Imperiums: Greek Wars (successor to Aggressors) (historical pun intended)

Started by JasonPratt, August 01, 2020, 11:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

There's no thread on this yet?? (If so, certainly merge or point, thx!)

So, lots of us liked Aggressors: Ancient Wars released two years ago now (aahhh the age it burrrnnns!), which had the fortune or misfortune of landing at the same time as two other Roman Republic titles: Paradox's Imperator, and another Matrix title Field of Glory: Empires. (The latter of which I'm still playing today, btw. I mean literally today, in multiplayer. And occasionally in sp.)

Aggy is of a Civ-hex design focused on the period of the rise of Rome. I had some problems with some of its design quirks, but generally I liked it, especially for its (Civ-typical) random map generator. That said, I only played 7 hours according to Steam. (That said, I've played much less of Imperator, so...)

Imperiums goes back to pick up the rise of the Greek states; which come to think of it is also the topic of the recent DLC for FoG:Emp. It includes a bunch of polish and improvements, and is getting good early Steam reviews since its release two days ago. Arguably the biggest upgrade is the new capability for multiplayer, both hot-seat local and remote. (And mixed!)

It lists on Steam for $30, but you can get a 20% discount if you already own Aggressors, and if you buy directly from the dev's site. (They aren't distributing through Matrix-litherine this time.) This is how I picked it up.

Steps:

1.) Install Aggressors (probably through Steam not Matrix directly, for reasons I'll mention in a minute. It's not on sale, btw, and also lists as $30.)
2.) Run Aggressors.
3.) On the main page, at the bottom, should be a new hyperlink tag for buying Imperiums at 20% off. Clicking that will open their website in your standard browser. (This is why I suspect it might not work from a Matrix direct download; I don't know that they're updating Aggressors anymore, or if they're allowing an update for advertising their developer jumping ship. ;) )
4.) The web page uses a Humble Bundle widget for selling the game at a discount, which will generate a Steam link at HB when you're done. You don't have to register at HB, but you'll have to give an email address for HB to send your activation link. You'll also have to decide whether you want to risk your credit card info or Paypal for the payment method. ;) (I went with Paypal and didn't see anything suspicious.)
5.) Once you complete the transaction, HB emails your activation link. Go to your email and find that email.
6.) Click on the activation link from within the email.
7.) This takes you to a HB where after a few seconds a button will generate for redeeming your Steam code.
8.) Click that button and get your Steam code. I recommend copy-pasting it somewhere, because I'm unsure if you can get back here later!

If you already know how to activate a product on Steam, just do that with this code. If not...

9.) Login to Steam, and click "add a game" in the bottom left corner.
10.) From the little menu that pops up, click the middle option "Activate a Product On Steam".
11.) Steam will give you another new window telling you what's happening. Click next; then I agree. Type or copy-paste the code into the next window. Make sure you didn't include any spaces. Click next.

That should activate your code in Steam, and give you some options for installing it now or just finishing.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

airboy

For whatever reason - matrix/slitherine did not distribute this one.

I loved Aggressors and wrote a very long review/strategy guide.  It is a very fun 4x combat oriented game.  The historical game was so tilted towards Rome that Rome would always win if you took that side.

I put it on my wishlist.  I'll probably get around to this one eventually.

uncajerf

Their previous game was called Aggressors: Ancient Rome. For various reasons the dev team decided to rename the successor 'Imperiums', and Greek Wars (GW) is their first title after going indy (also for various reasons).

GW has many new features, including a totally optional mythological layer; a new UI; improved terrain graphics; among others. I can give a few more specifics, if desired, but I invite you to check it out yourself! I can pretty much guarantee if you liked the award-winning Aggressors, you'll like Imperiums!

JRR

EDIT: From a post from the devs on Steam:

Generals and heroes (whole new layer affecting military and state aspects of the game)
   Common military campaigns - plan your conquest with other players directly on maps
   Ancient myths (whole new layer of gameplay)
   Quests for generals

Some others, which we also consider to substantially increase the fun for players:

Extended diplomacy - new treaties and diplomacy offers.
   Sages - spreading knowledge around and within your country.   
   Many new buildings, improvements, state decisions and objectives.
   New UI.
   Players appearing during the game.
   Territories.
   Corruption mechanics.
   New invention tree (locked technologies, conditions, acceleration of research).
   Independent cities able to defend themselves.
   New slavery mechanics

And on top of that, the game will have hot-seat, multiplayer, localization to several languages, new UI and terrain look.

The map is the most detailed map of Ancient Greece so far in strategy games, with 30 playable factions.

We really think that players will enjoy it.

Fetrik

I am only 10 hours into my first campaign but so far it has that just one more turn feel .
I bought Agressors in the recent steam sale but upgraded to  Imperiums after playing a few turns in a custom scenario. 
Very happy customer so far.

Anguille

I am playing it and am doing a let's play. I have worked on the french translation of the game. Very interesting setting and lots of improvements over Aggressors.

Jarhead0331

Are there any plans to incorporate the improvements into Aggressors via an update, patch or even dlc?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 10, 2020, 05:55:02 AM
Are there any plans to incorporate the improvements into Aggressors via an update, patch or even dlc?
I don't think that aggressors is going to be further improved. However, new scenarios/maps are going to be released for Imperiums. I am pretty sure that we will see a similar map of the mediterranean as in Aggressors fairly soon for Imperiums. I already worked on the translation for two new scenarios (not yet released) for Imperiums. Can't say which one yet.

al_infierno

Picked this up with the Aggressors discount (worth spending a few minutes to reinstall).  Haven't sunk too deeply into it (and I barely touched Aggressors), but it seems real nifty so far.  Really like the way combat is handled compared to similar games like Civ.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

From the hour I played, it basically feels like an upgraded and grognardier version of Civ 4 combat with emphasis on supply lines, morale, and terrain bonuses/maluses (using the right unit for the right situation).  Square grid movement with stackable units like Civ 4, but there are combat bonuses for subsequent attacks on the same target, so each "wave" of an attack gets a stronger bonus.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

^Hahaha

Do you work for the developer, Al? Because I'm closer to buying this now than I was five minutes ago.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Hey now that you mention it, where the hell's my royalty check!?!   :crazy2:

- MengJiao

MetalDog

Quote from: Gusington on August 10, 2020, 08:05:53 PM
^Hahaha

Do you work for the developer, Al? Because I'm closer to buying this now than I was five minutes ago.

My thoughts, too.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob