 win season?) but I'm delighted we had college football and a good first half of the BCS.

JasonPratt

I'm just glad an SEC team is playing for the championship. Again.  ^-^

Wish it could be the Vols, but we'd probably just get egocentric and spastic. Even in our best dynasty years, we were our own worst enemy.