Matrixgames Warplan Pacific

Started by steve58, December 06, 2020, 06:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

^Perfect 100th post from Hot Lead and Dirty Talk!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

Can someone who has it, post a list/snapshot of any scenarios that come with WPP?  I've seen a list of the campaigns, just wondering if there are any smaller scenarios.  TIA!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

ArizonaTank

Quote from: steve58 on May 02, 2021, 01:14:52 PM
Can someone who has it, post a list/snapshot of any scenarios that come with WPP?  I've seen a list of the campaigns, just wondering if there are any smaller scenarios.  TIA!

There are five scenarios.

A Pacific '41 campaign
A Pacific '42 campaign
A Solomons Campaign with smaller map and revised scale
A China '37 land campaign (with smaller map)
An Okinawa '45 tutorial campaign
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

steve58

So, in this case, campaigns=scenarios?  To me campaigns, are usually bigger, more turns, more units etc.  I was hoping MG would have released WPP with some smaller scenarios (less turns, less units, etc) to cut my teeth on.  I'm trying to keep my wallet closed (for now), but am struggling.  I know there is an editor, so maybe some smaller scenarios will come out soon.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

devoncop

Okinawa is a very short tutorial campaign/scenario with less than 20  units per side

The Solomons is actually a bigger learning scenario  but better balanced  and much more manageable than going straight in to a Grand Campaign in my opinion.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

smittyohio

I'm just hoping that the grand scenarios will allow you to deviate from history and not lose simply because you chose to defeat Japan using a different route.

rocketman

I don't have the game, but IIRC you can set the AI to play along historical lines or not. However, the AI is more tailored to play as in real life.

berto

Quote from: devoncop on May 02, 2021, 03:42:58 PM
Okinawa is a very short tutorial campaign/scenario with less than 20  units per side

It is interesting that WPP supports such wide differences in map scale.  Contrast how large Okinawa is in the Okinawa tutorial scenario with the much, much smaller (one hex? two hexes?) Okinawa in the full-war campaign scenarios.

I hope that, without too much difficulty, ordinary users/modders can create new, smaller scenarios like the Okinawa one.  So that WPP can have a long line-up of "battle" scenarios much like Order of Battle has.

Although I don't see any such community-made scenarios for the original WarPlan.  Maybe I missed them.  (An Operation Husky scenario was attempted, but seems to have been abandoned.  Not a good sign.)
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Ian C

I wonder how long the reviewer played the game for.
In my experience it takes a while until the game opens up in ways you didn't see at first, making the strategy experience deeper.

nobodyjune61944

Quote from: Ian C on May 05, 2021, 09:57:48 AM
I wonder how long the reviewer played the game for.
In my experience it takes a while until the game opens up in ways you didn't see at first, making the strategy experience deeper.

If you read the review you will discover that he played it for a long time.

Toonces

I haven't picked this up yet, but I definitely plan to soon. 

I'll always hold up WiTP:AE as the gold standard for a Pacific Theater wargame, but I think I'm liking the idea of abstracting some of the stuff out.  Honestly, logistics is/was such a huge part of the Pacific War but man alive is it tedious to manage in WiTP.  I might really like streamlining it to simple lines of supply like traditional board wargames. 

I haven't been on the Matrix forums but I would imagine this is getting some discussion on the WiTP:AE forum; I'd be curious their thoughts.  They can be a tough crowd.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Boggit

WPP has a very steep learning curve, but once you know what you're doing it is very easy to play. If you understand how it works it is very rewarding and if you don't it is very frustrating.

I do have some very minor gripes about some things that make no sense to me in the game design, but overall it is very elegant and streamlined.

I recommend it if you are interested in the subject, air-land-sea operational warfare, and also have the patience to read the manual before diving into the game.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat