Imperiums: Greek Wars (successor to Aggressors) (historical pun intended)

Started by JasonPratt, August 01, 2020, 11:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: al_infierno on August 13, 2020, 02:39:16 PM
The main campaign starts at 359 BCE, not sure when it ends.  When you create a custom world, you can choose any start year from 1000 BCE to 500 AD, but I think this is just for flavor as there's a separate setting for starting level of development.

Persia is in the game in the form of the Achaemenid Empire, but the historical map is focused on Greece and a bit of western Anatolia, so the scope of what you can do with them isn't nearly the same as something like Field of Glory: Empires.

Sounds fantastic.  I'm firing this up in 900 BCE or so or something as soon as it downloads.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on April 21, 2021, 12:37:09 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on August 13, 2020, 02:39:16 PM
The main campaign starts at 359 BCE, not sure when it ends.  When you create a custom world, you can choose any start year from 1000 BCE to 500 AD, but I think this is just for flavor as there's a separate setting for starting level of development.

Persia is in the game in the form of the Achaemenid Empire, but the historical map is focused on Greece and a bit of western Anatolia, so the scope of what you can do with them isn't nearly the same as something like Field of Glory: Empires.

Sounds fantastic.  I'm firing this up in 900 BCE or so or something as soon as it downloads.

Made it back to 961 BCE with a pink boat to prove it.  And it looks like the Alexander DLC will cover things from Italy to the Persian Gulf.

But here is a more primitive world:

Anguille

KR777

Well, in my humble opinion I prefer RTS over TBS at any given moment. Prove me wrong! Please!
Full disclosure: I'm a Hegemony-addict  :peace: That's why for me:

Aggressors: Ancient Rome << Hegemony III: Clash of the Ancients

Imperium: Greek Wars << Hegemony Gold: Wars of Ancient Greece

What do you think? Anyone played both types of game and can compare?

Anguille

Quote from: KR777 on April 28, 2021, 03:58:33 AM
Well, in my humble opinion I prefer RTS over TBS at any given moment. Prove me wrong! Please!
Full disclosure: I'm a Hegemony-addict  :peace: That's why for me:

Aggressors: Ancient Rome << Hegemony III: Clash of the Ancients

Imperium: Greek Wars << Hegemony Gold: Wars of Ancient Greece

What do you think? Anyone played both types of game and can compare?
I have all these games and enjoy them. I do think they are very different though. Overall, TBS offers a more relaxed experience. Hegemony Gold main campaign is  very scripted which is not the case for Imperium where you can do pretty much whatever you want.

Still no news for the new DLC for Hegemony III?

KR777

Quote from: Anguille on April 28, 2021, 05:28:09 AM
I have all these games and enjoy them. I do think they are very different though. Overall, TBS offers a more relaxed experience. Hegemony Gold main campaign is  very scripted which is not the case for Imperium where you can do pretty much whatever you want.
Thanks, I guess I will have to look into this at some point, when I have reduced the backlog in my games library to a bearable level  :coolsmiley:

Still no news for the new DLC for Hegemony III?
They did post a small update recently on their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/LongbowGames

KR777

I have all these games and enjoy them. I do think they are very different though. Overall, TBS offers a more relaxed experience.
So I looked over the Imperiums manual. I alway enjoyed the early game in Civilization and my impression is that imperium is basically early game civilization set in Greece with some Age of Mythology mixed in. Would that be a truthful characterization of the game? In what repsect would it be different from Civ?

JasonPratt

Quote from: KR777 on April 29, 2021, 01:51:58 AM
So I looked over the Imperiums manual. I alway enjoyed the early game in Civilization and my impression is that imperium is basically early game civilization set in Greece with some Age of Mythology mixed in. Would that be a truthful characterization of the game? In what repsect would it be different from Civ?

From what I recall of playing Aggressors, this description is fairly accurate. There are a lot more period details than you'd get from an ancients/classics focused Civ match, but the gameplay mechanics can be very Civvy.

The one big major difference in gameplay mechanics that I can recall, is supply, which is ultra-important in this system (although I recall that this can be dialed back when setting up a game, too.)

You will also find that resource nodes are typically very large cities in themselves and need major ass-kicking to take over! But the game scale is a bit whack anyway, as a scouting party will have like 5000 troops.  ::) ::) ::) These two things hard-broke my immersion in the game, and I had trouble staying invested because I couldn't get a proper handle on the scale for which I was supposed to be planning. Eventually through sleight-of-mind I managed to pretend that I was looking at hit-points, which after all is how they're treated in the game anyway. (But a dynamic hit point system where the more damage a unit takes the proportionately weaker it is in combat, which is reasonable.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

^If that is accurate that sounds really good. I never played Age of Mythology.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 29, 2021, 10:09:20 AM

From what I recall of playing Aggressors, this description is fairly accurate. There are a lot more period details than you'd get from an ancients/classics focused Civ match, but the gameplay mechanics can be very Civvy.

The one big major difference in gameplay mechanics that I can recall, is supply, which is ultra-important in this system (although I recall that this can be dialed back when setting up a game, too.)

You will also find that resource nodes are typically very large cities in themselves and need major ass-kicking to take over! But the game scale is a bit whack anyway, as a scouting party will have like 5000 troops.  ::) ::) ::) These two things hard-broke my immersion in the game, and I had trouble staying invested because I couldn't get a proper handle on the scale for which I was supposed to be planning. Eventually through sleight-of-mind I managed to pretend that I was looking at hit-points, which after all is how they're treated in the game anyway. (But a dynamic hit point system where the more damage a unit takes the proportionately weaker it is in combat, which is reasonable.)

I take the troop strengths as simply effectiveness estimates  5000 might be 50 effectives but better than the 40 effectives that "4000" would suggest.

Anguille

I have all these games and enjoy them. I do think they are very different though. Overall, TBS offers a more relaxed experience.
Imperiums is more complex than early game Civilization. There are many state decisions (like birth rates) that you can take to improve your country. Morale is also something very important to take care of or you'll be losing cities and armies. The Mythology thing is optional. I think that it's much harder than early Civilization because there's a lot more internal politics. Also foreign politics is fairly deep with a lot of different treaties etc.

devoncop

Just bought this one today as folk on here who I have a lot of respect for seem to like it.

Also read the steam forums and the developers are incredibly responsive and evidently confident in their mechanics which is always a good sign.

Impressions later. The Alexander DLC has been wishlisted already to get the discount if I do click with this. ......I am such a skinflint  :))
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Indeed Gus ...Alexander DLC due in a couple of months...if you wishlist it you get a discount on release... O0

First impressions of this one are that it has a very good tutorial and the tooltips and in game help are also quite exceptional.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

^Drooling over it right now. And wishlisting. I may buy the base game post haste! In an ancients mood.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd